PDA

View Full Version : IT'S ON!!! Poker tourney tourney to fund our cause is ready!!!

addictontilt
11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
extra extra read all about it
Tourney is on.

Full tilt is proud to present "Poker tourney against the Ban"

Here is what I need:

Name suggestions
I am thinking thursdays
we can have up to 3k players
half the buy in goes to fund org of our choice
other half to winners
full tilt will pay monthly to org
no fee, full tilt presents free of charge

if we want to fund something else than PPA, we need to set up now.

Need volunteers and suggestions:

thoughts?

spartaninpr
11-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm in.

Cubswin
11-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Great work addict!!!

My suggestion is that the proceeds be used to fund the operating expenses of a PAC. While PACs can not use corporate or foreign money for election activities, this money can be used for operating expenses associated with a PAC so this would be on the up-and-up with FEC law.

cubs

RGL
11-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Count me in!

tshak
11-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Regardless of critiques I vote for all funds to go to the PPA. I still believe they're doing a decent job and they have the potential to do a much better job with more support.

bigscore
11-09-2006, 11:56 PM
freeroll?

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 12:01 AM
sounds like a good time for a poll

Buy in?

peritonlogon
11-10-2006, 12:36 AM
This should be done at all of the sites...esp the ones Americans can't play at ;-)

cat923
11-10-2006, 03:17 AM
I am in, but cannot play on Thursday.

2easy
11-10-2006, 03:25 AM
i also think that the ppa would be the best recipient of our largess for the time being.

since they already have an infrastructure in place, the money SHOULD be able to go directly to aiding our cause.

the time to reinvent the wheel is not now, imho.

edit to say: although im not a tourney player, you can definitely count me in for a cause such as this.

Uglyowl
11-10-2006, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
full tilt will pay monthly to org

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work! Is this going to be a monthly event?

RGL
11-10-2006, 04:49 AM
How do we get specifics? Will it be posted on the FTP site?

ubercuber
11-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Excellent work. Thursdays are bad for me too, but if this is every Thurs I can take a night off now and then.

Might as well get the money to PPA, and call the tourney Poker Players Alliance Weekly Tournament or something advertising PPA.

Have you talked with PPA about this and will they help with the PAC?

Somehow this needs to lead to campaign contribution money. If PPA can direct it's members to your PAC, and the tourney can drum up PPA members...

Guess I better sign up for Full Tilt! Frickin awesome.

AAAA
11-10-2006, 06:59 AM
should have constant satellites to the event...

and vary the schedule from month to month to accommodate different time zones and days of week.

Richas
11-10-2006, 07:28 AM
For clarity - Are foreigners invited or does that stop the money going to the right things?

ubercuber
11-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I think the fact that the money comes from Full Tilt limits what the money can be used for, foreign players should be welcome... that's my take.

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Okay guys, thanks for the comments, had some thoughts and discussions last night, here is some updates:

1. discussions are in place with PPA, once I have better details I'll update.

2. From a detailed discussion on PAC's last night - the gist is this. The tourney funds will fund the ops cost of the pac to include advertising (YAY!!) We can use these funds to direct advertising against or for candidates or issues. Any direct contributions to candidates must come from individual donations to PAC to Candidates, make sense?

3. Thursday is a bad day for this tourney, friday or saturday night is better - we can have up to 3k players join this thing and its gonna take a long time to get thru it.

4. $10 buy in is better - it widens the audience, and instead of 3k in chips, you only get 1500, this will make the tourney go shorter.

5. Tentative first tourney date is either saturday nov 25th or december 2nd, we need time to get the word out, in other threads, one person offered creative services for banners, I will set up a blog on blogspot for leaderboard results, standings. and info on the PAC. Once the date is set, we need to visit every forum, blog, and everything else and get the word out.

6. Need names suggestions for the PAC and for the Tourney, please resond with thoughts.

7. Check out http://www.actblue.com/entity/fundraisers/8827, I want to setup a website like this to accept donations for the pac, any volunteers?

8. If you want to be involved, PM me, let me know where your interests are, I am setting up a contact list, with specialties, we need help to make this happen right. Got issues or thoughts you don' want to air in the thread, PM me.

9. Mods - once the tourney is set, can we sticky it in as many forums? Let me know.

Thoughts?

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
BTW - here is the backgound info for this thread if anyone is interested,

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID= (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7820336&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1&PHPSESSID=)

NorthDakota
11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
addictontilt... You are the Man... Excellent... Excellent...

The PPA is an option but I like the idea of remaining fluid... Gather money and let it grow and then wait and watch to determine how it can be best spent as time goes by and be ready to pounce hard on targets in 2008...

addictontilt you are the man!!!

NorthDakota
11-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Tourney Name Suggestion: Poker Fights Back Tourney

Bilgefisher
11-10-2006, 11:34 AM
If this tourny becomes popular, what are the chances of FT putting it in their little popup when you login? (Do they have a popup?)

SamJake
11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks so much, Addict! Whatever day...I'm in.

Eaglesfan1
11-10-2006, 11:45 AM
great stuff your doing here addicton... keep it up

big e
11-10-2006, 12:05 PM
The best option is the PPA for now.

1) It is already setup and has the same objectives as this thread. The only way to change the law is though the back door, using influence and money.

2) Individual campaigns will take up to much time and effort in arguing which is the best cause and what the best way of supporting it, and you will never get everyone to agree.

