PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever correct to raise for "information" ?

Oranzith
11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I avoid raising for information just about all the time, as it appears to fold worse hands and either get 3b or called by better hands.

Obvious example is WA/WB situations where you hold AJ on A62r board in position facing a raise. However is it ok to raise A 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif to test for a draw?

Or what about an overpair facing a raise? QQ on J66 board.

What about an underpair with 1 higher card? QQ on K62r

Some questions to the various hands above:
Is there generally a safer way to play these types of hands? Calling down and reevaluating I think seems safer. If checked to on the turn its probably +EV to bet out 2/3-3/4 pot, but if they lead the turn are we done? How does them leading OOP tell us anything in a WA/WB situation? (unsure kicker, etc)

I find myself getting in trouble here a lot, and think I am missing some critical link

matrix
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
raise for value, raise for protection, raise as a bluff(sometimes)

information is an overrated spinoff side benefit ad it's almost never correct to raise just to "see where you're at"

often the information you get is faulty and it's overpriced.

If you're WA/WB call him down and keep the pot small. If you raise the 2flush board you fold the hands you beat and get called by the hands that beat you (unless villain is a station in which case your info is no goot)

[ QUOTE ]
If checked to on the turn its probably +EV to bet out 2/3-3/4 pot, but if they lead the turn are we done? How does them leading OOP tell us anything in a WA/WB situation? (unsure kicker, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

if checked to on the turn in these spots check the turn through (we have SD value) and call a reasonable river bet if the likely draw missed. Raising here is spew.

Big hand BIG POT - Small hand small pot - in your examples above you have a small hand - so use position to keep the pot small.

See this weeks Concept thread by Emc.

4_2_it
11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
matrix, excellent post. The only thing I would add is that OP should read Theory of Poker. There is a section that discusses betting/raising for information (matrix covered most of it in his post).

Oranzith
11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
cool. this post was actually inspired because I read this weeks Concept and was looking for more of an understanding.