PDA

View Full Version : How do I use EV+ combined with Implied Odds?

essence86
10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi!

Say I hold JJ. And get one caller to the flop, and the flop is 2-3-4. And say my opponent has A-10.
He makes an inside straight on a 5, and a pair of Aces with the A.
That gives him 7 outs. So I win like 72% of the time, if we get our money in on the flop.
But suppose he calls my bet on the flop, and we both have deep stacks. If he nails his hand, he has chance to win more from me.
Now, this flop wasnīt the greatest example, because of the obvious A-5 straight that could be made with a 5.

But if you imagine a more concealed hand. Even if the opponent is a big underdog, EV-, canīt the implied odds make the play EV+?

ChipStorm
10-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Welcome. You're on the right track, but...

Being a big underdog early in a hand doesn't make the hand or situation -EV. Expected value has a precise mathematical definition, and to compute it for a given situation requires assuming probabilities for all unknown subsequent events -- including player actions -- and doing the math.

So the right way to think about your villain's flat call is that implied odds MAY make that specific play +EV in the end, dependent on a world of assumptions about how the hand goes thereafter (most important being whether you'll pay him off if he hits).

Keep reading here, and check in on the Theory forum too; you'll get the hang of it.