PDA

View Full Version : Poker won Virginia.

ArtMonkRules
11-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I know for a fact we made a differnece... I live in Virginia, and have several buddies that like me, consider online poker our passion, passtime, and even part time job... we all voted for Webb, and before this election, I had NEVER voted democrat. In a state of 6 million people, and an election of 2.5 million votes that appears to have been decided by a mere 6000 votes (less that one half of one percent difference) consider that if Virginia is inline with the national numbers, then there are apprx. 300,000 people playing poker online in virginia. If even a tenth of those players voted (and many more than a tenth most likely voted), then those 30,000 votes may have swung this entire election! I just wish the media would stop ignoring us... We are not a small group!

Blowup Doll
11-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?

MiltonFriedman
11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
I hope the final tally justifies your headline.

(I think Art Monk was a truly underrated player, just because he was as bland a public personality as anyone drawing breath.)

Cubswin
11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which party has been crusading against online gaming for nearly 11 years? HINT: It's not the Democrats

ArtMonkRules
11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they were. But we all know that this bill would have never passed in a democrat controlled congress... all the bill's sponsors in both houses were republicans, and the only people that argued against the legislation were democrat. The democrats were put in a position by the way this bill was attached to a national security bill, that politically, they didn't have much of a choice in voting for it... Are you trying to tell me that online gaming is not better off with democrats in control? Because I can't see how it couldn't be... While dems might not be "pro online gambling" they are certainly not the ones pushing the issue.

MiltonFriedman
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Well put.

ArtMonkRules
11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope the final tally justifies your headline.

(I think Art Monk was a truly underrated player, just because he was as bland a public personality as anyone drawing breath.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is pretty confident that the vote will hold.... last year in VA we had a recount in a close election with slightly uder 2 million voters, and the recount only changed the result by 30 votes.

Zele
11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
It's disingenuous to say the UIGEA was "voted for".

ADS
11-08-2006, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the wrong question. The right question is WHY was this bill pushed down our throat? When you arrive at the answer, you will probably realize that the Democrats would not have pushed this issue for that reason, and all the other reasons would not have been compelling enough.

WaimanaloSlim
11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which party has been crusading against online gaming for nearly 11 years? HINT: It's not the Democrats

[/ QUOTE ]

Go figure. Poker players help elect donkeys into office.

Zele
11-08-2006, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually rather funny.

Misfire
11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the wrong question. The right question is WHY was this bill pushed down our throat? When you arrive at the answer, you will probably realize that the Democrats would not have pushed this issue for that reason

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too comfortable with the Dems. They can be bought just as easily as republicans. If the TBC, NFL, Harrah's, and FOF put enough money in the Dems' pockets, they'd become just as passionate about "protecting" us from online gambling.

Wynton
11-08-2006, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact we made a differnece... I live in Virginia, and have several buddies that like me, consider online poker our passion, passtime, and even part time job... we all voted for Webb, and before this election, I had NEVER voted democrat. In a state of 6 million people, and an election of 2.5 million votes that appears to have been decided by a mere 6000 votes (less that one half of one percent difference) consider that if Virginia is inline with the national numbers, then there are apprx. 300,000 people playing poker online in virginia. If even a tenth of those players voted (and many more than a tenth most likely voted), then those 30,000 votes may have swung this entire election! I just wish the media would stop ignoring us... We are not a small group!

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be fun to believe this, but permit me to question your numbers.

It's hard for me to believe that there are 300,000 people who play online poker in Virginia. And even if there were - and 1/10th of them voted - there is no reason to believe that they voted Democratic, let alone did so because of that single issue. Most of them probably have no clue who was responsible for passing the law (if they are aware of the law at all).

Blowup Doll
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And yet they voted for the bill without a peep about the online gambling ban. Both parties wanted this ban.

Blowup Doll
11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the wrong question. The right question is WHY was this bill pushed down our throat? When you arrive at the answer, you will probably realize that the Democrats would not have pushed this issue for that reason, and all the other reasons would not have been compelling enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
So which reason did the DEMS push it in Washington state then?

