PDA

View Full Version : Junk response from my Congessman.

Poker Zealot
10-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Seems like he did not even finish. He just kind ends the thing... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Congressman John Campbell
<ca48ima@mail.house.gov> to me
October 27, 2006
Mr. Christopher T. Sugano

Dear Mr. Sugano :

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on federal legislation related to i nternet gambling. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

As you know, the House recently considered a bill known as H.R. 4411, the Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act . I voted in favor of this bill , which the House passed by a bipartisan vote of 317 to 93 on July 11, 2006. Subsequently, the Senate passed the measure on September 30, 2006 and the President signed it into law on October 13, 2006.

H.R. 4411 will limit illegal internet gambling by cutting off the revenue flow to offshore internet gambling operations. Specifically, it will require financial institutions to adopt policies and practices that enable them to identify and prevent financial transactions related to internet gambling. It will also update and clarify basic federal criminal prohibitions of gambling found in the Interstate Wire Communications Act ("Wire Act") to include wagers placed over the Internet.

Gambling is illegal virtually everywhere, expect where allowed by certain states, localities, or Indian tribes. Congress, as a general rule, has found that states should have the primary responsibility for determining what forms of gambling may legally take place within their borders. States like Nevada should have the right to allow gambling on their soil if they desire. The internet, however, has become an instrument for individuals and companies to circumvent the law and blur state boundaries. The anonymity of the internet makes it nearly impossible to enforce the law, such as validating the age of users and determining whether the indivi dual is playing from a state that legally allows gambling. In addition, since the majority of online gambling companies are located abroad, a large portion of the funds are susceptible to money laundering, corruption, and other crimes. Further, users of internet gambling are in no way ensured that they are taking part in an honestly run operation. In Nevada , the Gaming Commission ensures winnings are paid out and the machines are not rigged, while online gambling sites have nothing of the sort. Therefore, by curbing access to international gambling sites and amending the Wire Act to include the Internet, the bills seek to harmonize internet gambling laws with those currently in place.

autobet
10-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Actually a detailed specific response, just not one we want to hear.

At least the members of the House had to stand up and vote on the public record. Win or lose, wish we could say the same about the Senate.

flafishy
10-28-2006, 11:37 AM
So if the congressman is of the opinion that gambling is a state issue, then he and his fellow congressmen are sticking their noses in where they don't belong. He's just another of those hypocritical asswipes who talks out of both sides of his mouth.

Sand
10-28-2006, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually a detailed specific response, just not one we want to hear.

At least the members of the House had to stand up and vote on the public record. Win or lose, wish we could say the same about the Senate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also found it to be a pretty well written response. I don't agree on several points, but at least this guy has better support than other Congressman. Reading most of the others it seems like they all hired the laid off Party Poker reps.

rjp
10-28-2006, 04:52 PM
I got a lame response from my congressman. It was a short paragraph basically saying he wants to protect families and children from overseas operations. Glad I get the chance to vote against him next week.

permafrost
10-29-2006, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It will also update and clarify basic federal criminal prohibitions of gambling found in the Interstate Wire Communications Act ("Wire Act") to include wagers placed over the Internet.

[/ QUOTE ] Here he is clueless.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling is illegal virtually everywhere, expect where allowed by certain states, localities, or Indian tribes. Congress, as a general rule, has found that states should have the primary responsibility for determining what forms of gambling may legally take place within their borders. States like Nevada should have the right to allow gambling on their soil if they desire.

[/ QUOTE ] Here he is correctly telling you to get online poker legalized for players in your State and the Federal law won't apply.

catalyst
10-29-2006, 06:23 PM
atleast you got a response from yours