View Full Version : Question

txag007
11-09-2006, 04:17 PM
A question for you: Are you complete?

Prodigy54321
11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
at the moment, I am lacking a ham sandwich..and I would really like to have one

UPDATE: I am now complete

txag..you'll really have to be more specific..I think we all know what you are trying to say..but we'll need to know exactly what you are talking about

DougShrapnel
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You get over the fact that survival is the name of the game. It's actually not at all different than what xtians do. Obey God, survive. Don't obey god, die.

valenzuela
11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
no, Im missing a lot of things on my life.( hint: jesus is not one of them)

Hopey
11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that I will only become complete once I discover our lord and saviour, Jesus Christ. txag, can you please help me on my journey of discovery?

benjdm
11-09-2006, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering my weight, I am more than complete. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

evolvedForm
11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
No. Dasein is never complete until it dies. We are not what we are, and we are what we are not. The 'Not Yet' is an extential structure of Dasein, so we are always becoming, and therefore never complete, until the time when our possibilities cease (death).

bocablkr
11-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I was but now I am missing some hair - and I miss it dearly.

chezlaw
11-09-2006, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
<--------- oh yes indeedy.

Hope to still be complete next year. Will you pray for us?

chez

FortunaMaximus
11-09-2006, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need to be, but the love of my life's coming up in 3 weeks. So I will be. Tell your thunder and lightning fella I still want a harem I can turn down though. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

What's the point of the question if not to slowplay another Christianity angle?

vhawk01
11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Yeah, this is about as transparent as the capping preflop then checking the ace-high flop play. We get it, txag, you got a set of aces, congrats.

txag007
11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is about as transparent as the capping preflop then checking the ace-high flop play. We get it, txag, you got a set of aces, congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no intention of posting in this thread. Just wanted to see what kind of answers it got and if anyone had the guts to reply to it seriously.

51cards
11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no intention of posting in this thread. Just wanted to see what kind of answers it got and if anyone had the guts to reply to it seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not complete, plz help me.

Hopey
11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of plenty of things that "take guts". Answering your loaded question is not one of them.

evolvedForm
11-09-2006, 06:23 PM
txag, if you want a serious answer, try framing it in an intelligble way. You clearly have an idea of what being complete is and what it is not. I also have an idea, and it's based on Heidegger's idea of complete (I posted it down below). But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

But let me ask you. Are you complete?

txag007
11-09-2006, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
txag, if you want a serious answer, try framing it in an intelligble way. You clearly have an idea of what being complete is and what it is not. I also have an idea, and it's based on Heidegger's idea of complete (I posted it down below). But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for.

Drop the assumptions.

Think.

What is complete?

evolvedForm
11-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Heidegger offers the best answer I can think of, so I'll go with his. We are never complete because we are always moving forward in time. We encounter the world as always incomplete, and we in turn are never 'done.' Part of what we are is a 'not-yet' and so until we die, we are not complete.

Merleau-Ponty offers a similar conception. For him, we are never complete because the world presents itself to us as an infinitely unfolding horizon, and we ourselves with it are always unfolding, becoming, changing.

What do you think? And perhaps more importantly, could you live knowing that you are and always will be incomplete?

valenzuela
11-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I answered no, do you want me to list everything Im missing??

chezlaw
11-09-2006, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't take guts to answer seriously. A serious question would help.

chez

vhawk01
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
chez, you are ruining his poisoning of the well. Only a coward would do that...

hmkpoker
11-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes.

Are you?

evank15
11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
No person is complete until he is free from the oppressive shackles of religion.

FortunaMaximus
11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No person is complete until he is free from the oppressive shackles of religion and formal education.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

evolved, in the absence of philosophers you've read, what conclusions would you come to on your own?

Prodigy54321
11-09-2006, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop the assumptions.

Think.

What is complete?

[/ QUOTE ]

txag...you're the one asking the question...you have to define what "complete" means if you want any serious responses

how are we supposed to answer a question based on such an ambiguous term?

this thread is terrible

madnak
11-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Not remotely.

I guess you finally get someone to jackhammer with your "then you must find God!" stuff.

evolvedForm
11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Fortuna, I don't know. First, To be honest I hadn't posed the question to myself before. Second, I can't easily separate myself from the influences of the philosophers I have read, just as nobody can momentarily forget the answer to a question to try to answer it without that knowledge. The mind doesn't work like that, at least in my experience.

FortunaMaximus
11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
txag defends his position vigorously because those are the influences of his philosophers.

Your influences are different. So are atheists', Buddhists, etc.

So even your interpretation of completeness, txag, is going to differ than those of non-Christians. And any moral victory you can derive from such is going to be a hollow victory, because the scoring is done by your own moral interpretations.

You're right, evolved, most minds don't work like that, and the recurrent theme here lately seems to be that there are no absolutes except absolutes made so by reference.

Perception of one's completeness will always come from one's absolute standard of completeness, not an independent standard. In this age, with the formal proof of logic that has been developed, and factoring in there are multiple thriving faiths, there cannot be a single standard.

Turn Prophet
11-09-2006, 08:54 PM
No. I'm missing most of my temporal parts. Nonetheless, I'm optimistic I'm complete somewhere.

JCCARL
11-09-2006, 09:28 PM
You had me at hello

Hopey
11-09-2006, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop the assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that people immediately assumed that you were looking for an excuse to proselytize just means that they have been paying attention and don't have short memories.

FortunaMaximus
11-09-2006, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop the assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that people immediately assumed that you were looking for an excuse to proselytize just means that they have been paying attention and don't have short memories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe some of them were blocking the obvious avenue to see what flows over in better rhetorical dialogue.

chezlaw
11-10-2006, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
chez, you are ruining his poisoning of the well. Only a coward would do that...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm very afraid that he is working his way down to asking if we've heard the good news.

I'd save him if I could.

chez