Both parties are crap. Anyone who think the Dems are better than the Reps is in dreamland. One is a zebra with 30 black stripes and the other is a zebra with 30 white stripes.

jackaaron
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is getting old. How many times does it have to be mentioned that the way the bill was put out, you almost had to vote for the freaking thing. If you didn't, you looked (to your voters) as if you don't support port security. C'mon! So, yes, Dems voted for it as well, but they were really voting for port security.

Frist and many other Conservative Repubs were the ones that pushed this through. Yet, this isn't how Conservatism once was. Frist et al have changed things for the ideaology to include legislating morality (as cliche as that sounds, that is what they are doing). Therefore, I voted against them and of course we all have the right to do that. If anything, people that have been Conservative (like myself) for a long time should vote against the Republicans so they won't stray too far off course like they have. The only way to set them strait is to show them we won't stand for it. In the recent elections, I think it's pretty clear.

Cubswin
11-08-2006, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an expert on what happened in Washington but I do think your attempt to draw a conclusion on how the Dems might act on the national based upon how they acted in one state is a little flawed. There are way too many different variables at play to draw such a simplistic conclusion.

Let’s look at HR 5474, the bill to study internet gambling. In essence, a bill like this looks into the feasibility of regulating gaming. I count 41 Dem sponsors and just 9 GOPs. It looks to me that the Dems are more open to the notion of regulating while the GOP is just intent on jamming legislation through ala the Ports Bill.

Now, let's look at the most outspoken critics of HR4411. John Conyers, Shelley Berkley, and Barney Frank have been the most vocal pro-gaming champions. All three are, of course, Dems. Where are the outspoken critics of HR4411 on the GOP side? While not all Dems are unequivocally pro-gaming, there is a greater propensity for them to at least consider regulation. Meanwhile, Kyl, Leach, Wolf, Oxley and Goodlatte, all republicans, have been attempting to push a bill forward in some form or another since 1995. The Dems have at least shied away from proposing legislation to ban it.

In general, there is a difference between Rep and Dems when it comes to e-gaming. It is NOT the rule though. Going forward, as we attempt to get more organized we must remember this. There are players on both sides of the aisle who are our friends and we must make sure that these pieces of the puzzle remain in place if we are going to change things.

Barrin6
11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And yet they voted for the bill without a peep about the online gambling ban. Both parties wanted this ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you serious? Do we have to start another topic to educate you why the internet gambling bill passed?
No idoit is going to vote no on a bill that protects the U.S

Blowup Doll
11-08-2006, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. This is getting old. How many times does it have to be mentioned that the way the bill was put out, you almost had to vote for the freaking thing. If you didn't, you looked (to your voters) as if you don't support port security. C'mon! So, yes, Dems voted for it as well, but they were really voting for port security.

[/ QUOTE ]
The same thing could be said for many of the Reps. The fact is they all voted for it, and no one seriously complained about banning online gambling.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not an expert on what happened in Washington but I do think your attempt to draw a conclusion on how the Dems might act on the national based upon how they acted in one state is a little flawed. There are way too many different variables at play to draw such a simplistic conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
But it's ok to make conclusions about the whole Rep party based on Frist and Goodlatte? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

[ QUOTE ]
Dude are you serious? Do we have to start another topic to educate you why the internet gambling bill passed?
No idoit is going to vote no on a bill that protects the U.S

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand exactly how the bill was passed. I also understand that the Dems made no serious effort to complain about how the online gambling ban was tied to it. Instead, they happily voted for it too. Both parties are guilty on this one. To say the Dems might not have drawn up this bill is pure speculation. Both parties have [censored] us over enough to distrust them all.

Uglyowl
11-08-2006, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
John Conyers, Shelley Berkley, and Barney Frank have been the most vocal pro-gaming champions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget about Ed Markey either.

Cubswin
11-08-2006, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it's ok to make conclusions about the whole Rep party based on Frist and Goodlatte?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont believe I drew any conclusions about the GOP based on Frist and Goodlatte.

