PDA

View Full Version : $25max 6m Slowplaying

Reid L
11-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I find that I almost never slow play. If im in a pot its usually because I raised into it. Unless I get too many callers I will cbet the flop. So when I hit the flop I always bet out, the same amount I would cbet if I had missed. When I improve on the turn I bet, usually about the size of the pot. There is almost always some sort of draw the Villian could have so I usually dont check the turn. So when is the appropiate time to slow play a hand? Should I only slowplay with the nuts after the turn after raising PF and the flop? I guess thats not really slowplaying though.

EMc
11-06-2006, 10:37 PM
rarely. If ever. I say this a lot but it seems to go unnoticed I think, but in uNL and SSNL:

SLOWPLAYING REQUIRES A READ

And I don't mean that he is just 23/12/3 or 46/2/0, but an actual read. If you know that villain will only lead into a PFR with 2pr or better, and will play his hand hard, and you can beat 2pr or better, then a slowplay is maybe ok. But that is a specific read. Without a specific read playing your hand fast is usually (almost always) correct.

4_2_it
11-06-2006, 10:39 PM
If you never slow play at uNL then you are probably fine.

If you have AQ on AAQ board or TT on a T77 board, then I'd slow play one street because I have the deck crippled and need to let someone catch up or decide to bluff.

With straights and flushes I rarely slow play.

Shaddux
11-06-2006, 10:47 PM
If the deck is cripplied, it might not matter either way. Slowplaying a street is fine, but sometimes I just pray that villain hit trips or something.

Vammakala
11-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I think slowplaying quads on a very dry board is one of the exceptions to this rule. And I don't mean 92 on 222 flop because any PP will probably go broke there on these limits but something like 33 on 833 rainbow board. That might be worth slowplaying - you want your opponent to make a good second best hand that you'll STACK THEM OFF with. Other than that, it's generally best to just bet to them.

You can bet and give correct odds for people to call to hit their worse hands etc, but betting is still usually correct because you won't make money off a missed draw and the draws will generally call you anyway. The caveat at this is that you might end up being the second best hand yourself which would suck, now wouldn't it. That's why you need very solid hand to do it in the first place (well this isn't always true, but it's pretty good quideline).

If you know someone is a 3-barrelin' LAGtard, then slowplaying might be okay as you know he'll be throwing money at you as long as you keep checking/calling but could get away if you raised etc.

It's like 4_2_it said though, if you never slowplay, you're probably still fine. It's really not mandatory and often just ends up losing value (people are stations! abuse it!)

Phytopath
11-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Agreed about slowplaying, don't do it often with your monsters. I do it sometimes, but it is usually with my hands that are strong but not the nuts, where I am probably way ahead, but not far enough ahead where I want to go broke and don't wanna kill my action. But yeah this requires a read.

So I sometimes slowplay trips, but straights flushes and sets I very rarely slowplay.

If your opponents are observant, the odd slowplay will keep them alot more honest when you smooth call a street.

Reid L
11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys.