PDA

View Full Version : Post-Election: Explaining What Happened

EasilyConfused
11-07-2006, 05:13 AM
I’m new to this forum, but I’ve worked on campaigns & Congressional staffs since the late-‘90s. I want to make a few observations:

Republicans are likely to suffer serious losses in Congress tonight. As poker players, we need to do what we can to make the chattering class believe that those losses were at least in some small part due to the passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.

After the Election Day dust has cleared, pundits are going to start writing post-election wrap-up stories. Poker players, and libertarian-minded voters generally, need to find ways to make the case that Republicans lost because the libertarian, small-government wing of the GOP has been pushed aside and ignored. UIGEA needs to be a part of the small-government case, and this forum should figure out ways to help that happen.

A couple points –

1. Two of the main architects of UIGEA, Sen. Jon Kyl & Rep. Jim Leach, are in unexpectedly tough races. Both had been viewed as relatively well-entrenched incumbents until about six weeks ago (coincidentally right after UIGEA’s passage). If either of them loses, someone out there needs to make reporters believe that UIGEA was a big part of the loss.

2. When an earlier, tougher version of UIGEA came to the House floor for a vote, 93 Reps. voted “nay.” Only 3 now appear to be in any danger of losing their re-election bids:

Richard Pombo (CA-11)
Jon Porter (NV-03)
Pat Tiberi (OH-12)

All 3 are at least slightly favored to win. If all 93 “nays” are re-elected in a year when a large number of incumbents are fired by their constituents, we have another opportunity to make our point. It would be tough to say that the 93 won their races simply because of UIGEA, but we could certainly say that the 93 were more in tune with the non-intrusive small-government wishes of their voters.

So how do we get these messages out? And how else do we bolster our case? I don’t know, but we should be thinking about it right now. I know there are people on this forum who have press & political connections. Let’s figure out how to use them.

We have an opportunity to throw a big scare into the political class in this country. After an election, political types are beset by piles of contradictory and confusing numbers, and consultants, pollsters & reporters purporting to explain what just happened. Often the loudest voice in the room ends up shaping the conventional wisdom.

Let’s get loud.

I Hate Frist
11-07-2006, 05:58 AM
I agree 100%. The only way to make a significant impact is politically. If Jon Kyl loses, he'll be our best case. There was a specific fund set up by poker players to oppose him, which looks great, especially if the margin of defeat is very small. I wish I had the ability to help here, but i'm fairly un-connected. This is an idea that people can rally around though, mainly because it has a legitimate chance of helping our cause. Like the man said... Let's get loud.

NorthDakota
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
The OP is Spot on... If anyone is talked to by pollsters leaving the booth... The UIGEA should be the first thing out of your mouth...

Beavis68
11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I just voted for Jon Kyl.

Voting out of spite is idiotic.

faustusmedea
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
>> Voting out of spite is idiotic.

OK. Thats fine, and you should definitely vote whatever you views are. All I think poker players are asking is that Kyl supporters should contact him and let him know you don't like the focus on our game. If you can come to this forum and say you have done so, then cool.

BTW, I wouldn't be so quick to cast aspersions on your fellow players. Voting is every american's right and if someone uses their right in support of a single or specific viewpoint, who the hell are you to call them idiotic?

addictontilt
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Great ya voted!!!

You vote your way, I'll vote mine /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NorthDakota
11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Voting out of spite is the American Way...

Moneyline
11-07-2006, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who the hell are you to call them idiotic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even go down this road. This poster, and about 2 or 3 others on this forum, have made several posts making it clear that they intend to support Republican candidates regardless of their stance on online gambling legislation, and they have tried to convince others to do the same.

Just be thankful we haven't heard from the guy who thinks all the poker voters here are undercover "democratic operatives."

faustusmedea
11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
My point exactly. When we devolve in to red/blue, poker loses. If you are democrat or don't care, then vote against the proponents of the legislation. If you are republican and cannot, then make sure you contact your rep and let them know you don't like the anti-poker stance. Anything that divides us as players is a win for "them"

Berge20
11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Good post

Certainly a lot easier said than done, but no doubt that if Kyl gets a real threat that should be where we point to. Same with Leach, but probably to a lesser extent.

I'm skeptical about how much play this would have with the media. As a voting bloc (and I use that term very, very loosely), the poker community is simply just getting into the game. Hard for the media to pick up and run on the concept without a lot of hard evidence.

Regardless, good post with important points.

EasilyConfused
11-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh, I don't believe anyone is going to write a story pointing specifically to UIGEA as the reason Republicans lost. Obviously, if the GOP loses Congress, most of the blame will fall on Iraq & Administration competence issues.

However, I do think there will be reporters who make a "laundry list," where they name 9 or 10 reasons for GOP setbacks. I think our goal should be to try to make sure UIGEA is mentioned near the end of that list.

Other reporters will probably write "libertarians stayed home/flipped to the Democrats"-type stories. I think UIGEA can be a part of that story.

The important thing is to figure out which of our friends can help raise these issues with the chattering class, and soon.

Beavis68
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
[quote}
OK. Thats fine, and you should definitely vote whatever you views are. All I think poker players are asking is that Kyl supporters should contact him and let him know you don't like the focus on our game. If you can come to this forum and say you have done so, then cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done so. I wrote Kyl, McCain, Jeff Flake, and just for good measure I sent a copy to JD Hayworth also - even though I am not in his district.

I told them I was very disappointed and I thought they were being very disingenuous.

U2ForNow
11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Republicans are likely to suffer serious losses in Congress tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will believe it when I see it. I think voting one way based on the fact that we want poker money transfers to be legal is not the smartest tactic. I am hopeful we will be able to apply pressure to future candidates, but poker players are in the minority when it comes to major issues. IMHO.

ericicecream
11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm skeptical about how much play this would have with the media. As a voting bloc (and I use that term very, very loosely), the poker community is simply just getting into the game. Hard for the media to pick up and run on the concept without a lot of hard evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe true, but I don't see any downside to trying to push this idea. It's a freeroll.

Cubswin
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Voting out of spite is idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Americans seem to vote with their wallets in mind. Many here have been (or soon will be) adversely effected by what Jon Kyl has been advocating for nearly 11 years. This is not a vote out of spite but rather a vote in one's financial best interest.