The fact is, Washington State is a whole different animal than the federal government. Not accounting for variables such as differing existing laws, the presence of state regulated gaming and different constituent priorities, among other things, weakens your conclusion that Dems and GOPers are one and the same.

Cubswin
11-08-2006, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets not forget about Ed Markey either.

[/ QUOTE ]

What party is he in? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, this really shouldnt be about parties... this should be about supporting those who are with us and winning over those that do not see eye-to-eye with us, regardless of party affiliation.

rubbrband
11-09-2006, 12:03 AM
I voted for Webb(brag) holla!

suzzer99
11-09-2006, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Use your brain.

ChexNFX
11-09-2006, 12:28 AM
This is not an option for them suzzer.

suzzer99
11-09-2006, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Washington is the most backward conservatively liberal regulation-happy vice-hating state in the country. I'm 37, I still get carded routinely when I go to Seattle. They would regulate bedtime if they could.

Andy Bloch
11-09-2006, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand exactly how the bill was passed. I also understand that the Dems made no serious effort to complain about how the online gambling ban was tied to it. Instead, they happily voted for it too. Both parties are guilty on this one. To say the Dems might not have drawn up this bill is pure speculation. Both parties have [censored] us over enough to distrust them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should go read the Congressional Record for September 29th. Here are some of the representatives that complained about how the online bill was tied to the SAFE Ports Act (and how measures to protect subways, busses, and trains were left out):

Democrats Hastings (FL), Berkley (NV), Thompson (MS), Sanchez (CA), and Markey (MA). There were some Republicans that stood up and complained. Two are from NV (Gibbons -- now elected Governor -- and Porter). One is Lobiondo, who's district includes Atlantic City. And then there's
Ron Paul from Texas who is only "nominally Republican" (I'd call him more of a Libertarian).

If you don't feel like reading the Congressional record yourself, you can read some excerpts I posted on andybloch.com (http://www.andybloch.com/gl/pub/article.php?story=20061031193348376).

If you think that the Democrats could have put up much more of a fight, read this Rolling Stone article, "The Worst Congress Ever." (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12055360/cover_story_time_to_go_inside_the_worst_congress_e ver)

autobet
11-09-2006, 02:31 AM
Nice web page. Thanks for your efforts so far.

My favorite quote from the Rolling Stone article, "The 109th Congress is so bad that it makes you wonder if democracy is a failed experiment."

Cubswin
11-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Andy

I just wanted to say a big thanks for your political envolvement and contributions this election cycle. I just took a look at some FEC fillings and all I can say is WOW! If every pro gave a fraction of what you did we could be in great shape going forward. Spread the word to your collegues and keep up the good work.

Much Respect,
Cubs

Mickey Brausch
11-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Anthony Curtis, in the latest issue of his Las Vegas Advisor newsletter, makes the same points about disgruntled American poker players in the recent elections.

He concludes, with a straight face, that politicians must learn their lesson that they "shouldn't really mess with a man's poker".

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mickey Brausch

rubbrband
11-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Blowup Doll,
I don't really think you know what you are talking about you need to read or re-read some old threads. Yeah not all democrats are against and not all republicans are for, but online gambling is MUCH safer in the hands of the democrats. If you can't see this then you are obviously blinded by your lust for the republicans or hatred for the democrats.

This thread was about Virgina being won by Webb(D)(against poker ban) vs Allen(R)(pro poker ban). Not democrats vs Republicans on the gambling issue. This is pretty cut and dry to me.

coachkf
11-09-2006, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To say the Dems might not have drawn up this bill is pure speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err...not speculation, fact. The anti-online gambling bills were ALL drawn up by Republicans (Kyl, Leach, Goodlatte).

To say that Democrats are just as guilty because they didn't vote against the port security bill shows you're a clueless GOP sheep.

I'm a lifelong Republican, but you've gotta call a spade a spade. This legislation was created by Republicans and included in the American Values Agenda (I believe that was what it was called?).. It was then rammed through by Frist leveraging his power in the Senate, in an attempt to score points with the heavily voting, far right base.

UIGEA was GOP created, GOP driven legislation. You can't get around that.