3) Need to keep the goals and objectives straight forward otherwise new players will become confused as to the goals and aims of the tournament.

Cubswin
11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The tourney funds will fund the ops cost of the pac to include advertising (YAY!!) We can use these funds to direct advertising against or for candidates or issues. Any direct contributions to candidates must come from individual donations to PAC to Candidates, make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me clarify this just a bit. Funds raised from a tourny like this could be given directly to the PPA who could then in turn use the money for funding the operational costs of a PAC. This tourny money can not be given directly to candidates nor can it be used to advertise the direct election or defeat of a candidate. It can be used directly on what is know for issue advocacy. If you have ever seen those commercials that say some thing at the end like "call senator smith and ask him what he is doing about XYZ" this is issue advocacy. There are certain limitations on what can and cant be mentioned in these ads such. More info on issue advoacy here (http://www.opensecrets.org/pubs/law_bagtricks/loop3.asp)

So if the money were to be given to the PPA it could filter down to political purposes in two (or a combination of two) ways:

1) The money can be given to PPA who can run an issue advocacy campaign with it.

2) The money could be given to the PPA who can then use these funds for the operational and marketing/fundraising costs of a PAC. The money raised by the PAC could then be given directly to candidates or used for political activities such as advertising that supports the election or defeat of specific candidates.

HSB
11-10-2006, 12:20 PM
When you get the details worked out I would send them to the following:

radio@bluffmagazine.com (bluff poker radio)
poker@tampabay.com (ante up poker podcast)
adam@bigpoker.ca (rounders poker show)
live@thebike.com (live at the bike)

I would also cross post to the affiliate forum as the affiliates probably all have large e-mail lists

autobet
11-10-2006, 12:41 PM
My vote would be donate it no strings attached to the PPA.

Will Full Tilt Advertise it in the upcoming tourney window and send out upcoming tourney announcements for it for it to players in games?

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
okay there are alot of questions about how much support full tilt is throwing behind this, here is what I know about the tourney specifics:

1. Weekly tourney - monthly pay outs to the org of our choosing - discussions are ongoing with PPA - once that is determined - that will be updated.

2. I emailed full tilt about getting the word out to the pro community - no response yet - can't check email except from home - will get back to you on this one, and see if we can get some help promoting it.

3. PM sent just now to my affialiate TITN - maybe they will help with promotion, if you have other affialiates, now is the time to ask.

4. If you read poker blogs or other forums, start getting the word out about the tourney - tentative start date is nov 25th, or december 2nd.

5. Once details are set, I will email the addresses that HSB provided (thanks HSB) and start setting up a dialogue.

6. Hopefully tonight or this weekend I will set up a blog for the tourney, I know of a few tourney management programs that can help with leaderboards etc.

here is what the immediate needs are -

Need banners to help something catchy that everyone will be okay displaying, anyone????

thanks

aislephive
11-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Guys where is this tourney supposed to take place?

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey Aisle:

It will be on Full Tilt the poker website. Not a live tourney...some touring type thing in conjunction with the tournament circuit is being explored.

That help?

otnemem
11-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Am I missing something? Couldn't you just as easily donate half of whatever the buy-in is to whatever organization you choose each week? Say it's a $20 buy-in, and there are $1,000 people. That's a $20,000 prize. So are you saying half of that will be donated to the PPA or something similar? What's the difference between all 200 players just giving that $10 to PPA directly and then just playing a $10+1 or something?

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
OT - you lost me, so if this doesn't answer the question, let me know:

Cliff notes :

1. Many people upset with how the act got passed.
2. many people upset at PPA
3. Idea we make our own PAC
4. Idea we fund PAC with monies from poker tourney
5. Half of the buyin goes for cash prizes, half the buyin goes to fund PAC, PPA, TBD.

that make sense? That's kinda the short story of how this all evolved. There is a history thread in this thread somewhere which will detail the intial brainstorm for the idea.

The ironic part that I like about it is a poker tourney being played to support playing poker.

Wake up CALL
11-10-2006, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ironic part that I like about it is a poker tourney being played to support playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? Wouldn't irony be if you were playing a poker tournament to support the people against online poker?

addictontilt
11-10-2006, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? Wouldn't irony be if you were playing a poker tournament to support the people against online poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I like yours better... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CallYNotRaise06
11-10-2006, 03:19 PM
this is an awesome idea. mods, you should make a sticky of this thread in the other forums. im in 10 dollars, 20, w/e.

Nick-Zack
11-10-2006, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
okay there are alot of questions about how much support full tilt is throwing behind this

[/ QUOTE ]

This part amazes me about this industry. I would think that FT would do whatever it could (including some kind of matching donation) in order to keep its business running. It is kind of like Party's stupid popup to call your congressman after the law was already passed - were we supposed to call them and thank them?

otnemem
11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither of these would be remotely ironic. This would be ironic: if you lost your last $20 playing this tournament, and then an hour later Bill Frist shows up on your doorstep saying, "Okay, give me twenty bucks and I'll stop [censored] with you."

Quasar
11-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Im from the UK and have been disgusted with what has happened to you US online players. I will play as often as I can in these tournamnents to support your efforts.

I hope that in the end, sanity will prevail.

Bilgefisher
11-16-2006, 01:30 AM
did this fall through? I kinda wanna bump this to see if anything new has developed?

ChexNFX
11-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Been wondering the same thing...