PDA

View Full Version : good laydown ?

tehDiceman
11-05-2006, 10:59 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($6.27)
Hero ($2.41)
CO ($3.08)
Button ($2.13)
SB ($5.04)
BB ($2.98)
UTG ($1.60)
UTG+1 ($4.61)
MP1 ($2.09)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.43) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.2</font>, MP1 calls $0.20, Hero folds, CO folds.

CrustyFace
11-05-2006, 11:03 PM
I would raise preflop with that hand.

matrix
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
given the limit you are playing yes.

I don't think you are ahed here seeing as 4 players saw the flop - it has 2 overcards in it - and people down at micro limit love to play face cards.

RAISE PREFLOP!!!

We very likely have the best hand at the table so raise it up for value. I make it 0.60 to play here. Getting so many players to a flop when you hold a big pair is a complete disaster and limits you to only playing for set value/goofy straight value.

Grunch
11-05-2006, 11:07 PM
As played I raise the flop.

What is your reason for flatcalling preflop? I hope you don't tell me something ridiculous like, "mixing it up."

Acein8ter
11-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, raise to ~.4 to ~.5 or more PF. Try to isolate or go up against 2 others when you have a good PP.

The way it's played, I'd call it. (It's only .2) If you spike a J, your most likely to take down the pot.

tehDiceman
11-05-2006, 11:25 PM
not mixing it up. i had pulled a few good hands right before this and was raising every hand and betting big post flop. people were getting tired of it as shown on one donkey called me to the end with a single pair. most of the hands got folded back to me after the flop and my big bet, was trying to "appease" the masses a little so they didnt scream bloody murder and call me down with nothing should i try to bluff a nice preflop hand when i missed the flop. maybe im tailored to play higher levels with thinking opponents, perhaps im playing too "advanced" for my limit. my bankroll sucks though.

i really did want to raise preflop. i did. i wanted to call that .20 cent bet, i did. the next card was a blank if i remember correctly and another round of very large betting and raising went on between the two villians left. if i had the balls to stick it out for the suckout, the jack fell on the river and i would have taken down the pot to a two pair K and Q. ended up a real nice pot too, someone went all in and it was like 5 bucks or something rediculous.

hockeyf
11-05-2006, 11:32 PM
WTF its ofcourse a fold and repop preflop

ymu
11-05-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't think it's terrible not to reraise this preflop at this buy-in - it was already raised 5x and at this level a reraise to 20x might not get that much respect anyway.

It would depend on how the table had been playing - what a 5x preflop raise meant from this guy, and whether the caller in between was capable of folding to our reraise. I don't like bloating the pot with JJ at a loose table - if a reraise had a good chance of isolating or taking the pot down, I'd raise it up.

Folding this flop is fine. Depending a bit on the PFR and MP1 I might try a raise to $1 and see how much they really liked their hands - but if the PFR doesn't raise without a strong hand or c-bet unless he hits and MP1 calls down with 2nd pair (both very common at this buy-in), this is pointless so folding is fine. You can't call to try and hit the turn.

Grunch
11-05-2006, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was trying to "appease" the masses a little so they didnt scream bloody murder and call me down with nothing should i try to bluff a nice preflop hand when i missed the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very confused thinking. Why would you not want your opponents to call your big bets down when you have a pair of Jacks and they have less than that?

When you raise several hands in a row and then get Jacks, you shouldn't be thinking, "Oh, crap! They think I'm bluffing all the time and now they are going to call me down!" You should be thinking, "Hooray! They think I'm bluffing all the time, but this time I have the best hand! Maybe if I raise someone will make a bad push and I'll get my money in good!"

Bowlboy
11-05-2006, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not mixing it up. i had pulled a few good hands right before this and was raising every hand and betting big post flop. people were getting tired of it as shown on one donkey called me to the end with a single pair. most of the hands got folded back to me after the flop and my big bet, was trying to "appease" the masses a little so they didnt scream bloody murder and call me down with nothing should i try to bluff a nice preflop hand when i missed the flop. maybe im tailored to play higher levels with thinking opponents, perhaps im playing too "advanced" for my limit. my bankroll sucks though.

i really did want to raise preflop. i did. i wanted to call that .20 cent bet, i did. the next card was a blank if i remember correctly and another round of very large betting and raising went on between the two villians left. if i had the balls to stick it out for the suckout, the jack fell on the river and i would have taken down the pot to a two pair K and Q. ended up a real nice pot too, someone went all in and it was like 5 bucks or something rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got the preflop concept totally backwards here when you are running really well. In my experience at these limits(im currently playing .02/.05 6max but I played .01/.02 for 2k hands and crushed them) when you are getting a really nice run of good starting hands, you should continue to raise relentlessly. These players will make huge mistakes PF with smaller pockets than jacks, and also with hands like AT-down. After you've been very aggressive for a run of hands, and get dealt a premium hand such as JJ you need to continue the aggression, because you have a great pocket pair and the table has no respect for you. Reraise for value. A lot of posters will probably disagree with me here, but pushing probably isnt a bad idea PF either. The players at the table are sick of you, dont respect you and will call you down with TT-22 and a bunch of other hands that are dogs to your JJ.

matrix
11-06-2006, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not mixing it up. i had pulled a few good hands right before this and was raising every hand and betting big post flop. people were getting tired of it as shown on one donkey called me to the end with a single pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

See now that is very important information - and means that not raising preflop here is criminal.

Those big hands you were raising preflop prior to this hand were any of them QQ KK or AA cos if not when you have the best hand preflop you have to raise - you have to raise x10 if you've been running over the table and they've been backing down cos this time YOU HAVE THE GOODS!

JJ is a great hand, given the info above now I'm raising this flop and not folding. If my raise buys me position here (if CO folds after I raise) then we're in a great spot and have control of the hand.

If the dude with KQ gets fed up enough to push preflop over your raise you can confidently go all-in with probably the best hand and be the favourite to take down a monstah pot.