PDA

View Full Version : Playing Short stacks

grizadams
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Your probably wonder why I shoved the short stack on the flop..It's been my experiance that they will shove with anyting on the flop trying to push you of your hand so I just beat him to the punch. Tell me if my thought process is wrong and how I could have played it better.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?598724

Perk76
11-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I dont make it apoint to be playing ace rag against shortstacks for this purpose. Since they are so willing to felt any top pair, your 6 kicker is normally not good. Generally against shortstacks, I tighten up raising requirements a bit if you think they are push/fold type players.

I dont like just pushing the flop, since alot of the time you will just win pot there, and the times they look you up, you are not ahead with a 6 kicker. In this hand you got sucked out on, but not being results orientated, I think anyone that calls your open push is gonna be ahead of you.

In this hand, I bet the flop, and probably fold to a push. If they continuously do this, you will have their stack easily enough with a hand worth felting.

grizadams
11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont make it apoint to be playing ace rag against shortstacks for this purpose. Since they are so willing to felt any top pair, your 6 kicker is normally not good. Generally against shortstacks, I tighten up raising requirements a bit if you think they are push/fold type players.

I dont like just pushing the flop, since alot of the time you will just win pot there, and the times they look you up, you are not ahead with a 6 kicker. In this hand you got sucked out on, but not being results orientated, I think anyone that calls your open push is gonna be ahead of you.

In this hand, I bet the flop, and probably fold to a push. If they continuously do this, you will have their stack easily enough with a hand worth felting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point...thanks

kurto
11-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Sometimes I like to get it all in against shortstacks even if its something weak just to either (1) force them to play a real stack if they win or (2) knock them off the table.

I hate shortstacks.

Phytopath
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Playing against shorties is very difficult and frustrating, if they are good short stack players there isn't much you can do except play big pre-flop hands against them. Thank goodness most shorties are total donks that make dumb plays.

But still I hate playing Ax against them, stick to premium hands and put them all in early.

kurto
11-07-2006, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing against shorties is very difficult and frustrating, if they are good short stack players there isn't much you can do except play big pre-flop hands against them. Thank goodness most shorties are total donks that make dumb plays.

But still I hate playing Ax against them, stick to premium hands and put them all in early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit in the last couple of years I've noted exactly ONE person who played a good short stack strategy. Considering that there are 2-5 shortstacks at nearly every full ring table, that's a lot of people playing them poorly.

Jouster777
11-07-2006, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of the above. Just one other point...IF you are willing to felt it here (as you obviously were) and you expect villain will push if you don't, then just let him do it. The only effect of your push was an opportunity for him to get away when he was badly dominated and given your read you weren't going to fold any better hands anyway.

n1nj4.br
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
There isnt good shortstacks at micro stakes.

Bet your normal cbet and call their push.