The Republicans want to kill online gambling. The Democrats are largely neutral. Therefore a Democratic controlled Congress is better for online gambling. Very simple logic.

Ray Of Light
11-09-2006, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Err...not speculation, fact. The anti-online gambling bills were ALL drawn up by Republicans (Kyl, Leach, Goodlatte).

To say that Democrats are just as guilty because they didn't vote against the port security bill shows you're a clueless GOP sheep.

I'm a lifelong Republican, but you've gotta call a spade a spade. This legislation was created by Republicans and included in the American Values Agenda (I believe that was what it was called?).. It was then rammed through by Frist leveraging his power in the Senate, in an attempt to score points with the heavily voting, far right base.

The Republicans want to kill online gambling. The Democrats are largely neutral. Therefore a Democratic controlled Congress is better for online gambling. Very simple logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uglyowl got owned (http://uglyowl.justgotowned.com/)

coachkf
11-09-2006, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uglyowl got owned (http://uglyowl.justgotowned.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

My reply was to Blowup Doll.

Love the "owned" site though. I'll be using it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Beavis68
11-09-2006, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which party made it a felony in Washington State?

Cubswin
11-09-2006, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which party made it a felony in Washington State?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who hasnt read the entire thread? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jrbick
11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Andy

I just wanted to say a big thanks for your political envolvement and contributions this election cycle. I just took a look at some FEC fillings and all I can say is WOW! If every pro gave a fraction of what you did we could be in great shape going forward. Spread the word to your collegues and keep up the good work.

Much Respect,
Cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty interesting stuff... if you need your blood to boil definitely check it out /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cubswin
11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FEC filling

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I know how to spell 'filing'. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Was late last night when I wrote that post....

Uglyowl
11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm at work and not going to visit an unknown site at the risk of some sick [censored] some people put together.

What's going on with this site (I don't feel like waiting 2 hours to get home)?

bocablkr
11-09-2006, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Far more Dems opposed the bill than Republicans. It was jammed through by Frist. It would not have even been brought up in a Democrat controlled congress.

By the way, I am a huge Syracuse fan and loved Art Monk.

SlapPappy
11-09-2006, 08:12 PM
H.R. 4411 vote. 115 Democrats voted aye, 76 nay. Draw your own conclusions.

daedalus
11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm from VA. I would have voted for Allen except for the Bill Frist Friday Night Massacre. That and a couple IM's from Senator Foley to a page got me to vote for Webb.

I concur with the OP's assertion.

rubbrband
11-09-2006, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from VA. I would have voted for Allen except for the Bill Frist Friday Night Massacre. That and a couple IM's from Senator Foley to a page got me to vote for Webb.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Allen being a racist pig?

Benholio
11-10-2006, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
H.R. 4411 vote. 115 Democrats voted aye, 76 nay. Draw your own conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol OK, Dems voted 115 - 76 for this one.
Republicans voted 201 - 17.
It was sponsored by a Republican, and co-sponsored by 32 Republicans and 3 Democrats.

So we should just consider Dems and Republicans equal on this issue on move on? Is that the conclusion I'm supposed to draw?

WooIsMe
11-10-2006, 03:22 AM
These issues won Virginia:
Iraq
macaca
median wage stagnation

These issues almost lost Virginia
terrorism
taxes
gay marriage
writing about gays in books
immigration

Sorry, but poker was one of the very smallest pieces of the coalition, and possibly balanced by the moralist side that lumped Internet gambling together with teaching evolution, and stem cell research.

Still, as a poker player, I'm hoping that the banks will be pushing back, and the UIGA will effectively be unenforced.

Cubswin
11-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Speaking from a Northern VA persepctive here is my opinion...

These issues won Virginia:
Iraq YES
macaca YES
median wage stagnation NO

These issues almost lost Virginia
terrorism YES
taxes NO
gay marriage YES
writing about gays in books NO
immigration YES
sexism YES

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but poker was one of the very smallest pieces of the coalition

[/ QUOTE ]

Voting is a very small part of the process of influencing elections. Poker players made contributions which in turn were used for election activities (such as commercials) which in turn influenced voters. Let me just say that poker not only made me vote Democratic in VA, it also made me contribute to Jim Webb, and I consider myself a Republican.

