PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic response from Claire McCaskill (new Missouri Senator)

Uglyowl
11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I am giddy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for the delayed response, but
we've been swamped with emails in these weeks leading up to the election.

Regarding the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, Claire
believes the way in which this bill was passed shows an outrageous abuse
of our legislative process. When she gets to the Senate, she will
consider reexamining the bill and welcome the voices of people like you.
This is just one of many examples of how Claire and Senator Talent
differ on the issues, and proof of the need for change in the Missouri
Senate.

Thanks again for writing to us. If you have other questions you'd like
to discuss, please call us at 314-918-8683.

We only have a few critical days before ELECTION DAY on Tuesday,
November 7. If you'd like to sign up to help get out the vote, we need
volunteers to help with phone banks and canvassing now! Volunteers will
also be needed on Election Day to phone bank, canvass and drive.

Please help Claire win on November 7th!

Find a Project Victory office near you:

http://www.claireonline.com/volunteer/offices.jsp

It's time we had a Senator on OUR side.

Sincerely,

McCaskill for Missouri

In response to my e-mail:

<font color="blue"> Dear Ms. McCaskill,
&gt;
&gt; Tonight I made a $25 contriubtion to your campaign since polls
&gt; indicate you are in a very tight Senate battle which may prove
&gt; critical to the make-up of our Senate. Specifically this is in
&gt; protest of the recent Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement bill
&gt; added on to the Port Security Act.
&gt;
&gt; Poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of Americans and not
&gt; every American has access to play in "government approved" venues due
&gt; to location and/or personal circumstances. During an 8 month battle
&gt; with cancer I was unable to be around crowds, but online poker allowed
&gt; me play the game I loved while keeping my mind occupied during a very
&gt; scary time in my life.
&gt;
&gt; Going forward, I would like to see online poker specifically legalized
&gt; and regulated within the United States like other countries have begun
&gt; to do.
&gt;
&gt; Thank you,
&gt;
&gt; Joseph D. XXXXX
&gt;
&gt; (###) ###-####
</font>

ChexNFX
11-08-2006, 10:06 PM
NICE! Good post.

craigthedeac
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
That's my Senator! wooooo

malo
11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear of your health problems, Uglyowl (hope things are on a solid upswing for you now), but as a fellow Missourian, a bit giddy myself.

Unfortunately live in the hillbilly part of the state. Really sweated the returns at first, but relieved that KC and StL came through again. Wish I could say McCaskill carried my county, but at least she got my vote.

mscags
11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah STL wha what

Uglyowl
11-08-2006, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear of your health problems, Uglyowl (hope things are on a solid upswing for you now)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Malo, I am doing great, I have been in remission for over 2 years now.

During 2004, I can honestly say that online poker kept me sane at times! When you are stuck home most of the time, hard to keep finding things to do to keep your mind busy /images/graemlins/smile.gif Poker allowed both that and contact with other people at the same time.

SlapPappy
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

SlapPappy
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Called my House rep Dennis Moore yesterday. Calling my senators Pat Roberts and Sam Brownback tommorrow hopefully. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Better late than never./images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I called my House Rep. before the vote in the House, but I never called the Senators /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Phenomenon
11-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Sounds good and all, it just looks like they told you wanted to hear to get your vote.

If you got this response after she was elected, it would look better for us.

candyman718
11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Where is that genius Cowboy? The one who said it was a waste to donate money to the McCaskill campaign. The one who said the Democrats would be just as willing to slam this bill up our rectums as Frist and the Rethuglicans.

Poofler
11-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Recalculating his IQ?

ChexNFX
11-08-2006, 11:19 PM
That guy was unreal.

candyman718
11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Recalculating his IQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Shouldn't take him too long. He only needs to divide by 2.

In all seriousness though, how could you read all of the information that was posted in this forum over the last 2 months and come to the conclusion that the Dems are just as bad for online poker as the Reps?

If you want to say, "I realize I am voting against my ability to participate in my hobby (or job) but on all the other issues I care about I agree with the Republicans, so I have to vote that way", then fine. Can't really argue with that. But, reading the posts that say both parties would have down this did a number on my blood pressure. I particularly enjoyed being called a 'Democratic Operative". Yeah I posted my first 200 posts on poker as part of a devious plot to infiltrate the poker world. All is good now though, after last night.

IronDragon1
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am giddy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for the delayed response, but
we've been swamped with emails in these weeks leading up to the election.

Regarding the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, Claire
believes the way in which this bill was passed shows an outrageous abuse
of our legislative process. When she gets to the Senate, she will
consider reexamining the bill and welcome the voices of people like you.
This is just one of many examples of how Claire and Senator Talent
differ on the issues, and proof of the need for change in the Missouri
Senate.

Thanks again for writing to us. If you have other questions you'd like
to discuss, please call us at 314-918-8683.

We only have a few critical days before ELECTION DAY on Tuesday,
November 7. If you'd like to sign up to help get out the vote, we need
volunteers to help with phone banks and canvassing now! Volunteers will
also be needed on Election Day to phone bank, canvass and drive.

