PDA

View Full Version : Meal Plan or cash at Atlantis PCA?

x00x
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey all --- has anyone been to the PCA at atlantis that can provide some thoughts on what is better value, to buy a meal plan or to pay as you go.

Thanks.

Perplexity
11-08-2006, 05:10 PM
This isn't specific to PCA, but I asked my brother in law about his trip to Atlantis, and he strongly recommended against getting the meal plan.

x00x
11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't specific to PCA, but I asked my brother in law about his trip to Atlantis, and he strongly recommended against getting the meal plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks --- was it because he didn't eat all the meals? I heard that individual meals can be quite expensive when purchased alone --- something like 20$ for brunch, and 40+ per person for dinner. If thats the case than a 59$ plan might be worth while, no?

betgo
11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks --- was it because he didn't eat all the meals? I heard that individual meals can be quite expensive when purchased alone --- something like 20$ for brunch, and 40+ per person for dinner. If thats the case than a 59$ plan might be worth while, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
Atlantis is a real fancy place, and most of the restaurants are pretty expensive, but the food what you would expect for that price. I was there for the Paradise Masters final table and they gave us a huge expense account, which required a lot of nice meals to use up.

FatalError
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
aparently the pokerstars meal plan is a declining debit system like a college meal plan that you can use anywhere on the island

it isn't a per meal system

x00x
11-08-2006, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
aparently the pokerstars meal plan is a declining debit system like a college meal plan that you can use anywhere on the island

it isn't a per meal system

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this is true --- however one still has the option to purchase a meal plan. My question is more would one generally spend more than 59$ per person on breakfast and dinner? If so then the meal plan is likely worth it, if not, or if its close, then the added flexibility and potential cost savings would be the way to go!

I know I have a meal plan worth $1150, which could purchase 2x$59 meal plans with the 15% tip and a few dollars left for beers. Alternatively we could just spend it down at the restaurants as we go. I was hoping someone who has seen the prices recently (2006?) could comment on this.

Deuce2High
11-09-2006, 02:59 AM
The meal plans work alright if you eat at the places it covers, but don't get one if you have a choice. You are going to want to eat at a bunch of places that aren't covered by the meal plan.

x00x
11-09-2006, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The meal plans work alright if you eat at the places it covers, but don't get one if you have a choice. You are going to want to eat at a bunch of places that aren't covered by the meal plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks --- what kind of prices does one find at the various restaurants? ie - obviously a steak would be fairly expensive but what about a run of the mill club sandwich etc.

Deuce2High
11-09-2006, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks --- what kind of prices does one find at the various restaurants? ie - obviously a steak would be fairly expensive but what about a run of the mill club sandwich etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything is like double normal price... Jamba juice smoothies are like 10 dollars. Also remember your debit card so you don't have to exchange money or pay in American cash and get ripped on the exchange when making random purchases.

betgo
11-09-2006, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything is like double normal price... Jamba juice smoothies are like 10 dollars. Also remember your debit card so you don't have to exchange money or pay in American cash and get ripped on the exchange when making random purchases.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Bahamian dollar is pegged to the American dollar, so you can use American currency, unless it's worth less and I was getting ripped off.

x00x
11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Bahamian dollar is pegged to the American dollar, so you can use American currency, unless it's worth less and I was getting ripped off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies --- I checked, btw, and you're correct at the 1-1 peg to the US greenback.

Prime Time
11-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I liked the meal plan for me and my family last year.
We def got good value.
I think children under 13 are free, so I may purchase.

Jurollo
11-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Guys,
Dont be worried about not spending the entire value of the plan. It can also be used at the gift shops too so if you have left over monies you can buy souveniers on the day you leave.
~Justin

x00x
11-10-2006, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Guys,
Dont be worried about not spending the entire value of the plan. It can also be used at the gift shops too so if you have left over monies you can buy souveniers on the day you leave.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif i guess it comes down to this; is it +ev to use the meal plan? ie. if you ate brunch and a normal dinner at an average restaurant will it cost MORE than the $59 it costs for the meal plan. I can spend my folio on booze so I'm certainly not worried about NOT spending it!

cking
11-11-2006, 03:58 AM
planning on going down there in attempt to win boat loads of money and your still stingy enough to know what EV would be for a meal plan vs. no meal plan?

That is kind of sad isnt it?

x00x
11-11-2006, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
planning on going down there in attempt to win boat loads of money and your still stingy enough to know what EV would be for a meal plan vs. no meal plan?

That is kind of sad isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol --- i have a wife and child to support, no point in wasting money... I promise you if I win $1m I'll be a little less frugal /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cking
11-13-2006, 02:47 AM
sorry, ft is on bday, and im taking that sob down... if i ever win a damn sat that is...

ofishstix
11-13-2006, 06:21 AM
I went a few years ago with my friend's family and they had the best meal plan you can get which i think is liek 100/day/person...Last year at the PCA 7 of us went to fathoms and the bill was 700+. I think on the best mealplan, that is included, so considering that breakfast and lunch are 30 each, I think it's prolly best to get one.

Edit: Just looked at the site. This is prolly what I'm gonna do.

$92 per adult per day, $40 per child per day

• This plan offers a full American breakfast daily in a choice of five restaurants: Seagrapes, Marketplace, Water’s Edge, Café at the Great Hall of Waters and Murray’s Delicatessen; and dinner in a choice of twelve restaurants: Seagrapes or Water's Edge, Mama Loo's, Seafire Steakhouse, Bahamian Club, Fathoms, Marketplace, Nobu, Café at the Great Hall of Waters, Carmines, Café Martinique or Dune. Dinner includes a choice of an appetizer; soup or salad; one entrée a selection of one dessert; tea, soda, or coffee.

x00x
11-13-2006, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry, ft is on bday, and im taking that sob down... if i ever win a damn sat that is...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome to it sir /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm in the MM.

x00x
11-14-2006, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went a few years ago with my friend's family and they had the best meal plan you can get which i think is liek 100/day/person...Last year at the PCA 7 of us went to fathoms and the bill was 700+. I think on the best mealplan, that is included, so considering that breakfast and lunch are 30 each, I think it's prolly best to get one.

Edit: Just looked at the site. This is prolly what I'm gonna do.

$92 per adult per day, $40 per child per day

• This plan offers a full American breakfast daily in a choice of five restaurants: Seagrapes, Marketplace, Water’s Edge, Café at the Great Hall of Waters and Murray’s Delicatessen; and dinner in a choice of twelve restaurants: Seagrapes or Water's Edge, Mama Loo's, Seafire Steakhouse, Bahamian Club, Fathoms, Marketplace, Nobu, Café at the Great Hall of Waters, Carmines, Café Martinique or Dune. Dinner includes a choice of an appetizer; soup or salad; one entrée a selection of one dessert; tea, soda, or coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but Lunch is not included, so its breakfast and dinner. If you eat every night at a 100pp dinner then perhaps it is worth it but I figure I'll want something easier a few of the nights. We're leaning now towards just running down the folio...

ofishstix
11-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Most of the nights we went to the marketplace or seagrapes i think. Both of these were around 50 a meal anyway

Apathy
12-04-2006, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah planning ahead is for nits

Confused1
12-04-2006, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My 40th is 3 days afterward. I told my brother in about 1980 that I thought I'd have $1M in the bank when I was 40....this is gonna be my last chance, so you'll have to settle for second this time. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif