PDA

View Full Version : Turn is the worst card in the deck, give up on the hand or fire second

Vammakala
11-01-2006, 11:18 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

SB ($16.60)
BB ($23.25)
UTG ($61.20)
MP ($17.40)
Hero ($72.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.25</font>, SB calls $2, BB calls $1.75, MP folds.

Flop: ($7.50) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB folds, BB calls $5.

Turn: ($17.50) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ???

Hmph, that's probably the worst card in the deck as all draws get there, what's my line here? Fire another barrel? Notice the villain only has ~potsize left in him. He hasn't been in the table for many hands, he bought in short so I have reason to believe his not too bright /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave I
11-01-2006, 11:24 AM
I check behind and fold or call a small river bet depending on my read of villain.

homeslice
11-01-2006, 11:29 AM
check behind here

CaptVimes
11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I would probably check through this, but I'm too much weak tight. This is a situation were I'm thinking pot control and I'm not letting this guy double through me when I'm holding just a pair on a draw heavy board.

I pinch
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Ask yourself this: If you bet the river, what hands is Villian going to call with that you beat? Not many.

Check behind for pot ocntrol reasons. You have TPGK on a draw heavy board, you want the pot to be on the small side. TPTK and TPGK are small pot hands. Call a smallish river bet, otherwise check behind.

Jigsaws
11-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Pot the flop.

Check behind here.

Call a small river bet unless he's the type to pot on a bluff.

Vammakala
11-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm in position and it's turn we're talkin' about here. If he checks river, I probably check behind, but turn was the real question. I doubt I can force him to fold almost anything, but by checking I basically give up the pot and let him make a bluff I can't call. That's not a big tradeoff here i guess - just to let it go is the best line?

CaptVimes
11-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Do you feel like he's stacking off? The problem with betting the turn is what is he gonna call you with? For that matter what did he call your flop bet with or your preflop bet. I know you are not giving him much credit as he sat down short stacked but what other things has he done to make yourself say this guy's an idiot. What else do you see that makes you want to bet this turn soo badly?

Vammakala
11-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Well in this case, I could be protecting my hand against something like KJ with a heart.

But dunno. In the actual hand, I checked. He open pushed river blank and I folded and he showed KQ for split. But I guess that would've been pretty much the best case scenario for me aside from KJ.

KurtSF
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check behind and fold or call a small river bet depending on my read of villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jigsaws
11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But dunno. In the actual hand, I checked. He open pushed river blank and I folded and he showed KQ for split. But I guess that would've been pretty much the best case scenario for me aside from KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. You realize he played it like crap, right? He was seriously lucky he pushed into the one hand that he could fold out that he wasn't already ahead of. He probably didn't even realize he turned his hand into a bluff.