PDA

View Full Version : Advanced understanding of Math and Physics?

Speedlimits
11-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Do you feel someone with an advanced understanding of math and physics is more qualified to answer philosophical questions over someone that has little or no understanding?

madnak
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Math yes, physics no. However if there's a physical or empirical element to the question, someone who understands physics is way ahead. Math and physics can also yield very useful analogies.

Logic is very similar to mathematics. Someone who knows math is likely to understand logic or at least deal with it much more effectively than someone who doesn't. Of course, if you've learned formal logic that will help more than mathematics.

Math is also, as they say, the universal language. It can be much easier to express a concept mathematically than verbally.

Darryl_P
11-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Yes, but only to the extent that such a person is more likely to have a higher level of general intelligence.

Take two people of equal intelligence and equal age, though, one being at an advanced level of math and physics and the other being completely uneducated, then I'd take the uneducated one by a slight margin.

AWoodside
11-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I think I'd have to answer yes, if it's good, principle based philosophy that strives for internal consistencies.

Most formal systems have the same general structure. There are axioms of the system and there are statements you can make by extrapolating those axioms. This is true of physical, mathematical, and philisophical models. A physicist or mathematician may need a great deal more of a certain type of technical ability than a philosopher, but there are strong parallels between what they do.

Speedlimits
11-09-2006, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Math yes, physics no. However if there's a physical or empirical element to the question, someone who understands physics is way ahead. Math and physics can also yield very useful analogies.

Logic is very similar to mathematics. Someone who knows math is likely to understand logic or at least deal with it much more effectively than someone who doesn't. Of course, if you've learned formal logic that will help more than mathematics.

Math is also, as they say, the universal language. It can be much easier to express a concept mathematically than verbally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this before but it just registered in my head. That makes a lot of sense, language is another barrier we have to overcome before we can understand the universe.

Speedlimits
11-09-2006, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it fair to say formal logic courses would be more beneficial over advanced mathematics courses in regards to philosophy?

MoreGentilythanU
11-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Yes.

I would even go as far to say that someone with an advanced degree in "Philosophy" would probably find less clear solutions to a given philosophical problem than any random mathematician or physicist.

madnak
11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it fair to say formal logic courses would be more beneficial over advanced mathematics courses in regards to philosophy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely.

Piers
11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Depends what you mean.

A random person with advanced knowledge of physics or mathematics will more often be better able to answer philosophical questions than a randomly selected human.

Advanced knowledge of physics or mathematics however is no guarantee of anything. Although a lot depends on what you mean advanced. A maths professor’s perception of advanced mathematical knowledge is likely different to that of a Hot dog salesman’s.

If you pitch your definition of advanced high enough (say to include less than ten people) then you are likely to have an extremely strong correlation between advanced knowledge of physics or mathematics and ability to answer philosophical questions.