PDA

View Full Version : AKs: too aggressive?

Jay2u
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

Please comment on flopplay. Not preflop as my intended raise was to $2, but I have trouble with the slider... duh

Anyway, villain was pretty loose. He played almost every other hand, mostly small ball. He was on my table for about half an hour (30 to 40 hands).

I have not shown any hand in his presence, but won/stole some pots.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $0
UTG+1: $45.85
MP1: $48.15
MP2: $48.25
Hero: $75.70
CO: $22.75
Button: $51.20
SB: $101.50
BB: $44.10

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3.25, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $6.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises all-in $42.6</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($88.45, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $88.45)

River: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($88.45, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $88.45)

Results:
Final pot: $88.45

BlueArchon
11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Bet more on the flop. Betting 2 into a 3.25 pot is just asking to get raised and you have no idea if villain has air or a hand that beats you.

Call flop raise and re-evaluate turn. Fold to a large bet on the turn unimproved would be my line.

Jay2u
11-09-2006, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet more on the flop. Betting 2 into a 3.25 pot is just asking to get raised and you have no idea if villain has air or a hand that beats you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wanted to bet the same amount (a little more than half) as with which I stole some pots.

[ QUOTE ]

Call flop raise and re-evaluate turn. Fold to a large bet on the turn unimproved would be my line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I get the call-part, but with what information do I re-evaluate? A big bet could easily be a KQ, a set, 2 pair or even Kx.

I don't seem to get the re-evaluate concept very well, so tips are very welcome.

J.

Baintz
11-09-2006, 07:05 PM
In general, I very rarely get my whole stack in on the flop with TPTK. I'm especially cautious when a small ball villain reraises me. I call and evaluate on the turn.

Since you re-reraised and he pushed, it's very likely you're up against a set where you're crushed, getting 3~1 pot odds and only approx 5% to win.
If he has a huge draw like Qs/Js, Js/9s, you're about 45% to win so have the odds, but I don't have Pokerstove so couldn't tell you if it was right to call. I'd be folding though.

So, in answer to your question, yes, too aggressive.

BlueArchon
11-09-2006, 07:17 PM
If Villain is going to raise a pot/near pot bet on the flop and then fire a huge second shell on a blank turn with KQ, then he can have this pot. You will get his entire stack later when you play your flopped set the same way. TPTK cannot withstand that kind of pressure.

Re-evaluate meaning (a) You might improve to two pair or trips on the turn, (b) Villain may have raised with KQ on flop to see where he's at. Typically they will slow down on the turn when the flop raise is called since AK is well within your range.

ronitonline
11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
I def dont like the reraise after he reraises you, you could be up angainst a very big hand here. I would see how he acts on the turn and you can see if hes trying to push you off with a big draw.

orange
11-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I think this is fine.