PDA

View Full Version : What can I do?

BigUpS
11-04-2006, 06:30 AM
I really don't know where to post this but this seems like a good place. I've already taken out most of money from neteller and now I barely have much left on Pokerstars after some losing sessions. My question is should I transfer from my bank to neteller and then to Pokerstars? Excuse me for my ignorance but I assume it is illegal to do so since the bill has been signed. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

autobet
11-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Neteller is business as usual at least for now. The government is not targeting individuals. They are going after the businesses that transfer money and take our bets.

permafrost
11-04-2006, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume it is illegal to do so since the bill has been signed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was illegal for you before, it still is.

If it was legal for you before, it still is.

If it was illegal for PokerStars before, it still is and they have now broken another law.

If it was legal for PokerStars before, it still is.

BigUpS
11-04-2006, 03:07 PM
So you're saying nothing has changed since the bill has been signed?

BJK
11-04-2006, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he was trying to say is that the law isn't technically in effect yet. You have until the end of July.

However, it is important to remember that the UIGEA does not criminalize casual gamblers. They are criminalizing the banks who process the transactions.

My best advice is: if you have money tied up in a gaming account (or neteller), check your email every day for press releases. Check the gaming sites' homepages every day for press releases. Check neteller's webiste every day for press releases. Check this thread every day for press releases.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...e=0#Post7509074 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=7509074&an=0&page=0# Post7509074)

(sorry about the clumsy URL)

I have a friend I ran into last night who is complaining about losing about $45,000 on Party Poker because they won't let him withdraw it. My opinion is: it's his own fault. Party Poker gave ample notice to US citizens about its closing of US accounts. I got my money out, and I truthfully wonder how hard this friend has tried.

Uglyowl
11-04-2006, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think what he was trying to say is that the law isn't technically in effect yet. You have until the end of July.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he is saying is the law does not define what is illegal or what is legal. The law only prohibits the transfer of funds from a financial institution to a illegal internet gambling site.

The words "illegal" and "gambling" are the key questions at this points. For example, Pokerstars says poker is a game of skill and it neither gambling and/or illegal. Is Neteller (and other e-wallets) a gambling site? These are questions that will be answered in the 270 day period.

permafrost
11-04-2006, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I said a change has happened for PokerStars (and others) if they were illegal by State or Federal law in your jurisdiction. They are now subject to new enforcement law that mentions Federal felony penalties.

You should check to see if online poker is legal where you live, PokerStars even suggests that. Nothing in the new law changed your status of legal or illegal; that was done long ago.

Uglyowl
11-04-2006, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should check to see if online poker is legal where you live

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in most cases this will be debatable and open to interpretation of previous laws (having nothing to do with UIGEA). I still think we are in very murky waters what the laws are (in most cases)

permafrost
11-04-2006, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he was trying to say is that the law isn't technically in effect yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
No I wasn't, sorry but the law is in effect now.

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is important to remember that the UIGEA does not criminalize casual gamblers. They are criminalizing the banks who process the transactions.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, banks are not being "criminalized".

BJK
11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he was trying to say is that the law isn't technically in effect yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
No I wasn't, sorry but the law is in effect now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has 270 days passed already?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, banks are not being "criminalized".

[/ QUOTE ]

slight slip here. The transactions are being criminalized with the onus of responsibility being placed on the banks.

permafrost
11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The transactions are being criminalized with the onus of responsibility being placed on the banks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gambling site is being further "criminalized" NOW by accepting a financial instrument for unlawful gambling. They were already breaking unlawful gambling laws and NOW more. That is in effect NOW. Done deal. Fat lady sang. In the books.

The regulations for banks requiring them to block "restricted" transactions might take up to the 270 days allowed.