PDA

View Full Version : $25max 6m Basic calling rules

Reid L
10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
If I'm in a position where I'd normally raise 4xbb am I also calling 4xbb? Could a general rule be, everything else being normal call a raise if its the same amount you were planning to raise?

Panthro
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
no. See the GAP theory.

Speedlimits
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Not at all. I'm raising A10s in the cutoff but no way would I cold call it from an UTG or UTG +1 raiser.

Reid L
10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not at all. I'm raising A10s in the cutoff but no way would I cold call it from an UTG or UTG +1 raiser.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok,good point, but could this be a rule with pocket pairs?

Speedlimits
10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ok,good point, but could this be a rule with pocket pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your style. I really hate cold calling but I will do it sometimes.

Example say UTG +1 raises it up to $1 and you are on the button with 22. Everyone folds to you what do you do? I really like raising here because you will take the pot down a lot of the time with a standard c-bet on the flop. Folding is not bad either but the worst option is merely calling.

Do you see why? If you just call here you have 2 more people to act behind you and they could easily raise, you cannot stand a raise. Secondly, even if you do hit your set you probably wont stack the guy unless it is a dream flop. Cold calling with pockets heads up is a leak in many people's games.

BUT

If that same UTG +1 raises to $1 and you have 2 more callers I would advocate just calling to try and hit your set. The more people in the pot the more likely someone hit something. If you hit your 3rd 2 you could win a decent sized pot.

General rule of thumb is I try to not let the cards do the work, I want to do the work.

BukNaked36
10-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Pocket pairs is usually 5/10 rule. From the faq.

"I've heard other posters mentioning the 5/10 rule. What is it?

A: The 5/10 rule is an important no-limit concept that first appeared in Bob Ciaffone's excellent book, "PL & NL Poker." To quote directly from the book:

"When contemplating calling a raise because your position is good, you have a clear call if the raise is less than 5% of your stack, and a clear fold if it is more than 10%. In between those numbers, use your judgement."

It's a good rule for calling a preflop raise with a pocket pair in hopes of hitting a set. The driving force behind the concept is the implied odds in a given situation. If you get your set, but the opponent only has 5BBs after the initial raise, calling to hit the set in the first place is incorrect."

You want villians stack to be roughly 10x the raise to make it worthwhile to call with a pp.