PDA

View Full Version : NL50...Is there an indisputable, standard way to play this set?

chesspain
11-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Bodog, nine-handed table. UTG seems fairly loose, and will chase with gutshots. He seems to have average (to possibly above average) aggression. I believe by the time of this hand I've already had a couple of hands where I raised preflop, and c-bet the ensuing flops.

UTG calls for $0.50, next player folds, I raise to $2.50 with 33, everyone folds back to UTG who calls.

The flop comes A23r, and UTG checks. I should:

A) Make a standard c-bet?
B) Check behind?

BombayBadboy
11-07-2006, 05:55 PM
C-bet. If you bet here without the goods, you have to bet here with the goods too.

tannenj
11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
either option is fine

kurto
11-07-2006, 05:59 PM
There's certainly a mostly standard.

I see no reason to slowplay now. You've been taking stuff with cbets... no reason to change now.

I also don't think you want to give away free cards. The board is coordinated... he could have an overpair... why give him fantastic odds to suck out on you?

Archon_Wing
11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Some thoughts

- The board is pretty safe. There's supposedly a straight draw, but it's nothing to worry unless there's a nasty turn or river

- By checking, Villian most likely doesn't have an ace. Which blows, because an ace would be most likely to pay off. If he is that bad, maybe even his whole stack. To make matters worse, even if villian should make a pair, the ace will probaly slow him down.

- So that leaves the question. If we wish to slowplay, is there really anything worth letting villian catch up with? There's just not much potential out there. Thus, betting would probaly be better since he may recognize it as a cbet and maybe you're trying to push him off so that maybe he'll call or even raise to see where he's at. Players that fit your description typically would probaly expect you to play your set slowly and thus not give you credit.

But I think it's hard to extract much value anyways.

At least, that's what I think. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kitaristi0
11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Raise preflop is whatever. I prefer limping.

Bet the flop 100%.

SavageMiser
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
There's no standard, indisputable way to play this. That's why we love poker. Although I pick A.

Stacks?

When I hit a set, I want to try to stack my opponent. If you're fairly deep, it will be much easier to accomplish this over three betting rounds than two, so start betting.

Unless he's a total aggro-tard, he's going to need some sort of hand for you to make any money, so if you bet the flop and he goes away, it was meant to be that way.

Acein8ter
11-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I'd Cbet for 3/4 pot.... if called, chances are he has Ax. (Just hope he didn't limp UTG w/AA)

chesspain
11-07-2006, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...I had around $55; he had me covered.

EMc
11-07-2006, 06:21 PM
chess,

The standard here starts with a b, ends in a g, and has double consonants in the middle.

Archon_Wing
11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Balling eh? Well, I suppose that's what all we uNL players aspire to do. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I vote bet because:

1) you have pfr and cbet before so he might "keep you honest"

2) the ace is an action killer anyway. you're really hoping loose villain has Axs and will call off some of the monies. If he doesn't have an ace, he could be chasing to much on this board anyway (freecard won't suddenly generate more action for you)

Slava_sky
11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
c-bet

morphball
11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
If you are as aggressive as you should be, morons in these limits will check their A-x quite often thinking that you are full-of-it, looking to c/r. Once they C/r, you have them more often than not. BET BET BET! That Ace makes up a huge part of his range. BET BET BET!

Also, even morons wonder why your not c-betting here when you have been before.

Do the math, you will make more in the long-run using all three rounds to build the pot.

kurto
11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, even morons wonder why your not c-betting here when you have been before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is important. Nothing is more suspicious then the Raise PF... check the flop. Then go nuts when someone else bets on the turn. Just bet.

chesspain
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless he's a total aggro-tard, he's going to need some sort of hand for you to make any money, so if you bet the flop and he goes away, it was meant to be that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a c-bet of about 2/3 of the pot...and my opponent folded. I guess I just wasn't meant to win much with this set vs. ace
flop. /images/graemlins/frown.gif