View Full Version : AQ faces river aggrssion 6 max 10NLH

lacrymosa
11-09-2006, 10:51 PM
This guy was 29/6. insta call/muck?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $30.45
CO: $6.85
Button: $12.35
Hero: $9.70
BB: $11.80

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif ($1, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.9</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.7, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.55</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises all-in $11.15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ??

CrustyFace
11-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I'd raise more preflop, but you are choosing a tricky spot in the SB there. Someone with AJ could be playing you because of their positional advantage.

As played, i couldn't say what i'd do, if he has pocket 44, thats a hell of a catch.

gir
11-09-2006, 11:04 PM
What was his aggression factor? Had you seen him do this before?

Raise to $0.5 pre.
If you've never seen him do this before, I'd be inclined to fold (although in the heat of the moment, I'd probably say "GOLD" and call). He more likely has 88 than 44 and just wanted you to put more cash in before he wanted to snag the rest. 88 would play this way if it were playing well.

lacrymosa
11-09-2006, 11:54 PM
his aggro factor was like 2ish. Anyway, I called, he showed me A8. Is this a common donkey line for playing flopped 2 pair? I think I have to take this baluga theorem more seriously

guess who
11-10-2006, 08:24 AM
I probably fold this, I don't think a 29/6 player would risk here something with less than TPTK (=AK)??!?

For 2 pair its played ok, isn't it? I hope someone can give details on this.

ymu
11-10-2006, 08:31 AM
His stats are irrelevant without knowing how loosely he calls raises - some 29/6 will only call a raise with the 6% of hands they'd raise with, some will also call raises with the other 23% they'd limp with. A ratio of 29:6 suggests he's calling raises loose unless these stats are from a single very limpy table and he gets to limp in a lot.

Raise preflop to at least 0.5 - 0.6 might be better as you have to play OOP and have two people who are already mildly interested in their hands.

avfletch
11-10-2006, 08:52 AM
If you are going to raise AQo OOP against a couple of limpers you need to be raising more. $0.5, $0.6 something like that.

Potting the flop is fine, but when he calls you he has to have some kind of reasonable made hand since this has got to be one of the driest boards in the history of poker! I suppose he could have a gutshot if he had 45 or something.

When a villain raises like this on the turn then your one pair hands are hardly ever good. Figure out if you've got decent pot odds to make aces up or something (which you clearly don't here) and generally just throw your hand in the muck.

There's probably not much point committing a pot sized bet on the turn. Sure, we want to charge lesser aces but we can almost guarantee he'll just call down with those whatever. So something like half pot makes much more sense because he'll raise his bigger hands just the same and you save money.

As for being the guy playing A8, I don't think calling the flop is terrible. As noted, its a very dry board. But generally you may as well stick a raise in anyway. You're stacking AK/AQ (which is a big part of a low stakes villain's range when he raises on the SB after 2 limpers) so I'd just be looking to get it in.

A typical low stakes villain will complete the SB with a *huge* range but he's only raising something like AQ+/JJ+ so his complete range is something like -

AA (the only hand in his range thats ahead of you) 1 way
KK - JJ 18 ways (6 ways each obv)
AK/AQ - 32 ways

If we accept that we get it all in against AA, that's really not often enough to care.

They hardly ever lay down AK/AQ when they hit an A so about 60% of the time we stack him (barring his 3 clean outs).

The JJ-KK part of the range is unlikely to make much difference. There's no way they'll double barrel an A high board with one of these holdings, so if you flat call the flop they'll check to you on the turn and you can bet. If he's c/f the turn then he's almost certainly folding to your flop raise. If he check calls the turn (he'd have to be a complete idiot to do this) then he's almost certainly calling your flop raise because he just can't fold premium pairs.

Sir Winalot
11-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Your preflop bet is ugly, make it at least 0.6. And to those saying call preflop, this is absoletly horrible. We have clearly the best hand preflop and don't want to play a 4-way pot with it, so raise this up.

As played, I think this is a pretty easy fold.

Edited to make sence.