PDA

View Full Version : .01/.02NL, two pair on the flop, confused about my objectives

PotatoStew
11-07-2006, 01:44 AM
.01/.02 NL ... fairly loose, relatively passive table.

UTG (stack:$1.30) limps in
UTG+1 (stack: $4.74) had posted a dead blind, he checks
I have 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and a $4.13 stack - I limp in
1 fold
Cutoff ($2.48) limps
Button ($5.34) limps
SB ($2.96) completes
BB ($3) checks.

Flop is 2/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, pot is about 15 cents.

Checked to me, I bet .10. CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, the rest fold.

3 to the Turn: [2/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif] K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, pot is 45 cents.

SB bets .04

I...???

What is my move here, and why? What am I trying to accomplish? Do I want to milk him with a small raise? String him along with a call? Protect my hand with a big raise?

PotatoStew
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
No help? Everyone else confused about my objectives too? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Badger83
11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I think I would raise to maybe $1 with the intention of checking behind on the turn, there's a decent chance he has a hand like KQ, KJ, KT and paired his K. The only hands we are worried about him having are KK, 99, 88, 22, K9, K8 and K2. I think we can rule out KK (raise pf), 99 and 88 would raise flop or go for the turn check-raise, and K9/8 are also unlikely (we have one of the remaining 8s and 9s).

I think we are ahead of his range here so a raise is in order.

Perk76
11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Raise it to .45, start trying to build a pot. Base your next action on the villans response to your reraise. Hope you have a read to go along with him.

Best part about the .1/.2 game is that you have alot of BB's to work with, and can take large parts of others stacks. Assuming you are not playing super nitty, build alot of pots with alot of raising, and when you make the nuts/near nuts, people will pay you off with alot of BB's.

Badger83
11-07-2006, 10:54 AM
oops my turn raise is way too big, i thought SB bet 40 cents, not 4. As said above 45c is a good raise, not $1 lol, sorry.

svidrigailov
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Given that this is a limped pot, hands are not clearly defined and the board is drawy. Definitely raise for value/to protect your hand, maybe around pot-sized so ~.50. Calling will make the river hard to play well, depending on what card comes.

The goal is to get villain to call with Kx and play a medium-sized pot considering stack sizes & that you have the button left to act.

kabouter
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Start raising, you don't want to see somebody catching a flush on the river... I would make it a pot bet, if somebody has a king they will call. Otherwise they aren't going to pay you anyways, unless they hit their flush, and you will have to pay them /images/graemlins/wink.gif

HotdogPoker
11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I think you definitely need to raise here, as the button is acting like he is drawing and a small raise here would give him the right price to draw. I would raise to about 40c or 45c to protect your hand.

PotatoStew
11-07-2006, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise they aren't going to pay you anyways, unless they hit their flush, and you will have to pay them /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like the general consensus is a pot-sized raise. The above statement brings up another question - having made a pot sized raise on the turn, under what circumstances do I ditch the hand? If Button or SB reraise big, or push, am I folding, or going along for the ride? If they simply call, but a scare card comes on the river, what's the plan (and does it depend on the exact scare card - three to a flush vs. another K for instance)?

kurto
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
You raise because your objective is to get value out of your hand which is probably the best at the moment.

Hi5
11-07-2006, 02:30 PM
There are no easy answers. You might have to fold to a reraise on the turn unless you have some decent reason to believe that you have the better hand, such as noticing that the opponent has shown a lot of bluffs after making big moves or knowing that the opponent would risk his/her stack with just top pair.

Unfortunately, a lot of the 1c/2c NL players cannot play straightforward poker correctly, so they are very hard to read.