PDA

View Full Version : Play 6-7 hours per day! For a few months!

essence86
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi!

I am always amazed by people that put in a great deal of effort to make sure they end up where they want to.
It can be practicing an instrument, studying to become a doctor, training football, playing poker...

Since we discuss Poker on this forum. IŽll stick to Poker.
First off. Why should Poker be any different from any other discipline? To get to the top, you have to practice, practice, practice! It is during this period that the those who will go through everything to reach their goal, gets sorted out from the rest.
You have to have Desire. A huge burning desire. And lots of dedication.

I have read about quite a few poker professionals now.
And one thing most of them has in common, is that they played like maniacs, especially in the beginning. Many, many hours a day, for months and years.

Of course, you can progress and win at poker without totally devoting yourself to it.
But I assume, it must take much, much longer.

There are people, who started out playing 25NL, and three months later are playing 1-2NL with over $20,000.
THAT, is really, really impressive.

carnivalhobo
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
some of us have classaments to attend, if i could just eat/sleep/drink and play poker i would.

Speedlimits
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some of us have classaments to attend, if i could just eat/sleep/drink and play poker i would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. It's called burnout.

Also I think its better to study more than you play because playing 24/7 doesn't actually mean you are getting better.

Your skill level could easily be the same as it was 6 months ago because all you do is play, not study, observe etc.

essence86
11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes. True.
But I guess one would have to analyze ones play.
There are many people who have never read a poker book.

I have read many books. And I have always learnt something from each book. But NO book, or even the combination of all books, has taught me what I need.
The best way to learn is to do it.

cwar
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Once I had the tools to understand the game I think analyzing my own play / opponents / style helped the most.

ChipStorm
11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best way to learn is to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Evidently you haven't read Theory Of Poker

kitaristi0
11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
25NL -> 200NL in 3 months isn't really that impressive if you're already a good player or cts-like superhuman natural talent god.

matrix
11-01-2006, 06:10 PM
25NL -> 200NL in 3 months with a roll of $20k is running hot.

(or playing a brain meltingly huge number of hands and being naturally very talented)

Shaddux
11-01-2006, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
25NL -> 200NL in 3 months with a roll of $20k is running hot.

(or playing a brain meltingly huge number of hands and being naturally very talented)

[/ QUOTE ]
If the latter is true, this person should have moved up a long time ago :/