PDA

View Full Version : A move against LAG

rockster
11-01-2006, 02:21 PM
This is my first post here, and being fairly new to poker, I'm realizing how important it is to be a student of the game. I hope this hand is not too obviously correct or incorrect for you all, because I really do not know if I made the right play.

CO is uber-loose and aggressive, but after 35 hands I still have not decided how strong a player he is (despite his growing stack). BB has been at table for just a few hands, but also has shown a penchant for playing alot of them.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $21.85
UTG+1: $43.85
MP1: $15.50
MP2: $21.55
CO: $65.70
Button: $29.25
Hero: $25.15
BB: $22.15

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $0.75</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.25, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $24.4</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

I did not expect the call. Am I in trouble? Or should I be happy to have it all in with TPTK in this circumstance?

/r.

tkkjsoup
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Pot has $9.25. After your push there is ~$33.00 and it is ~$19.00 for villains to call. You are hoping to get called incorrectly by flush draws, KQ, and KJ.

I think this is close to 0 EV at this level, because I think you are called by worse hands a lot which helps make up for AA, KT, and sets.

Above 25NL, I think this is -EV because worse hands call too rarely.

homeslice
11-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I think your in trouble here, ur probably against a set.

f1shermanjim
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
My two cents...

First re-raise pre-flop...this gives you a better idea of where you stand and gives them an opportunity to fold.

Second, I think the all-in is 50/50 here, but since you say the co is uber-loose I don't think this is necessarily a bad move. Have you seen him play deep with questionable cards or has he only gone deep with good hands post-flop.

If you haven't seen him go deep with bad cards, then the all-in isn't good. Maybe a call, just to see the next card and then decide.

Tough spot here, but if he is playing loose and just getting lucky, then I think this is a good move. Remember to check the hand histories to see what cards he is playing deep and if he had the right odds or not.

mxer7734
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Re raise pf, take it from there.

rockster
11-01-2006, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First re-raise pre-flop...this gives you a better idea of where you stand and gives them an opportunity to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. Could you explain why I would want them to fold here? Could I not expect to extract a better payoff after the flop (even after considering those times where I miss -- for cheap, by the way)? In the meantime, I look like a SB who is just along for the ride after a smallish raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen him play deep with questionable cards...

[/ QUOTE ]
He chased a draw to river and missed, and made a set on the flop for the win. On other hands he played, either he, or his opponent, folded before SD. As I said before, I had not got a sense as to whether he was strong, or fishy.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a call, just to see the next card and then decide.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought of calling, but the flush draw seemed likely enough that I wanted to raise enough to make his draw too expensive to call, but that required enough of my stack to leave little behind for later streets, so I thought moving in now OOP was best.