PDA

View Full Version : Calling station mayhem - Strategy?

tojx
11-09-2006, 06:02 AM
I was playing 6max NL10 yesterday against 5 calling stations. All calling stations were different.
CS1: 8$, 80/5/1.0
CS2: 30$, 100/10/3.0
The other CS's had 1-2$, 100/5/0.5 or so.
Hero: 20$, 20/10/2.5
Most notably all CS played entirely irrational, ATC. I played TAG with a narrow range here. CS2 was my biggest concern because he's not only a PF CS but also able to steal raised pots and can possibly spot c-bets that I made earlier. It happened twice before that I raised OOP a good hand, placed a c-bet on the flop with a broadway and he raised me 4x. The first one I called and folded on the turn, the second one I folded on the flop.

My problem is, how to play on this table, and how to make money here. Or should I look for another table? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Some example hands:

>--- TPTK ---<
Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
CS2 is Button
Hero raises standard and gets called by everyone
Flop: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif
Everyone checks to Hero, who makes a pot sized bet. CS2 calls, everone else folds. Turn comes with a brick. What is hero's action here? CS2 could have anything, any 7, any 3, any Q, could be two pair, FD or even trips. From previous hands I know he doesn't fold middle/bottom pair. He also slowplays the nuts.

What's hero's action if turn comes with a 7 instead of a brick?

What's hero's action if turn comes with a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif? b/f?

>--- c-bet as button? ---<
Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
CS1 is SB, CS2 is UTG
CS2 limps, 3 other limpers
Hero raises standard and gets called by CS1, CS2
Flop: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif
It gets checked to Hero. Is it worth placing a c-bet? Assuming hero did and gets called by both, what's hero's line when turn brings a J or 7?

+++
From what I know against calling stations you need to value bet all the time if you hit the flop, and c/f if you missed in order to make money. However when doing this they almost always folded, so all I got was their PF calls.

akkahai
11-09-2006, 06:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

From what I know against calling stations you need to value bet all the time if you hit the flop, and c/f if you missed in order to make money. However when doing this they almost always folded, so all I got was their PF calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling stations that fold? Maybe they weren't such calling stations you thought they were. Or they just didn't hit anything on the flop. Even calling stations might have a hard time calling with only undercards and no draw.

I know what you mean, it's very frustrating when you get loose callers to your preflop raises, but don't hit anything on the flop and are sure that they will call c-bets with bottom pair. I don't know if you should still c-bet in such a situation, because if you don't c-bet missed hands you will become very easy to read.

In the second hand (AQ overs), I think it's a clear check. You have two callers who you characterize as calling stations. Of course you don't c-bet against a bunch of stations, but rather take the free card to hit your A or Q.

First hand (TPTK) I'm not sure about. How about checking to represent a missed hand, and induce him to steal the hand from you, then call him down? This might be a better line to take if the turn is a 7 or flush card. But you say he will call you down with middle or bottom pair, so keep betting if the turn is a blank.

n1nj4.br
11-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Dont cbet multiway pot, specially against calling stations.

As u said, u have to value bet. Cbet much less and value bet all streets when u have TPTK or better.

Hand1 dont get scare of what comes. As u said, he slowplays, so he prolly will just call u if he has u beat, and u can check behind on river.
Hand 2 check fold.

Sir Winalot
11-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Don't bluff, don't c-bet, value bet them to hell when you have something, against these guys you can value your hands a little more and IMO TPTK is well good enough to go to the felt with.