PDA

View Full Version : 44 set mine turned bluff

cbloom
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Villain is pretty tight, we're both set mining. I was trying to bust him with a set, when the flop came, I tried a move... +EV or spewing?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 10 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

MP1 ($72.50)
MP2 ($119.30)
MP3 ($287.47)
CO ($50)
Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($89.15)
SB ($12.20)
BB ($160.40)
UTG ($145.90)
Hero ($120.75)
UTG+2 ($24.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $1. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $1, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $8, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds.

(I gladly call his raise - he's announced he has high pockets, if I hit my set I'll probably stack him)

Flop: ($23.50) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, Villain calls $18.

(When the ace hit, I thought there was a decent chance he has KK or QQ and could lay it down. I thought I'd take a stab at representing the ace).

Turn: ($59.50) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $74.50

When he called me on the flop I gave up on the hand. If I'm going to bluff this, is it worth doing it harder?

Freerollin`
01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
toss this preflop before the raise, dude. it's chip spewing there in early position. afterward, you're doing even more. you're talking about a raise after a bunch of preflop limpers (including you), and you still call with that?

You know he's tight. Postflop, you're playing into what you described as an uber-tight player after a huge showing of strength PF? Trust your reads and pick your spots better next time.

If it had been 3 rainbow low cards, that would have been a better spot. Not here.

Nepthu
01-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Some people just can't seem to lay down KK or QQ when an Ace flops. They will lay down middle pair but second pair they really like too much. However I think he can have AK here. It is unlikely that anyone has a hand that AK really fears preflop namely AA KK here and limp in except maybe the first limper (hero). I would consider a raise with AK in this spot and try and pick up the pot if I were villian (but I'm used to playing 6 max not full tables). Also AK (16 ways) is dealt about as often as AA,KK,QQ (18) combined.

I don't think its worth bluffing harder. You could bluff the pot. If you wanted a stronger bluff I would go for the check raise bluff. That will make him fold KK,QQ for sure I think. But I wouldn't do it here. If he has an ace he has a very good kicker and that board is rather harmless besides the flush draw. And I wouldn't be convinced he doesn't have the ace.

I play .25/.5 though so don't listen too closely to me /images/graemlins/smile.gif (although I play heads up, 3-way on small sites where the competition is tougher than party)

cbloom
01-02-2006, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
toss this preflop before the raise, dude. it's chip spewing there in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I'll limp any PP in these games for set potential. Raises are rare enough, and when they do raise it's usually small and easy to call to bust them.

[ QUOTE ]
afterward, you're doing even more. you're talking about a raise after a bunch of preflop limpers (including you), and you still call with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love calling his raise, particularly because I do know he has a big hand. I hit my set 1 in 7 and win much more than that when I hit (probably his stack), because he can't get away from AA or KK.

[ QUOTE ]

If it had been 3 rainbow low cards, that would have been a better spot. Not here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's incorrect. He probably has QQ-AA , maybe AK but less likely. Low cards that don't give me a set, he's sure to like his overpair. My best hope of winning with a bluff is the ace.