PDA

View Full Version : Okay to Turn my Hand into a Bluff?

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Here I am taking stabs at 100NL again.

Reads - Villain is pretty terrible. I've seen him limp/call OOP with stuff like J7s, 97o etc. I've tried isolating him on a couple of occasions and he sometimes fold to flop cbets. He makes *small* raises preflop with strong hands so I know hes got nothing here with a bigger than usual raise. He can't let go of TPGK postflop (and would generally raise with it)

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $140.06
UTG+1: $112.19
CO: $53.25
Button: $77.86
Hero: $92.30
BB: $30.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $18.5</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

I've been pretty card dead but his $5 raise screams stupid steal, I try to resteal.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($38, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls.

Resteal doesn't work - c-bet here ok? or is it too small?

Turn: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($78, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $53.8</font>?!?!?!??

I don't think he has a J because he'd prob raise me on the flop. His range is very wide here but I doubt the A helped him unless he has AT or A8. Push him off the hand here?

Ugh....

Phytopath
11-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Against a terrible player, this is a retarded play. According to your read you'll only be called by worse hands, so whats the point?

netstorm
11-07-2006, 02:20 PM
you're giving him odds for a flush draw... Punish him for his draws!

I think the turn bet is just spewing chips. He'll probably call with any jack, any ace, any draw and any made hand.

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok so whats your line then?

Is it that spewy if I'm getting 2:1 on this bluff? and factor in the times he calls with a draw and I suck out (the Ts and Qs are probably good).

ama0330
11-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Fold preflop. This is complete madness OOP against his range. What do you want to happen on the flop? Are you value betting second pair second kicker? Look at the flop - are you expecting a fold? Not even a set is gold on that flop. You are almost certain to get a call.

Nobody in their right mind will give you credit for the ace given your play thus far so your push is going to be called by just about everything, and there are so many draws/better hands out there that you are throwing money away.

Fold preflop, or just call and spike something. He's loose so you are not good enough to raise. c/f the flop, c/f the turn.

Maaaaaaaadness.

helloimcdog
11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
i see this happen a lot at these tables, you see a player whose really bad, perhaps a calling station, and yet youre getting it in with 3rd pair, why not just wait until you have an actually big hand when you get the money in here?

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree the turn poosh may be madness /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But preflop, I'm very likely ahead of his range... calling is terrible as it puts me in C/F mode against a wide wide range.

On the flop, check when you reraised preflop? He could have stuff like Ax, Kx, Qx hands that he might just fold...

Turn yeah, probably a c/f i guess...

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. This is complete madness OOP against his range. What do you want to happen on the flop? Are you value betting second pair second kicker? Look at the flop - are you expecting a fold? Not even a set is gold on that flop. You are almost certain to get a call.

Nobody in their right mind will give you credit for the ace given your play thus far so your push is going to be called by just about everything, and there are so many draws/better hands out there that you are throwing money away.

Fold preflop, or just call and spike something. He's loose so you are not good enough to raise. c/f the flop, c/f the turn.

Maaaaaaaadness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Incredible weak tight thinking, even assuming villain is thinking. and if he is, the flop is just as scary for him as it is for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Not even a set is gold on that flop. You are almost certain to get a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Villain calls w/ K9o for OESD

River blanks MHIG.

Although I still agree the turn push is horrible now...

kitaristi0
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is pretty terrible. I've seen him limp/call OOP with stuff like J7s, 97o etc. I've tried isolating him on a couple of occasions and he sometimes fold to flop cbets.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $18.5</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My post should be self explanatory.

Roadstar
11-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Basically fold preflop? Pls elaborate otherwise.

In the next sentence I did say: He makes *small* raises preflop with strong hands so I know hes got nothing here with a bigger than usual raise. He can't let go of TPGK postflop (and would generally raise with it)

Archon_Wing
11-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Against a weak/tight player, preflop and flop looks pretty intresting to me. But against a looser/passive it's probaly going to fail more often than not. The push, well... it's already been discussed. Like you already said, he can't even let go of TPGK so....

kabouter
11-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't understand it, assuming the villain somehow isn't a complete idiot, what could his cards be?

KQ - he wins
Ace crap - he wins
QJ, KJ - he wins
J10 - he wins

So what are we beating here?
mostly crappy hands....
You should just play tight and wait till you've got better cards.

Check_The_Nuts
11-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Turn is pretty bad. Your going to get called wayyyy too often. I'm not even sure if your valuebetting or not...

Here's my real problem with it. See if I can get this straight. You have direct position on a lagtard, and you decided to reraise out of SB with KTs? Your aware your only OOP for two hands an orbit, the other 4 hands your in position, right? I also don't see any value in taking control of the hand. He's gunna call you with crap regardless.