PDA

View Full Version : I`m playing terrible, should I take a break for some days ?

11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I started playing poker about 1 year ago, playing live private NL games. the other players I used to play, where really horrible, and was winning consistently. At the same time, I started playing the Playmoney tables at Pokerstars, and after winning a couple of million in playchips, I sold some of them 20$ for 2mil in playchips (yes there are people who buy them).

I started multitabling four 6-max tables at Pokerstars going from 0.01/0.02 (5NL) to 0.02/0.05 (10NL) to 0.05/0.10 (10NL) tables. I have played about 25k hands on each level, growing my Bankroll to about 350$. I withdraw 100$ about a week ago, and since then I started playing bad. I`m playing Tag style 20/13/3, but I feel like a robot playing, and I haven`t realy enjoyed playing, and can`t seem to find my game. I loose 1 buy in and start playing worse. I have lost about 8 buy ins in a week. Also, been having some personnal problems lately that might affect my game.

Have other players experienced this ?

I`m trying hard to improve my game and move up levels, since I need the extra money to pay for some therapy for my son. However, usualy when I force myself of playing and not having fun I become a loosing player. I used to be a pretty good Pool and Billiard player about 10 years ago and used to experience the same there.

Is it time to take a break from Poker for a couple of Days ?

Any comments appreciated

LaMbaL
11-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Yes, when you feel youre becoming mechanical and not having fun anymore its definately time for a break. Go and do something else until you feel the urge to play poker again.

pr0crast
11-08-2006, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I`m trying hard to improve my game and move up levels, since I need the extra money to pay for some therapy for my son. However, usualy when I force myself of playing and not having fun I become a loosing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need the money, and you're still learning to be profitable at micro limits, poker is not the place to be spending your time. When you sit down to play poker you should be intellectually motivated to make smart decisions, not monetarily motivated to pay important medical bills. That kind of environment is not very condusive to learning, IMO. Just my .02.

And, if you are still at micro limits after a year of grinding, you might want to look for a coach. I'm sure there are a number of them on there that would do it relatively cheaply, and it would probably help your game a lot.

Best of luck.

P.S. Given your situation, if you want me to look at a 100 hands or so, I'd be happy to do it for free. PM me if you want.

EMc
11-08-2006, 11:30 PM
yea, take a break

Also, next time this is a microbrew content.

11-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Sry, I posted in the wrong forum. I have only been grinding the micro limits for a little over a months. Would really appreciate if you could go thru 100 hands will pm you.

pokerchap
11-08-2006, 11:51 PM
definitley take a break. don't read about poker or anything for a little bit. just completely clear your mind of it.

mother_brain
11-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Its a stretch to call this microbrew. A pretty simple post definately, but not stupid cussing about bad beats.

Just move down levels for a bit.

Check_The_Nuts
11-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Take a break for a few days at least. Don't continue to play when your losing. I definitely have a problem with quitting too early in highly winning sessions, but continue to play in break even/losing ones.

When I moved up to 10NL I lost something like $150, but managed to beat it at a good clip over a lot of hands for $400. Then take a shot at 25NL and am back down to ~200. It takes a while for the confidence to come back.

It may not even be a bad idea to play a little bit of 5NL. Those guys really are good confidence boosters.