PDA

View Full Version : Arizona $1 million lottery ballot measure

Shoe
11-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Just heard about it... the way I understand it is that if this mesaure is approved, 1 lucky voter in Arizona will win $1,000,000 in future elections. Now that could definitely create some high turnout in future elections!

I am hoping it brings out a bunch of people to vote against kyl, that would not normally vote. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

ncboiler
11-07-2006, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just heard about it... the way I understand it is that if this mesaure is approved, 1 lucky voter in Arizona will win $1,000,000 in future elections. Now that could definitely create some high turnout in future elections!

I am hoping it brings out a bunch of people to vote against kyl, that would not normally vote. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an American I find it very embarrassing that a state would do this.

helloimcdog
11-08-2006, 12:56 AM
this boggles the mind so much it makes my head want to explode wow

Shoe
11-08-2006, 01:25 AM
At first I thought this was normal (how bad is that?), but after the replies in this thread and thinking about it a little, I realize how ridiculously bad something like this would be. The last thing we need is uninfomred people going to the polls and selecting absolutely random boxes for the sole purpose of a chance at $1 million.

I agree that our country should have a much higher turnout than it does, but not by turning our elections into some type of circus like this would.

1337sauce
11-08-2006, 03:40 AM
it didn't pass so don't worry.

satya
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Getting people to vote is never a bad idea. How we get them to vote is the hard part.

People, even those who pay attention to the issues, tend to vote for incumbents or the name they are most familiar with. Anyone who came out for this issue alone likely voted for Kyle. I think this bill was a vast right wing conspiracy to outlaw poker.

Richas
11-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Australians get fined if they don't vote (with exceptions for the ill and recently bereaved). They also get a nice "none of the above" box. This leads to queues at Aussie embassies as those abroad get to vote "none" too.

DDBeast
11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Jesus, you should have seen the Daily Show on this....hilarious.

ncboiler
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Australians get fined if they don't vote (with exceptions for the ill and recently bereaved). They also get a nice "none of the above" box. This leads to queues at Aussie embassies as those abroad get to vote "none" too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just as bad as the AZ idea.