PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments on College Campuses

Burdzthewurd
01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Would love to hear anyone who organizes and runs tournaments NOT sponsored by the school with actual cash prizes (but no house rake) for students. RA's have said that any poker, fake or real money, is illegal on-campus, whichs sounds both ridiculous and made-up, and I've had a hard time finding any rules that proved this. I've yet to hear about a game or tournament raided at my campus, but am always suspicious.

damaniac
01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Well we ran some for prizes (no buy-in) as RA's at Michigan, and it was fine. They also permit charity tournaments, with payouts still possible for winners. So at least it is possible there.

Burdzthewurd
01-02-2006, 07:34 PM
They supposedly allow charity tournaments (though how much goes to charity is questionable), but aren't supposed to give out cash prizes. It's quite gray, and the RAs in my buildings are contradicting dicks who didn't punish each other for holding weekly games last year in the dorms, but will try and give any regular student the boot for holding a cash game in the dorm.

MEbenhoe
01-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I lived in the dorms the past two years and ran games and tournaments out of my dorm all the time. The key thing to note is that there was never a rake or fee of any kind. Also, the RAs and Hall Director were well aware of these games, but didnt give us any trouble, with the groundrules that we never had any money on the table, kept things under control, and left rooms in an orderly manner. Its all about having a good relationship with your RAs/Hall Director as they will be more willing to let this type of thing slide then.

JustARogue
01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I ran a tournament at my college in western PA for finals. There could not be a buy-in and I was told I could not give out cash prizes. However, I could give out goods/services/gift certificates. College administration approved the idea.

As a side note, payouts wound up being an iPod nano for top prize, and gift certificates for everyone else at the final table ranging from $100 to $10. It was a lot of fun and being a tourney director was a lot less boring then I thought it would be.

Sherman
01-03-2006, 01:05 AM
I am the founder/director of an underground Poker League at my school. We play one tournament once every week or two with cash payouts. We let RAs and HRs in if we know them. We do a great deal to keep our game secret. It has become fairly popular though with the most recent tournament featuring 30+ players (on a campus of 1200). I do charge a $1 entry fee that goes to a prize pool. We keep point standings based on tourney buy-in, number of players in, and finish (kinda of like player of the year standings). At the end of the year, the top 8 players in points play in a NL hold'em tourney for the $1 entry fees.

wegs the wegs
01-03-2006, 03:37 AM
We have regular cash games and small tournaments all the time within the dorms. The RA's themselves really have no problem with it whatsoever figuring most of them like to play along. The Hall Directors that I have had (all male) have a "Don't ask don't tell" kind of policy. They know we play and they aren't dumb so they know we play for money. As long as we keep the money hidden and are not obnoxious to students around us they won't say anything.

Last year to close down the school year an RA wanted to hold a Tournament in his room. He sent out mass emails to nearly everyone who was rumored to play. Well some rat forwarded the email to the dean and the RA was forced to meet with all the directors the whole afternoon. They made him send out a campus wide cancellation email stating the rules and everything. Well not ten minutes after I received that email I got an individual email from his private account inviting me over to a different apartment where the tournament had been secretly moved and play went on as scheduled.

Bob Ciaffone
01-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Laws govening this type of activity depend on the state where your school is located. For example, Oklahoma will not let you play in a poker tournament for prize money even if the whole prize fund was donated and you played nothing to enter.

Burdzthewurd
01-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, there was already one local bar that was raided and closed down for having weekly poker tournaments with cash entries and prizes given out, so it's safe to say publically advertising is not a smart idea. We have our own website on-campus that is not affiliated with the school which we publicize on and off-campus cash games and tournaments with a lot of success. But everything else is by word of mouth.

llamaoo7
01-04-2006, 08:17 PM
At Georgia Tech, we just have to follow local laws and we're good. That means no rake and no public advertising (posting flyers, etc.). We had a CA who was on duty approach us while we were playing a game of bridge after a tournament and ask wy there was $5 on the table. We told him it was left over from a tournament before. He then stated, verbatim, "Playing poker is a state offense." We all laughed at him and told him to get lost. He went to go complain to our hall CA and he had actually played in the tournament and told him to get lost. He then approached the director of housing with this and nothing happened and she's a bitch.

bkar824
01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I've heard of cops blocking one game at Univ. of Delaware (where I go). Some kid organized a tournament with a 10 dollar buy-in in the lounge. Of course, some girl contacted the Housing Director when the guy had posted advertisements for it, and she called the cops and they showed up to the lounge friday night at 8 which deterred anyone from playing.

The IFC has 2 poker tournaments a semester with no cash prizes, but tv's and ipod minis and stuff. Most of the money goes to charity.

thedustbustr
01-18-2006, 04:44 PM
At my school (in PA) gambling for money is illegal and will get you written up and money confiscated (potentially fined but I haven't ever heard of the fine enforced). Freerolls are allowed for prizes and there is a sponsored freeroll every semester for frat recruitment.

I play two cash games a week and have never had any problem. It isn't a huge game, 8 players usually.

neuroman
01-18-2006, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Laws govening this type of activity depend on the state where your school is located. For example, Oklahoma will not let you play in a poker tournament for prize money even if the whole prize fund was donated and you played nothing to enter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. What state do you live in?

Huggie
01-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I go to the University of Delaware too. I'm not a grad student, but I used to be an RA for 3 years. I have friends who are still RA's and Hall Directors. Within the past year, Residence Life (RA's, HD's, etc.) have held various poker tournaments. The money made from buy-ins goes to charity, and the prizes are things like TV's, iPods, etc. I think they needed a form from some government office for permission or something like that...I may be confusing it with a form to prove that the money went to a charitable organization. Maybe this post wasn't helpful after all. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

aujoz
01-31-2006, 04:02 AM
here in Melbourne, Australia, I've successfully run a fortnightly poker tournament, alternating with cash games.

up to 100 people came along each week. was fun, but full-on. some of the senior uni staff play too.