PDA

View Full Version : Table Selection

redCashion
11-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I think table selection is the black art of poker, and has alot more of an effect on our winrate than many give it credit for. What tips do you guys have for good table selection, and maybe more importantly deciding when a table isn't right for you and it's time to find a new one.

I 3 table on PS, and one practice that I employ is to often have a 4th window open where I will sit down and watch the action. If it looks better than any of my three current tables, I'll cycle it in and close one of my windows out.

Things that make me want to leave a table:

- Players I have position on keep reraising my button and CO raises.

- Players taking too long for every turn.

- Too many "regulars" that I see multitabling every day. Sometimes I'll just look for a table with one avatar that I don't recognize.

- Too many shortstacks.

- Having sat for a while but not yet identifying a juicy player.

Things I look for in a table:

#1 most important is having someone call someone else a donk in the chat window. There usually is some truth to these call-outs, and at the very least you might find a player on tilt from the abuse.

- Players I can dominate on my left, action players on my right.

- High percentage of players to flop, as well as high average pots. Low average pots usually mean everyone is shortstacked.

Any thoughts of your own criteria?

wake_up
11-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I hate having shortstacks at my table with a passion.

Generally go with a high% to flop and low avg pot so I can pwn them. lol

thac
11-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I like to play with the regular multitablers because I have a feel to how they play. The randoms have way to awkward of a style. That's probably gonna be a leak when I move up again.

redCashion
11-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I think the awkward style is where you make money. The one nice thing about regulars is that you get a feel for their game, and there are a few very straight-forward regulars that I think are good to have position on becuase you know they only fight back when they have a hand.

checkmate36
11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate having shortstacks at my table with a passion.

Generally go with a high% to flop and low avg pot so I can pwn them. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If the table VPIP is under 30% then Im looking for another table. I like a low PFR% for the table too.

Loose/passive = easy monies IMO. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

evilempire
11-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I avoid tables with more than one regular
I leave tables if their VP$P average drops compared to the rest of my tables.

If the average stack size drops below 60 BB or so I'll consider leaving.

cwar
11-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I love tables with 4 regulars and one really juicy guy makes decisions very easy and you can play really LAG against regulars. Atleast the majority of regulars I run into at 50nl are pretty weak tight.

lippy
11-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I go to the tables with the highest % to the flop.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-02-2006, 12:17 AM
at nl $50 i just find tables with an average pot higher than $8-9. this is for full ring if it matters.