PDA

View Full Version : Mason's statements - oh, snap!

iH8poker
11-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Below is a summary of what Mason Malmuth has written in his: Where's our statement thread. I believe his opinion is very clear, read below:

Mason Malmuth 10/04/06 10:13 PM
- Pleasant up-lifting post. Promises updates. Says his lawyer "apologized for the delays" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 04:29 AM
- Defends Frist, asserts "those who call Frist a Nazi...are much closer to being a real Nazi than Frist is."
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 04:36 AM
- Oh snap! "-...issuing a statement on behalf of your attorney after the bill has already been passed,...which you say may not do any good...and which you do not know completely what it will cover. Help me to understand the motivation behind this.- The motivation is simple: We don't hide anything...Best wishes"
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 04:43 AM
- Downplays Republican involvement "...that is the way many bills are passed...the bill was approved by an overwhelming majority...it's very clear to me that there was virtually no one in our legislative...who was going to oppose it...Frist could argue, and correctly so, that there was no need to...waste time debating it when everyone was going to agree with it anyway...Best wishes"
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 04:49 AM
- Oh snap! "-I would be very interested in your plans and opinions- We don't plan to do anything. We don't have the capability ... I wouldn't hold your breath ... Best wishes"
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 04:55 AM
- "-many consider a "crisis" it is natural for people to look to their mentors for guidance. Thus far you and David have not been there- We haven't been there...it's not what we do...We're much better at how to play a poker hand...Don't expect anything else...best wishes"
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 05:03 AM
- Oh snap! "We're well aware that this bill can affect our business...we are on top of our market...that's what we do...Do you think we just print an infinite amount of books...? It doesn't work that way...Best wishes"
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 05:05 AM
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 05:13 AM
- "-it seems like a waste of your money and your lawyers time- It is a waste of money...and it is also a waste of our attorney's time since we can't accomplish anything anyway...Best wishes"

Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 12:10 AM
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 12:13 AM
- Pleasant, eludes that Republicans in office died fighting Hitler (apparently they came back from the dead).
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 12:15 AM
- "-Was your OP here sarcastic humor or not?- There was no humor in what I wrote. We do intend to get a statement up."
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 12:17 AM
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 12:24 AM
- "What exactly is this statement covering? (I know tons of "statements" are needed...- I don't know...We rely on our attorney...The original statement was just suppose to address the Poker Player's Alliance. We have now asked him to include anything else that's appropriate...Part of the problem is that ... His firm has ... not yet analyzed the language in the bill...the procedures are not yet written...Best wishes"

Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 02:41 PM
- Discusses regulating forum
Mason Malmuth 10/05/06 02:49 PM
- Oh snap! "...we have a constitution...I support that, I'm not a thug and neither are the members of Congress...Best wishes"

To recap, he feels that he can't do anything (giving several excuses) and strongly defends Frist and other Republicans. Given this to be true, a statement that reads "We won't do anything. Vote Republican. PPA is worthless." would summarize his thoughts but could create negative feelings toward Mason Malmuth and his business. I believe he is waiting to either make a statement after the elections or will not make one at all, as his intentions are clear.

iH8poker

Phil153
11-05-2006, 02:31 AM
While I strongly believe Mason doesn't give a crap one way or another about the poker players on this board (beyond providing customer service), the question is, why should he?

He's a book publisher. He's not a poker ambassador. He's not Mike Sexton or Phil Hellmuth or a WSOP champ. He publishes books. And you expect him to spend money on a lawyer to give you free legal advice about a topic that's already been discussed ad nauseum??

Mason has provided a high quality FREE forum that has helped keep the industry open and honest. He's supported free speech on these forums, I can knock any two plus two book or author and I won't be censored or banned. I can talk about how a site has ripped me off, and he won't take the thread down or edit my words, even under threat of legal action.

In short, he's done a great service to the poker community and has shown integrity in his handling of these forums. But he's a book publisher. It's not his place to give you free legal advice, lobby for you in Washington, or make you feel better about your outrage at this law.

SNOWBALL
11-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I like Mason a lot. I got to meet him one time, and he let me take a picture with him! /images/graemlins/smile.gif However, I have to say that this isn't the first time that his politics have been extremely off the mark. I guess it's like he said: "It's not what we do." Thanks for the summary.

*TT*
11-05-2006, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Below is a summary of what Mason Malmuth has written in his: Where's our statement thread. I believe his opinion is very clear,

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow up. Seriously. There is already a thread about this, is what you have to say that important that you have to start a new thread so you can be the center of attention? You are only pointing out what we already know - Mason hasn't posted a statement yet. Big deal.

Mason is running a business, he always has and always will do what is best for his business. Part of what is best for his business is his expert status, if I were his lawyer I'd advise him to be quiet because this is an area of practice that has no experts to date.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

SNOWBALL
11-05-2006, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Grow up. Seriously. There is already a thread about this, is what you have to say that important that you have to start a new thread so you can be the center of attention? You are only pointing out what we already know - Mason hasn't posted a statement yet. Big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. TT,
Ih8poker provided a pretty useful service for those that don't want to wade through the HUGE "where's our statement" thread. You are overreacting.

Best,
Jordan

kslghost
11-05-2006, 06:12 AM
I felt that the OP's post was an inaccurate summation of Mason's comments. I haven't read through the thread, but I believe he's simply trying to point out that this isn't entirely about political affiliation, it's more in tune with individuals, and also that "name-calling" is childish.

MagCFO
11-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I've never thought too much of Mason in the first place. I still do not think much of mason. I agree, he couldn't get anything done anyway.

jackaaron
11-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I felt that the "statement" was in the magazine on the front page.

4_2_it
11-05-2006, 01:29 PM
One thread about this is plenty.