PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Status Quo

SlapPappy
11-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Do we really want online gambling regulated and taxed? I mean wouldn’t that make our situation worse? I would prefer to have the situation stay as it is. That was what made poker so good was that I didn’t have Uncle Sam looking over my shoulder and taking out taxes from each session.

The damage has been done of course but the American fish will figure out the funding thing and which sites work. Do we really need PartyPoker or Pokerroom? We still have Full Tilt WSEX and Stars. That’s all we need. If the situation stays as it is we can just say screw the government until they rescind the act. I personally don’t feel I need my poker winning taxed anymore than they already are. I say status quo until they rescind the act.

iH8poker
11-09-2006, 06:01 AM
I agree, the damage is done. I'm not too concerned until Neteller gives way.

How Exactly does Britian do it? I would be willing to go by their model. I think winnings are untaxed, but do the rooms report them to the government anyway? I'm sure there are some player safe guards, but would like to know more.

[ QUOTE ]
Do we really want online gambling regulated and taxed? I mean wouldn’t that make our situation worse? I would prefer to have the situation stay as it is. That was what made poker so good was that I didn’t have Uncle Sam looking over my shoulder and taking out taxes from each session.

The damage has been done of course but the American fish will figure out the funding thing and which sites work. Do we really need PartyPoker or Pokerroom? We still have Full Tilt WSEX and Stars. That’s all we need. If the situation stays as it is we can just say screw the government until they rescind the act. I personally don’t feel I need my poker winning taxed anymore than they already are. I say status quo until they rescind the act.

[/ QUOTE ]

SlapPappy
11-09-2006, 06:11 AM
I would <font color="red"> LOVE </font> to go by the British model. Unfortunately, there is no way the government is going to let our poker winnings go untaxed which is why I say rescind this act.

However, I am not sure how that works since it was attached to the Port Security Bill. Like can the UIGEA be rescinded seperately? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

coachkf
11-09-2006, 06:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Regulated and Taxed" should have no effect on you as a player. You should already be paying taxes on your earnings from poker. Regulated and taxed means that the poker rooms themselves, if they moved to the States would be regulated to make sure that everything was on the "up and up" and their earnings would be taxed.

If you earn money playing poker (income) and are not paying taxes on it, you're cheating on your taxes. I'm not condemning you here. If you're comfortable with it, and can avoid an IRS audit, more power to you.

SlapPappy
11-09-2006, 06:33 AM
"Regulated and Taxed" should have no effect on you as a player. You should already be paying taxes on your earnings from poker. Regulated and taxed means that the poker rooms themselves, if they moved to the States would be regulated to make sure that everything was on the "up and up" and their earnings would be taxed.

If you earn money playing poker (income) and are not paying taxes on it, you're cheating on your taxes. I'm not condemning you here. If you're comfortable with it, and can avoid an IRS audit, more power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Bolecerek is claiming that 3.3 billions dollars can be raised from taxing poker. Where is that money going to come from? It will work its way down to the players.

I still say status quo and rescind act. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sniper
11-09-2006, 08:38 AM
More discussion on this, in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=7907805)

Jerry D
11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
No, because if you don't formally leglaize it the next time the Republicans win they will do even more damage to online gaming and internet freedom than they have already done.

chigger
11-09-2006, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Bolecerek is claiming that 3.3 billions dollars can be raised from taxing poker. Where is that money going to come from? It will work its way down to the players.

I still say status quo and rescind act. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. I think if its regulated, rake rates will go up to B+M levels to pay the governments cut. I could also see a cap on the minimum rake amounts set by the regulators.

addictontilt
11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
It would be nice to think that the status quo could be kept, but I don't think it can - The only way out of this box is to fight, take the offensive, and move forward - they (the politicians) do not respect us (the poker players). We want to be left alone, but can no longer accept that. We need to move forward - speak up even more, and have a larer impact on the next election. Then, we will be heard and respected.