PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with a fairly routine hand

Check_The_Nuts
11-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Guy who did this was fairly aggro. Like 6 AF or something. I dunno how to handle this from any opponent. If you call, whats the plan on any turn (half the deck scares me?). If I was BB I'd raise any two here. I don't complete enough to have 83/82. So the best hands I could have are sets and MAYBE 23s. My most likely hands are flush draw/weak top pair/weak overpair/two pair/set in that order.

My main problem is my hand is face up. Is a check/raise here better? If you play this as played, whats plan for turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($9.75)
Button ($7.65)
Hero ($10.90)
BB ($18.15)
UTG ($6.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.10, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.30) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, Button folds, Hero ??

Grunch
11-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Reverse implied odds strike again. You need to be capable of folding here. Notice how your preflop play got you in this predicament.

Check_The_Nuts
11-06-2006, 12:31 AM
grunch, whats your SB raising range when button limps? What if there's several limpers?

expand more plz?

restrikt
11-06-2006, 12:35 AM
call

revaluate on turn

ur hand is so well concealed that folding this flop is criminal.

Grunch
11-06-2006, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
grunch, whats your SB raising range when button limps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 2 cards I decide to play. Against a single mid-late open-limper, I'm either raising or folding. My range here is quite wide.

[ QUOTE ]
What if there's several limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much tighter. The actual range depends on both my opponents' ranges and my image, but a good conservative starting range would be AK/TT+. Add in AQ if the limpers are loose with things like gappers and offsuit connectors, or passive with mid pairs.

Check_The_Nuts
11-06-2006, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call

revaluate on turn

ur hand is so well concealed that folding this flop is criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reverse implied odds make me not like calling very much. An overcard will hit most of the time. Other times the board will pair. There's basically no safe turn for my hand, and it will be very difficult to play out of position. I'm likely to win small pots infrequently here and lose big ones often.

restrikt
11-06-2006, 12:41 AM
You're kidding right?

Check_The_Nuts
11-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Ah, no. I don't like check calling big turn bets much at all here.

And guys with AF of 6 tend to enjoy attacking weakness. I can't play this hand strong without putting a lot in there (check raise turn is what I'd do with a set).

Supwithbates
11-06-2006, 05:16 AM
raise preflop.
you have the odds to call on the flop but he's playing the same whether he hits or not and you're behind right now.
He has like, QhJh or KhJh a lot; sometimes Ahxh and you're flipping with him drawing to 12 outs.
He might have a set or a better overpair as well, which you're definitely way behind.
So in summary: express odds say call, but reverse implied odds say fold. Next time raise preflop, there is some value to defining your hand pre.

tojx
11-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Some poker stove results:
villain: any 8 (including 88), Any Broadway + 3, Any Broadway + 2, A3, A4, 45, 22, 33 --&gt; equity = ~70%
villain: top 20% --&gt; equity = ~66% (on turn if overcard hits: still 50-60%)

You have a very good hand PF and on the flop. Make the most out of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Is a check/raise here better?

[/ QUOTE ]
This depends on your read on villain. If you'd raised PF you'd shown strength and could act aggressively yourself. Doing it in an unraised flop is not a good idea IMHO. If you had sets it would be an eniterly different story. As some intelligent person mentioned on this board before: never check-raise unless you have a very good reason.

[ QUOTE ]
If you play this as played, whats plan for turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how you played the flop. If you had reraised him you could play some aggression on the turn as well. In general I would value bet all the time here