PDA

View Full Version : (50NL-6max) 77 overpair

danny8
11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25./$0.50.
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $22.45
UTG+1: $50
Hero: $50
Button: $57.20
SB: $24.70
BB: $25.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $2.25</font>, Hero calls, 4 folds.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($5.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $14</font>,

This is my fourth hand at the table, no reads on villain.

My reasoning for raising his flop bet was that almost every single card in the deck is scary to me, i wanna win it right now. I cant really take another bet on the turn so i dont wanna call and encourage a 2nd barrel from him... + if he just flat calls me he'll likely check the turn and let me seea free river

So, is raising the best play here? or is calling better? what if I had a read that he was TAG/LAG?

All comments appreciated, thanks!

Vern
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
I think he either has a better hand is or cbetting with overcards. What hand does a normal player raise a caller with? ATs+ AQo+ and PP. The only two PP you are ahead of now are 22 and 55, with 55 having an OESD with the keys. Raising makes all the ATs+ and AQo+ go away, also the 22 and maybe the 55, but all those other PPs are going to call since they have an overpair to the board as are 33 44 &amp; 66. I think the raise is good if you intend to fold to a re-raise or to a turn donk bet unless it is after a 5 falls. Check behind on the turn and then call a reasonable river bet.

Jouster777
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
If he is raising preflop with the top 5-10% of hands then preflop he has a PP about 40% of the time. If he has a PP (o/t 55 or 77) you are crushed and the preflop 40% goes up to ~50% with the cbet. You are putting in 30% of your stack to win a small pot half the time while getting crushed the other half.

You have position. I think I just call and see what he does on the turn. Oh, and make sure the turn is a 5

danny8
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he either has a better hand is or cbetting with overcards. What hand does a normal player raise a caller with? ATs+ AQo+ and PP. The only two PP you are ahead of now are 22 and 55, with 55 having an OESD with the keys. Raising makes all the ATs+ and AQo+ go away, also the 22 and maybe the 55, but all those other PPs are going to call since they have an overpair to the board as are 33 44 &amp; 66. I think the raise is good if you intend to fold to a re-raise or to a turn donk bet unless it is after a 5 falls. Check behind on the turn and then call a reasonable river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea if im called or reraised i intend to give up unless i improve. sounds kinda stupid but i want his overcard hands to fold, even though im ahead: 1) i dont want him to improve to a better hand, and 2) i dont want him to bluff me off the best hand when a scare card comes. My hands obviously not strong enough to take much heat. stupid thinking?

[ QUOTE ]
If he is raising preflop with the top 5-10% of hands then preflop he has a PP about 40% of the time. If he has a PP (o/t 55 or 77) you are crushed and the preflop 40% goes up to ~50% with the cbet. You are putting in 30% of your stack to win a small pot half the time while getting crushed the other half.

You have position. I think I just call and see what he does on the turn. Oh, and make sure the turn is a 5

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i can def see why calling could be better, + im pretty sure if i try hard i can get a 5 on the turn!

n1nj4.br
11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
raise here is the worst thing u can do