WFDeac
11-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Voted for Webb only because of online gambling bill myself, I know several others...

rubbrband
11-10-2006, 09:52 PM
WooIsMe,
OP is not saying Webb won purely off of poker votes but that this issue helped him much more than Allen. Proponents are much more likely to already be voting Allen for the reasons u stated. Opponents could be drawn from Allen voters or from people who wouldn't have voted at all. OP is merely stating that without this issue Webb may have lost because the election was so close.

SlapPappy
11-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Terrorism is a none issue. The war on terror is the same as the War on Drugs. USELESS. We will never defeat terrorism. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

roxtar
11-12-2006, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't vote for the ban on internet gaming, they voted for a port security bill that contained a ban on online gaming. It would've been political suicide for them to have voted against it.

cking
11-13-2006, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Allen being a racist pig?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a plus in virginia

EDIT: i live in south carolina... its a joke :P

ArtMonkRules
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WooIsMe,
OP is not saying Webb won purely off of poker votes but that this issue helped him much more than Allen. Proponents are much more likely to already be voting Allen for the reasons u stated. Opponents could be drawn from Allen voters or from people who wouldn't have voted at all. OP is merely stating that without this issue Webb may have lost because the election was so close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have stated my opinion better. The election was decided by 6,000 votes or so, which means that only 3000 voters would need to swing from 1 candidate to the other to change the outcome of the election. It is estimated that 60,000,000 americans play poker (1 out of 5) which means there are approx. 1,000,000 people playing poker in Virginia (live or online) if the poker issue caused only one half of one percent of these people to change their vote to Webb... that would have made the difference. I would be willing to bet that of the million people that play poker in Virginia, the number that consider themselves serious players, and consider this game one of the most importanat things in their life is far greater than one half of one percent.

RoundGuy
11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is estimated that 60,000,000 americans play poker (1 out of 5) which means there are approx. 1,000,000 people playing poker in Virginia (live or online)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just plain silly. Link to this stat, please?

goodgrief
11-13-2006, 04:31 PM
The racist pig miscalculated. He thought using a racist code word and letting out the story of his college exploit would get out the redneck hate vote. Apparently there are less haters than he hoped. Even in Virginia.

holyfield5
11-14-2006, 03:41 AM
i think getting blasted by jon stewart on the daily show lost him the election

jackaaron
11-14-2006, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I understand exactly how the bill was passed. I also understand that the Dems made no serious effort to complain about how the online gambling ban was tied to it. Instead, they happily voted for it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. Added to this is that some politicians didn't even know such a bill was added on. This was done in a very underhanded way, and it's already been explained earlier how this was much more of a Republican slanted "trick." I admire your need to defend Republicans as I have been a Republican since I could vote. But, it's very obvious to everyone that Republicans are mostly at fault here.

Backspin20
11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have figured that.. I love Donkeys!!! except when they hit that 6%

ottsville
11-20-2006, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard for me to believe that there are 300,000 people who play online poker in Virginia. And even if there were - and 1/10th of them voted - there is no reason to believe that they voted Democratic, let alone did so because of that single issue. Most of them probably have no clue who was responsible for passing the law (if they are aware of the law at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

If the state had 300,000 people who played online, the state would be running it's own poker site.

ottsville
11-20-2006, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The racist pig miscalculated. He thought using a racist code word and letting out the story of his college exploit would get out the redneck hate vote. Apparently there are less haters than he hoped. Even in Virginia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Webb only carried one district outside of the metropolitan areas of Virginia(I believe it was Albemarle). If we had an electoral college type of system on the state level, Allen would probably be in.

People are overestimating the power of the poker lobby. Even if we use the stat of 1m poker players in the state, the majority of them are not online players but social "Friday night game" players. And of the ones who are online players, very few of them are going to have that influence their vote - mainly the ones who make a significant side income or all of their income from poker. Personally, I fall into the latter category, but that did not influence my vote as there are other issues which are more important to me.