PDA

View Full Version : 50NL 6 Max - Top 2 vs 4 to Straight on Board

redCashion
11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Villain had just sat down, but something about this hand hinted that he might be a maniac (which was later proven true). However, I'm in the habit of not going too far with 4 to a straight on the board. How would you play this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

SB ($17.10)
BB ($36.65)
UTG ($32.55)
Hero ($48.25)
Button ($136.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, BB calls $10.

Turn: ($34.25) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, Hero?

Pokey
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Ugly, ugly situation. I doubt he has a 9 or a 4, just because it's an inconsistent hand to call with on the flop -- he'd only have a gutshot. It's possible he has 54 or T9. It's also possible he has 76 or 65. If you're behind, you have four outs, and I hate those odds. If you're ahead, your opponent has at LEAST eight outs (all nines and fours give you a tie at BEST), and probably other ones that you won't know until they bite you in the behind.

Still, you've got position on villain and this bet is very small relative to the pot. I smooth-call and hope for a check on the river so that you can check behind and see a free showdown. If villain pushes the river, I'm folding unimproved. For another very small bet, I'll probably make a crying call just to see what he's got (and to show my hand for image purposes).

ticks
11-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Agree with Pokey here.
Think for a looong time before calling the turn,
so he might worry about losing you on the river if he bets too much.
You would really really like to get to showdown cheap.

Slava_sky
11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
goes all-in

helloimcdog
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
goes all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see a lot of value in this, were only being called by a straight, or in some cases maybe a set, i like the idea of taking a long time before calling so if he thinks youre semi-weak, he will bet small to keep you in.

Hielko
11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
goes all-in

[/ QUOTE ]
i like the idea of taking a long time before calling so if he thinks youre semi-weak, he will bet small to keep you in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, so this is how a fish thinks? Did you consider that if he indeeds understand what you are trying to communicate that he will play better against your hand. You indeed have a weak hand, so now he can bet small when he has the best of it and big bet if he doesn't to bluff you out the pot 'since you apear weak'.

Pokey
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
goes all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

This wins the absolute least money when you're ahead and loses the absolute most money when you're behind. Villain isn't calling a push with any hand that you beat, and villain isn't folding a push with any hand that beats you.

ticks
11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
goes all-in

[/ QUOTE ]
i like the idea of taking a long time before calling so if he thinks youre semi-weak, he will bet small to keep you in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, so this is how a fish thinks? Did you consider that if he indeeds understand what you are trying to communicate that he will play better against your hand. You indeed have a weak hand, so now he can bet small when he has the best of it and big bet if he doesn't to bluff you out the pot 'since you apear weak'.

[/ QUOTE ]

We want to get to showdown against a worse two pair.
Villain may very well think that 76/75 is the best hand.