PDA

View Full Version : dumb question regarding letter from Jim Demint

jschaud
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I received the letter below via email from Jim DeMint.

1. Does the reintroduction of the bill help us in any way?

2.if it is reintroduced and changed, is it possible to add a poker carve out at that point? or..

3. If a bill is reintroduced and altered, will they have to add the gambling bill onto the end again?

Dear Friend,

Recently, congress passed and the President signed a port security bill that was an important step forward in protecting these vital pieces of infrastructure.

There were many good provisions in the bill such as the Warning, Alerts and Response Network (WARN) Act, legislation I sponsored that provides Americans with emergency information sent directly to their cell phones and other wireless devices.

But, the bill left one gaping hole in our port security system. I offered an amendment that would have prevented serious felons from working at our ports - a measure we already take at airports and other sensitive sites. Unfortunately, 11th hour pressure from labor unions gutted the provision allowing some of the most dangerous criminals to remain at the gateways to our nation.

Commonsense tells us that we can spend all the money in the world screening cargo, but if we don’t screen the people working at our ports, we can’t expect to prevent a terrorist attack!

That is why I plan to introduce a bill this year to address this pressing issue. Our ports are a top target for terrorists, and we can’t act too soon.

As you can imagine, the press has weighed in expressing the outrage that so many of us feel. I hope you’ll take a moment to read these articles and editorials and share them with others who are concerned about security at our ports.

Sincerely,

Jim Demint

Poofler
10-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Reintroduce? He didn't say that. He said he wanted to introduce a new bill. Congress doesn't reintroduce bills, they pass new amendments/bills. This guy would just amend the port legislation, he wouldn't address poker. Congress would need to inroduce new legislation to create a carve out or amend the gambling act.