PDA

View Full Version : An important thing about science

Borodog
11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances . . . To this purpose the philosophers say that Nature does nothing in vain, and more is in vain when less will serve; for Nature is pleased with simplicity, and affects not the pomp of superfluous causes.

Isaac Newton, Principia, Rule I, Book II. 1687 AD.

DougShrapnel
11-02-2006, 07:39 PM
"this purpose the philosophers say that Nature does nothing in vain, and more is in vain when less will serve" Could someone walk me thru this part? Nevermind I got it.

madnak
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Nature does nothing pointless. It's pointless to use unnecessary complexity. Therefore nature doesn't use unnecessary complexity.

It doesn't "translate well." It's a poetic way to recapitulate the idea that superfluity has no place in the description of natural phenomena.

carlo
11-02-2006, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances . . . To this purpose the philosophers say that Nature does nothing in vain, and more is in vain when less will serve; for Nature is pleased with simplicity, and affects not the pomp of superfluous causes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nature is complex and that is why you continue to do your studies.

surftheiop
11-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Occams razor ??? (or not?)

FortunaMaximus
11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Occam's a difficult razor to hold when you're blindfolded.

DougShrapnel
11-02-2006, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nature does nothing pointless. It's pointless to use unnecessary complexity. Therefore nature doesn't use unnecessary complexity.

It doesn't "translate well." It's a poetic way to recapitulate the idea that superfluity has no place in the description of natural phenomena.

[/ QUOTE ]Are there any particular philospher(s), school(s) of philosophy that describe nature in this way? I ask because I'm curious what it's thought is on dark matter, conciousness, quatum mechanics, redundancy of brain networks.

aeest400
11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
He's talking about Aristotle.

Zeno
11-03-2006, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nature is complex and that is why you continue to do your studies.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the human mind to understand nature, complexity is sometimes evoked, but nature is always expedient. Sometimes, perhaps, the apparent complexity is the result of a lack of insight or understanding by US.

-Zeno