PDA

View Full Version : Length of sessions

redCashion
10-31-2006, 12:58 AM
This came up in a thread a month ago or so, but I'm wondering if people could discuss more about how long they play and how consistant their play is over the course of a session. I had developed a bad habit of letting sessions run into 3 or 4 hours, and finding myself continually more results oriented the longer I played. It was as if the thought of "I don't want to end this long of a session only up a small amount" would creep in and I would start pressing.

So I've actually downloaded a little timer program, and am experimenting with the ideal session length. I had it at 2 hours and I would hit a half hour "Poker Snooze" button if I was at a really good table. But I'm actually starting to think of cutting it down to about 90 minutes as I find my mind starts to wander at about that mark.

How long do you guys go for an optimum session?

jonyy6788
10-31-2006, 01:18 AM
I usually go for hour sessions. I'm in college, so I don't have a lot of time and my classes are that long as well, so that's a perfect amount for my attention span. I always find myself going longer if I'm losing (sign of tilt). My longest sessions are always my worst b/c I'm trying to "catch up" from big losses early in the session.

br.bm
10-31-2006, 01:27 AM
I simply play until I'm tired. When I start to misread the board or tilt too much it's time to stop. Otherwise I keep playing as long as I have fun.
I often play a least 2h. On sundays sometimes 5 or 6.

xwillience
10-31-2006, 01:42 AM
my play has been really sporadic lately because there is a lot of stuff going on. but when i play i like to hit for about 4 hours, take a break and go back for more.

i know a couple people who like to play short sessions either because their minds are good for an hour and then they need a break or because of family life... and there are people who play crazy ass 35 hour sessions.

my personal opinion on play time is that like everything else poker related, it depends. it varies person to person, how well your feeling, how tired you are, etc... So as long as you can play your A game and have time to play, dont worry about how long youve been at it. sometimes i sit down for a long session and my heads not in it so i give up after 15 minutes.

carnivalhobo
10-31-2006, 01:48 AM
i play longer when stuck, like way longer. I generally aim for 1k hands but if im way up and lose focus ill quit early, and if i get stuck right off the bat ill try to play until im only down 1-2 buyins.

SubaruSTiMike
10-31-2006, 02:24 AM
I usually play like 2 hours and get about 1k hands in, but that's only if I'm playing bad, if i play good i don't wanna keep playing and lose it, i shouldnt think like that because we have to thikn of poker sessions as one whole big life session, it's about the long run. So play when you feel you're playing your best game and quit when you feel like you're playing your B game.

carnivalhobo
10-31-2006, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually play like 2 hours and get about 1k hands in, but that's only if I'm playing bad, if i play good i don't wanna keep playing and lose it, i shouldnt think like that because we have to thikn of poker sessions as one whole big life session, it's about the long run. So play when you feel you're playing your best game and quit when you feel like you're playing your B game.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with most of what you said, but theres some merit to forcing yourself to play and just get hands in. Its something i really struggle with, and hopefully next month ill be able to actually get to my goal (40k hands).

munkey
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I shoot for about 2hr sessions,if it's going well and it's juciy I might play on but not usually more than 3hrs.
I think about 90mins too sometimes I start getting a bit tired but then Iknow it's not much longer.

I 'm not a fan of too short sessions as it takes sometime to get set things up and be on my A-type game and get in sysnc with aplyers and the tables.

In 2hrs I can get 500 hands in so 10 of those a week means I'll hit my 20k monthly hand target.

carnivalhobo

I also struggle in getting the hands in and have been particular bad this past few weeks despite moving up and drunning goot. I guess subconciously I din't want to ruin it and just didn't feel like playing that much.

Hustlenuss
10-31-2006, 01:18 PM
i usually keep my sessions pretty short, i.e. between 30 mins and 1 hour. unfortunately, i almost always start my session losing, so it happens very often that i'm stuck right from the beginning. i think that also affects my game in terms of more immediate, "result-oriented" - as someone framed it accurately earlier - gameplay. no good.. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

uminchu
10-31-2006, 02:10 PM
im a marathoner, i just got done playing an all nighter up like five buy ins, but damn it was a rollercoaster, wish i could make a graph woulda been up more but AA<QQ all in preflop for 60, so had to make some back before i could finally quit

dashman
10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I will normally aim for 1k hand sessions(2 hours). If I play for longer then this, then bathroom breaks, food people bothering me start to come into play and then my play really breaks down with the distractions.

Ben K
10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
I've started trying to keep it to an hour or so. I like to play to a deadline of having to do something else at a certain time because it helps me clear my mind and focus on what I'm doing right now - poker. It also helps with not being results orientated as I'm leaving at a certain time irregardless of profit at that point.

All of my 2 buy in + losing sessions this month were in session sover 2 hours long. When I have a long time to play, I seem to relax too much and don't play my best and end up busting out too frequently.

KingOfSwords
10-31-2006, 07:20 PM
I aim to play for two hours from the point I start playing on my third or fourth table, depending on whether I'm three- or four-tabling that night. But this is subject to change depending on how I'm feeling, how good the tables are and whether I've been playing well. Sometimes when I know I'm playing like crap, I just stop playing.

For OP, there's no right session length. My advice is to pick an amount of time before you start and stick to it so you don't chase losses or play badly from fatigue.