PDA

View Full Version : 25NL: When to give up on AJ?

Imrahil
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Villain is 26/9/1.9 over about 300 hands. I feel so stupid in this hand and I'm pretty sure I know what I should have done but I need someone to tell it to me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($31.30)
MP ($21.50)
CO ($15)
Button ($57.95)
SB ($24.75)
Hero ($47.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

River: ($13) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9.

Final Pot: $31

LaMbaL
11-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Id never call the river here, and even the turn is questionable.

MadMat
11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Raise the flop. Calling just leaves you facing anothe bet on the turn with no more information. A lot of the time this is a c-bet with air and a flop raise will take the pot there and then.

Mat

Imrahil
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
This hand is against same villain:

Is this horrible?? He kept betting out with TP so I thought I could take it away on the turn. Once the river came I thought that it was a great river card to bluff on.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($21.10)
MP ($21.55)
Button ($53.40)
SB ($43.40)
Hero ($45.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.75</font>, SB calls $2.75.

River: ($10.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $12</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $28.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB doesn't show.
Outcome: SB wins $28.50. </font>

Slava_sky
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Flop - raise $4. Let him pay if he thinks kicker doesn't mean anything.

Turn - the same. Raise pot.

River - raise pot.

ChipStorm
11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this horrible?? He kept betting out with TP so I thought I could take it away on the turn. Once the river came I thought that it was a great river card to bluff on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because a villain checks, doesn't mean he'll fold. Lots of times we check for pot control and elect to call down with a decent hand and maybe pick off a bluff from some overaggressive n00b. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Check the turn through here and take your free card.

Nothing wrong with bluffing the river, but if you make a habit of betting all the time, you're going to get looked up a lot. Pick your spots.

Imrahil
11-06-2006, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because a villain checks, doesn't mean he'll fold. Lots of times we check for pot control and elect to call down with a decent hand and maybe pick off a bluff from some overaggressive n00b. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Check the turn through here and take your free card.

Nothing wrong with bluffing the river, but if you make a habit of betting all the time, you're going to get looked up a lot. Pick your spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I just found out a bit more about him. He will check on the turn with TPWK. So I guess I should have checked the turn knowing this. But on the river how can I give up the opportunity to bluff with such a board? I have position and no way of winning unless I bluff. I guess I can't always do that but I felt it would work.

Yaboosh
11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Raising the flop sucks. Yay for blowing him off a worse hand and having him call/raise with a hand that beats us.

If you are uncomfortable calling down here against this villain on this board, fold preflop.

Imrahil
11-06-2006, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop sucks. Yay for blowing him off a worse hand and having him call/raise with a hand that beats us.

If you are uncomfortable calling down here against this villain on this board, fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that I basically have to pay him off here? Or can I fold on the turn or river?

Yads
11-06-2006, 05:05 PM
How about turn or river? Your call on the drawless flop didn't scare him at all. Do you think he's firing 3 bullets with air or a worse ace?

kerplunkNL
11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
You shouldn't raise this flop for information. If he calls, are we ahead or behind? If he raises, well we know we are beat, but it might be more expensive than just to call down. Isn't this your typical WA/WB situation?

Slava_sky
11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Why for information? For stacking A2.

kosher
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I would have raised him on the flop. If he called and he bets out on the turn, I fold. If he checks on the turn, I bet out with a 3/4 pot bet.

I doubt that he has a stronger ace since he was probably just trying to steal your blind. Villain could have almost anything here (maybe a six!). Normally, I would go very far with AJ but I think I would here since the fact that everyone folded and villain puts in what looks like a steal widens his range, however, I think it is clear that by the river that you are beat.

Phytopath
11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Blind versus blind I probably play it similar to this, if he is the type to 3 barrel you fine, if he'll play weak aces this way also this is fine, though you are chopping with any ace and losing to AQ and AK. Against a guy who I know is solid I would fold this river.

orange
11-06-2006, 06:13 PM
This looks okay. I think your chopping at best most times though.

shpanko
11-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Min raise turn for cheep show down or just call and fold river to more actino. From the other hand you posted I think he'd slow down with A2-A9, he might bet At on the river even though it's identical to the other aces. I let him fire to the river and fold there because you've represented an ace or a slow played 6 and he doesn't seem to care because he still bets even though in other hands he's passive with weak top pair. Def fold river. I might raise flop simply because you won't get any more out of him if he doesn't have an ace or 6 so why let him take the free card to beat you if he's just going to fold anyway?

chesspain
11-06-2006, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the time this is a c-bet with air and a flop raise will take the pot there and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

If opponent has neither an A nor a 6 explain to me why we want him to fold.

Consequently, I like the way Hero played this hand.

kosher
11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I would love to know result of the hand Imrahil ???