PDA

View Full Version : Britain Criticizes Online Gaming Ban As It Prepares for Int'l Summit

BigBiceps
10-27-2006, 12:36 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061027/britain_online_gambling.html?.v=3

Pokeraddict
10-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Might want to retitle the OP as I was about to post this link because I did not see it.

It is about time they spoke up.

Zele
10-27-2006, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Britain's culture secretary on Friday compared the U.S. crackdown on online gambling to the failed alcohol ban of the Prohibition as she prepared to host an international summit on Internet gambling next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice find. This could be good.

MagCFO
10-27-2006, 01:57 PM
The US won't even attend the 30 country meeting on how the UK plans to regulate online gaming.

Nice. Bunch of f'ing a-holes.

ThePenguin
10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Might want to retitle the OP

[/ QUOTE ]

RGL
10-27-2006, 03:05 PM
A thought: This could be a great forum for our big name players to attend like Brunson, Helmut, etc. They would be in a safe, supportive environment aligned with the rest of the world against the ban. The globilization of the issue could position the U.S. government as something of a rogue nation subjugating a large section of its population in disregard for international standards. Could a name emerge as a globally supported crusader for the rights of the American poker player?

TomVeil
10-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Very good article. Glad to see them finally speak up.

RNiner
10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
The article doesn't say which countries will be attending. I'd be curious to know if Canada is sending any delegates. Thanks.

WhatDoesCallMean
10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very good article. Glad to see them finally speak up.

[/ QUOTE ]

although im not all that surprised by the article, im an incey-wincey little bit surprised that one of Tony Blairs cabinet has spoken out against Tony's boyfriend /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

good article tho in all honesty.

jrbick
10-27-2006, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Broadly speaking we have three choices: you can prohibit, like the U.S., do nothing or regulate, like we have," Jowell said. "I firmly believe we have chosen the path that will do the most to protect children and vulnerable people and keep out crime."

[/ QUOTE ]

She's (<-- edit) right and this might've been the path we chose IF indeed we had those same goals (protection, mainly). The GOP obviously did not have those same goals in mind.

Keyser.
10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't know anything about England's government. Is the culture secretary an important position? This is pretty good news but it doesn't seem that significant that just one woman is complaining about the law.

Todpullen
10-27-2006, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about England's government. Is the culture secretary an important position? This is pretty good news but it doesn't seem that significant that just one woman is complaining about the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Culture Secretary is the cabinet post within whose remit lies gambling - i.e. she is the 'minister in charge of gambling issues'. Thus statements by the culture secretary with respect to the issue of (online) gambling can be taken as the 'government position' of the UK.

IndyFish
10-27-2006, 07:26 PM
"U.S. officials have declined to participate in Tuesday's gambling summit in London, where lawmakers from 30 countries will discuss ways to regulate the industry, including the protection of minors and keeping the industry free of crime."

U.S. officials stick their collective heads in the sand and ignore the summit, since protection of minors was never their intent.

oreopimp
10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"U.S. officials have declined to participate in Tuesday's gambling summit in London, where lawmakers from 30 countries will discuss ways to regulate the industry, including the protection of minors and keeping the industry free of crime."

U.S. officials stick their collective heads in the sand and ignore the summit, since protection of minors was never their intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

that and the billions of dollars that could be made by regulating it are def not worth it.

I dont even think God would be that retarded. Oh well,[censored] people that belive in storybook fantasies that intrude on the [censored] in my life.