Please help Claire win on November 7th!

Find a Project Victory office near you:

http://www.claireonline.com/volunteer/offices.jsp

It's time we had a Senator on OUR side.

Sincerely,

McCaskill for Missouri

In response to my e-mail:

<font color="blue"> Dear Ms. McCaskill,
&gt;
&gt; Tonight I made a $25 contriubtion to your campaign since polls
&gt; indicate you are in a very tight Senate battle which may prove
&gt; critical to the make-up of our Senate. Specifically this is in
&gt; protest of the recent Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement bill
&gt; added on to the Port Security Act.
&gt;
&gt; Poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of Americans and not
&gt; every American has access to play in "government approved" venues due
&gt; to location and/or personal circumstances. During an 8 month battle
&gt; with cancer I was unable to be around crowds, but online poker allowed
&gt; me play the game I loved while keeping my mind occupied during a very
&gt; scary time in my life.
&gt;
&gt; Going forward, I would like to see online poker specifically legalized
&gt; and regulated within the United States like other countries have begun
&gt; to do.
&gt;
&gt; Thank you,
&gt;
&gt; Joseph D. XXXXX
&gt;
&gt; (###) ###-####
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wonderful.

Poofler
11-09-2006, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I particularly enjoyed being called a 'Democratic Operative". Yeah I posted my first 200 posts on poker as part of a devious plot to infiltrate the poker world. All is good now though, after last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he nailed me early on too, I wasn't smart enough to come here before the legislation started. Read me like a book. I guess I'll just disappear into the distance, after attempting to sway the ENORMOUS single-issue young male poker player using 2+2 legislation forum demographic. On to infiltrating the Bocce Ball Club of America for Democrats in '08. WOO!

jhans24
11-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah, this in no way looks like a form letter just used as an attempt to get your vote. I concur with the previous poster. I would have more faith if this had come after the election when she didn't need your vote.

yad
11-09-2006, 01:10 AM
this is a great response, but don't read too much into it.

you have to realize that when she is trying to get elected but is not yet actually in office, there is a huge incentive to say conciliatory-sounding things (that nevertheless really promise nothing nor articulate a firm position on the actual substance of the legislation). there is no counterbalancing from having to deal with the facts of her record.

ahmngrn30
11-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Someone should write a similar e-mail to her and see what she says now. I'm too lazy to.

EasilyConfused
11-09-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't want to split hairs here, but she didn't really comment on the merits of the bill. She complained about the process, but didn't give a position on the underlying policy. I used to write letters for a Member of Congress and this is just the sort of thing I'd write if my boss didn't want to take a position on the issue.

I'd encourage you to write a follow-up asking her position on Internet Gambling, rather than the specific bill that was passed in September.

Wake up CALL
11-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Your Question?? [ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness though, how could you read all of the information that was posted in this forum over the last 2 months and come to the conclusion that the Dems are just as bad for online poker as the Reps?

[/ QUOTE ]

My Answer!! Because there is no evidence to support that position other than the political bell ringing of the Democrats on this forum. The proof is in the pudding which alas will never be served to you by the Democrats. If they do serve your pudding it will tatse the same.

disjunction
11-09-2006, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your Question?? [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My Answer!! Because there is no evidence to support that position other than the political bell ringing of the Democrats on this forum. The proof is in the pudding which alas will never be served to you by the Democrats. If they do serve your pudding it will tatse the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes your best bet is to pick a party, any party, and do your best to become an Important Constituency in that party. If you split your vote you have no chance, unless you number in the millions and become a Swing Demographic. I doubt that happens here.

Dems are a better shot because nobody there is Dead Red against you (they kind of sort of think that maybe poor people shouldn't gamble, but nobody is screaming it in their ear), whereas in the Repulican party there are many against.

There's a chance that the Dems are aware that poker players helped them in some races, we'll see...

Poofler
11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a cryptic and uninformed response. Look at the party affiliation of the bill's sponsors. Look at the party affiliation of the few that voiced anger over the gambling bill being shoved through without a chance to discuss the issue. Then go eat some pudding, and reconsider.

MiltonFriedman
11-09-2006, 02:04 PM
"the pudding which alas will never be served to you by the Democrats..."

That is precisely the point .. The UIGE Act would never be served to you by the Democrats.

The service of having that Act rammed down our throats was a bit off-putting. Looking at who was jamming it down on Friday, I would agree that not ALL Republicans would ascribe to it. However, the guys who were jamming it were ALL Republicans and in leadership positions ... Fortunately, Frist is gone and Leach got toasted. Hassert spend his time without a leadershi post and can explain about the Foley/pageboy coverup. Goodlatte can go back to wailing from the fringes of the minority side of the aisle.

Indiana
11-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I am so glad that I gave this lady some money. Who was that guy that brought it to our attention again? He's a freakin genius...

Indy

bocablkr
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Awesome - nice post. I would definitely write to her again after the new session starts. I just emailed Pelosi.