PDA

View Full Version : AQ c/red all-in on the river

BombayBadboy
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $51.84
UTG+1: $71.75
CO: $61.11
Hero: $52.70
SB: $104.11
BB: $108.68

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif
2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, SB folds, BB calls, CO folds.

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($5.75, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($13.75, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, BB calls.

River: 6/images/graemlins/club.gif ($29.75, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $14</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $38.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $24.2</font>.
Uncalled bets: $0.3 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: $106.15

Wow. The checkraise allin on the river, it finally happened to me. Villain is your average 50 NL player. Preflop and flop are standard, me thinks. I think the turn and the river are interesting. Turn is where it gets tricky..the SD arrived. Check for potcontrol? Once he just calls do we v-bet the river or are we happy to show it down? Would any of your actions change if we had AK?

LaMbaL
11-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I would check the river, definitely. Everything else seems ok, nothing wrong with that. With AK I would play pretty much the same here, since were not really afraid of AK with our AQ here anyway.

Supwithbates
11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
i check behind on turn for pot control.
river is tough, this looks like a rope-a-dope and I don't see it used as a bluff almost ever. Maybe AK, a set, or 2p.
It's also possible that villian donkcalled all along with a hand like A7 and got lucky.
I don't ever see a "standard" villian taking this line with AT or AJ and this would be an uberweird way to bluff. Make a note and fold river.

Note that this would play out much easier if you'd checked turn for pot control; your goal is to not commit yourself to a hand with just one pair. If you do decide to bet the turn, check behind on river.

Pavan
11-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Why bet that river? Are there any hands that you beat that are going to call?

svidrigailov
11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
I check the turn because the flop is pretty dry (67 is the only reasonable draw). After the turn check I would usually value bet the river, folding to a riv check-raise, especially against an average opponent.

eternal_
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
This play is often made with missed draws (made hands are usually open shoved). But every draw he possibly had, would have been filled on the river so I see no point betting on river. And then again a valuebet is always on place on the river. But smells more like a draw so I would just check behind.

BombayBadboy
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes. A-x. It seems to be a hand villains at 50 NL don't get away from easily. This is not to imply that he indeed had that hand though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But in general I think you guys are right. Betting the river seems bad here for reasons stated.

BombayBadboy
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i check behind on turn for pot control.
river is tough, this looks like a rope-a-dope and I don't see it used as a bluff almost ever. Maybe AK, a set, or 2p.
It's also possible that villian donkcalled all along with a hand like A7 and got lucky.
I don't ever see a "standard" villian taking this line with AT or AJ and this would be an uberweird way to bluff. Make a note and fold river.

Note that this would play out much easier if you'd checked turn for pot control; your goal is to not commit yourself to a hand with just one pair. If you do decide to bet the turn, check behind on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems sound advice. Anyone got reasons why betting the turn is better then checking it? I like checking so far.

svidrigailov
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why bet that river? Are there any hands that you beat that are going to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not given the turn bet. A turn check might also underrepresent our hand to the point where Ax or 99/TT calls, for example. Although I agree that as played &amp; given this board its prob too slim. Turn bet --&gt; river check given this line.

Fazz86
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
I would check the river because youre not getting called by anything other than hands that will beat you.