PDA

View Full Version : Slump suggestions

reddred
01-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I play Holdem and mainly specialize in NL SnG's (10-20 buy ins). I have a solid winrate and normally feel very comfortable at these limits. Occasionally (when I have 4-6 hrs of time), I play in a multi, and again, have a solid ITM rate. But for about the past 6 weeks, I've been slumping, which I know is normal. From what I can see from reviewing hand histories it's a combination of dead cards and some bad timing w/ some of the moves I'm making. Sprinkle in a few bad beats, and occasionally, some bad play, and here I am. All normal type stuff, I know. The thing is this: I have a trip planned to AC in a week and plan on playing live in a multi tournament, but my confidence is down and my timing is off. What can I do in the next week to help me get prepared and back on my game? Should I just try to 'play through it' or should I spend the next week just reading books and posts and sort of save myself for the tourney. I know the importance of having confidence, and being sure of my plays, but often that confidence is reinforced by results. I know I have to fight the urge to be 'results oriented', but how else can I build my confidence up? thanks.

Mr. Curious
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
There have been a number of posts about this subject and in general, the first thing to do is to take some time off. Go do some of the other things that you have been putting off and get your mind off poker. After a week or two away from the game, you'll let the game come to you, instead of focusing on the downswing that you are in.

reddred
01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I think it's a good one. I have to change something up in order to shake this funk I'm in, and I think some time off will help. Otherwise, I feel like I'm just wasting time at the tables when I know I'm not at the top of my game. Thanks.