PDA

View Full Version : 20NL 6M BB defense against a LAG

Vern
11-08-2006, 02:49 AM
SB is the aggressive type that will bet until he is raised then call if he has a hand and fold or overbet all-in if he doesn't. He likes to overbet the river with his whole stack and in 100 hands I have seen him do this at least half a dozen times. Stats PT 60/15/3.25 at 100+ with a river AF of 5. When he had a royal flush earlier in the session, he bet $0.20 into a $3 pot on the river. He is also trash talking everyone at the table.

I had just lost $12.40 to quads to another player in the last hand so I had missed the chance to reload before this hand started.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $27.38
CO: $12.39
Button: $6.50
SB: $23.72
Hero: $16.63

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $0.3</font>, Hero calls $0.2 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.35)</font>.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.6, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.3</font>, Hero calls $0.3 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.9)</font>.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($1.2, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $2.25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $4.95)</font>.

River: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($7.2, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB is all-in $20.12</font>, Hero ????

Am I strong enough here to try and pick off a bluff or have I already thrown money away and need to fold to avoid throwing more money away?

As always, critism of any part of the hand is welcome.

orange
11-08-2006, 02:52 AM
I think PF is fine, sometimes RR, though calling is okay vs. this opponent.

Flop standard.

Turn is okay, there are a few things you can do. You can either bet turn and see river or you can check turn to induce a bluff on river and call any bet/any card.

River I would fold. I need a super read to call here.

lacrymosa
11-08-2006, 03:18 AM
I fold and find a better time to stack him.

eigenvalue
11-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Fold and let this player hang himself! Don't call that!

It's great to have such a kind of player at Your table, because these situations belong to the best chances to double up Your stack soon. I normally use the following strategy:

I try to see lots of flops with this player for cheap. I don't care that much about position, because no matter what, I check on the flop and on the turn to give him no information about my hand. I will call most of his raises on the flop and / or on the turn if I catched a piece on the flop or if I have a strong draw because I will get huge implied odds from this player.

Now, sooner or later the all-in overbet appears on the river. I will call that any time I have top pair + a decent kicker or better. Normally I don't call an all-in with TPTK, but here it is sufficient. I wouldn't call him with less. I often see some people calling these guys with 2 overcards after a missed draw, because they put him on a complete bluff. That's exactly what this player is looking for! But lots of these all-in maniacs have some pair if they raise all-in. So I think TPTK is required to call. You need no more, because most of the time given Your stats on this player You will beat him with that.

I don't care much about betting the flop or turn, my goal is to catch him once on his all-in calls. Of course sometimes You have to raise a little bit to chase other players out of their hands and play heads up on the river with him. If it's not to expensive to go to the river with him heads up, me having a decent hand, that's all what I'm looking for.

Vern
11-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I figured his turn c/r could only be called if I was willing to get it all in on the river so I decided my J was still good and called when he pushed on the river. He had 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif and berated me for calling him. While reviewing I thought the call was light and did not want the results to distort the analysis. Thanks again.

FWIW I never got another crack at his stack, he started going pre-flop all-in every hand for ~7ish until somebody else got a hand and busted him.

Grifter
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
pf is fine.
flop is good.
Check the turn.
If you bet, you have to be willing to fold to a c/r. As played you have to fold the river. I don't care that you won, and I know you had a read, but you still have nearly twice the pot in your stack, and he pushed with a stack that covers. And now you have mid pair, decent kicker on a paired boad against a pfr. And what's worse, an Ace fell on the river. Despite winning, I think this is a mangled hand.

Vern
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
FWIW, I don't disagree. I will book the win, but don't like my play. I honestly was not impatient, I just saw him doing it all the time so I decided on the play at the turn when I decided to call the check raise that I was calling his river push. Had he bet small, like he did with the royal flush, I might be more inclined to fold. I still think I should have waited for a better spot.