PDA

View Full Version : Hypotheticals are fun - you meet Satan

surftheiop
11-03-2006, 11:21 PM
In this hypothetical this actually happens its not a dream/fever etc.

Ok so a being that appears to be the Biblical satan enters your room with a flash of smoke.(specifics dont matter but lets say he has a couple demons along as well so you know he is suppernatual and he does some sort of magic like turn you dog to stone.)

All he says is this one sentence

"If you worship me i will grant you complete happiness and success in life" (Dont get into technicalities of what "worship" means- this is hypothetical).

He says nothing else, whats you play ?
Would you believe his offer to be legitamate?
Would you believe him to be "God" and accept offer?
WOuld you consider that if Satan exists then rest of Bible is likely to be true?

Basicaly im asking is that if you encountered a being you were sure was Satan would this prompt you to believe in and worship God?

chezlaw
11-03-2006, 11:23 PM
if you met a being that claimed to be god but had the morality of satan then would you worship him?

chez

hmkpoker
11-03-2006, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you met a being that claimed to be god but had the morality of satan then would you worship him?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I getting out of it?

chezlaw
11-03-2006, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I getting out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
How could you ever know? I'm sure there would be lots of promises of eternal bliss for worship and eternal torment for rejection.

chez

CityFan
11-04-2006, 09:54 AM
If I believe that this guy really has some supernatural power to affect the outcome of my life, I'm just doing whatever is necessary to keep him sweet.

FortunaMaximus
11-04-2006, 10:05 AM
I'd insult his sister to see what he was capable of and decide after that.

BPA234
11-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Why would you want to worship anyone or anything?

SNOWBALL
11-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I would start worshipping god on the spot. The next day I would check myself into a mental institution. That was easy.

AthenianStranger
11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
This wouldn't happen to the average person because he is already firmly in Satan's grasp. If one were tough enough to warrant this kind of attention, this would be offered. (Cf. the third temptation of Christ). Satan doesn't bother those who already are his servants. However, this hypothetical bow down and worship scenario happens every day to us in microcosmic ways, and sometimes in more apparent ways. Every moment is either to be in service of God or the devil.

vhawk01
11-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Talk about your false dichotomies!

FortunaMaximus
11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This wouldn't happen to the average person because he is already firmly in Satan's grasp.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that a bad thing if she ends up being Liz Hurley?

She's capable of divine brownian motion, I'm sure.

Lestat
11-07-2006, 07:10 PM
<font color="blue">Basicaly im asking is that if you encountered a being you were sure was Satan would this prompt you to believe in and worship God? </font>

Explain how it could not. ??

alphatmw
11-07-2006, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This wouldn't happen to the average person because he is already firmly in Satan's grasp. If one were tough enough to warrant this kind of attention, this would be offered. (Cf. the third temptation of Christ). Satan doesn't bother those who already are his servants. However, this hypothetical bow down and worship scenario happens every day to us in microcosmic ways, and sometimes in more apparent ways. Every moment is either to be in service of God or the devil.

[/ QUOTE ] wow!

madnak
11-07-2006, 07:39 PM
It must be fun living in a world where the majority are minions of the Dark Lord Himself.

vhawk01
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It must be fun living in a world where the majority are minions of the Dark Lord Himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if thats better than my world, where I just assume that everyone around me is an unconscious being that exactly mimics human thoughts and emotions.

FortunaMaximus
11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if thats better than my world, where I just assume that everyone around me is an unconscious being that exactly mimics human thoughts and emotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now, I used to assume the same thing and still do some days. So which of us is the entity here? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

vhawk01
11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now, I used to assume the same thing and still do some days. So which of us is the entity here? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Flip you for it?

FortunaMaximus
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
&lt;laughs&gt; All I got tonight is a newly stirred fury at God. So why the [censored] not?

vhawk01
11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
&lt;laughs&gt; All I got tonight is a newly stirred fury at God. So why the [censored] not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Newly stirred fury at god &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; intricate knowledge of popliteal fossa. Trust me.

FortunaMaximus
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I'll take your word for it.

madnak
11-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Oh boy. In a few years I'll be able to claim both.

I think I'm the budding entity, but I really hope I'm wrong. Being unreal would be... unreal.

vhawk01
11-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Claim both?

Bataglin
11-08-2006, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">Basicaly im asking is that if you encountered a being you were sure was Satan would this prompt you to believe in and worship God? </font>

Explain how it could not. ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Satan is the good guy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

madnak
11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Fury at God and knowledge of popliteal fossa.

vhawk01
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fury at God and knowledge of popliteal fossa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't become a doctor. Definitely don't become an anatomist. Medical school sucks but nothing could suck worse than being in a gross lab for the rest of your life.

madnak
11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I guess medical scientist would just be insane?