PDA

View Full Version : I hope Frist runs for president... (OT)

ZeeJustin
10-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I hope Frist runs for president because there's absolutely no way he would win (go Democrats!)

[ QUOTE ]
Main article: Bill Frist medical school experiments controversy
While in medical school, Frist obtained cats from animal shelters, under pretense of adoption as pets, for school research experiments in which he killed the animals. In a 1989 autobiography, Frist described how he "spent days and nights on end in the lab, taking the hearts out of cats, dissecting each heart." After some time, Frist said "I lost my supply of cats," so he chose to deceive animal shelters, an act which he described as "heinous and dishonest." He attributed his behavior to the pressures of school. The incident sparked controversy after a 2002 Boston Globe story repeated the account.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot more gems at Wikipedia (Frist) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frist) including his guilty plea to insider trading.

Uglyowl
10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I hope he does not get out of the starting blocks and that his political career is done and the only thing we ever hear about him is he is in jail for some wrongdoing.

By the way most of this information has been discussed in length. At the present time, he only has a very outside chance of getting the party's nomination.

Insp. Clue!So?
10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
No way Frist could win? That's where you're dead wrong. By pushing the anti-gambling bill and similar stuff he hopes to grab hold of that huge chunk of the today's GOP that is the Christian hard right. Win their hearts and he's 1/3-1/2 of the way home, and then he'll just need to cobble together a couple/three single-issue factions. That's basically what Dubya did.

You might've said the same thing about Dubya's past for that matter. Who in their right mind who vote for an endlessly-failing businessman who counted on foreign money interests to bail him out, a constantly-besotted party clown who was rumored to have paid his way out of a parenthood in-between cocain breaks, a draft-dodging mental lightweight who depended on daddy's contacts to save him from his early college years on down.

No chance, that guy.

Soulman
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way Frist could win? That's where you're dead wrong. By pushing the anti-gambling bill and similar stuff he hopes to grab hold of that huge chunk of the today's GOP that is the Christian hard right. Win their hearts and he's 1/3-1/2 of the way home, and then he'll just need to cobble together a couple/three single-issue factions

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm not heavily into American politics, but wouldn't it take a minor miracle for the Christian right to vote anything but Republican anyway?

The Bride
10-26-2006, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot more gems at Wikipedia (Frist) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frist) including his guilty plea to insider trading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that truly is a 'gem'...how ironic.

Berge20
10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
What guilty plea?

Gonzo Joker
10-26-2006, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm not heavily into American politics, but wouldn't it take a minor miracle for the Christian right to vote anything but Republican anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

The xtian nutcase faction in the US will sometimes sit out elections, or will occasionally vote for nutcases like Pat Buchanon on the American Nazi Party ticket when they deem that the Republican candidate does not pound on his bible with sufficient zeal and fervor.

ajmargarine
10-26-2006, 07:05 PM
ZJ:

This thing you characterize as a "gem" from Frist's past, something that probably occurred 40 years ago when he was a dumb kid, probably around your age now, something that later in his life he found "heinous and dishonest"...do you really think its your place to come here and take jabs at politicians posting these little gems from their past?

--aj

ZeeJustin
10-26-2006, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you really think its your place to come here and take jabs at politicians posting these little gems from their past?

[/ QUOTE ]

As an american citizen, yes I do.

Also, it's not just stuff in his distant past. The insider trading stuff was recent.

tangled
10-26-2006, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No way Frist could win? That's where you're dead wrong. By pushing the anti-gambling bill and similar stuff he hopes to grab hold of that huge chunk of the today's GOP that is the Christian hard right. Win their hearts and he's 1/3-1/2 of the way home, and then he'll just need to cobble together a couple/three single-issue factions

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but he is talking about the republican nomination. To get to the general election a candidate must first win their party's nomination. As for republicans and democrats, the far right and far left wings of their parties, respectively, control the nomination process. In order, to get the republican nomination you have to be acceptable to the social conservative right. You dont have to be their first choice, but you have to be at least tolerable to these people. And the more they like you, the better. There is a basic mistake some people make when talking about presidential politics. They will mention how one candidate or another would make a great presidential candidate in the genral election, but overlook that that candidate might not be able to get their party's nomination in the first place (sometimes for the very reasons that make them a good general-election candidate).

McCain, for example, would have been a much more attractive candidate in the general election of 2000 than Bush was, even Bush acknowledged this. But McCain ticked off the social conservatives with attacks on them during the S. Carolina primary campaign, and that was it for him.

Frist is a moderate Republican believe or not, so he has to do something to endear himself to the social conservatives. That is why he bent over backwards to get Prohibtion II through. He was sucking up to the social conservatives because has to prove himself to them somehow. Somebody like Gingrich wouldnt have to to do this, because his social-right credentials are already established.

Could Frist win. Absolutely!!! If he can get the Republican nomiation than he will make an attractive general election candidate for the very reasons he is not the best candidate to get the Republican nomination. Also, this same dynamic works in reverse on the Democratic side. The Democrats are inclined to put up a liberal leaning candidate because thats what the liberal Dems want. For example, some people think Hillary could get the Democratic nomination. If that happens, and Frist finds a way to get the Republican nomination...... Oh Crap!!!!

ZviJustin
10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Post deleted by Ryan Beal

HSB
10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
It's going to be very important for those of us who want him to rot in hell to participate early on in the process. The early primaries and caucuses have a retardedly overly large impact on the whole process. Pay attention to what is happening in Iowa and New Hampshire a year from now and write letters to the editor and all that kind of thing. If you're a republican and you live in one of those states get your body and your wallet out early and support one of the small government guys who are going to keep their damn hands off our game.

Little_Luck
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah, but Frist said he was sorry for his insider trading. He promised not to do it again, but said that most of the senators were doing it and it wasn't considered that big of a deal. He also stated he would donate 10 percent of his presidential campaigns to charity, if elected.

adios
10-26-2006, 09:50 PM
When's the last time an inside the beltway type was elected president? I guess you argue that Bush41 was but that could be argued both ways. Other than Bush41, LBJ was the last one to be elected. The odds of Frist winning the nomination are low let alone being president.

Kevmath
10-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Register in multiple states to vote against him. If needed, open up some Congressional primaries to reduce the advantage.

pokerstudAA
10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Register in multiple states to vote against him. If needed, open up some Congressional primaries to reduce the advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say the ZJ jokes are getting old.....not a chance. VNH Sir.

The Bryce
10-26-2006, 10:56 PM
The modern political system is very much like the music industry or the fasion industry. The quality of the product matters very little, what's important it's how well you can sell it. Of course, most of the responsibility for things behind this way doesn't lie so much with the system as much as it does with the general public.

Megenoita
10-27-2006, 01:18 AM
OP is something else.

suzzer99
10-27-2006, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No way Frist could win? That's where you're dead wrong. By pushing the anti-gambling bill and similar stuff he hopes to grab hold of that huge chunk of the today's GOP that is the Christian hard right. Win their hearts and he's 1/3-1/2 of the way home, and then he'll just need to cobble together a couple/three single-issue factions. That's basically what Dubya did.

You might've said the same thing about Dubya's past for that matter. Who in their right mind who vote for an endlessly-failing businessman who counted on foreign money interests to bail him out, a constantly-besotted party clown who was rumored to have paid his way out of a parenthood in-between cocain breaks, a draft-dodging mental lightweight who depended on daddy's contacts to save him from his early college years on down.

No chance, that guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frist won't win because he's not handsome enough. Right now the political balance in our nation is such that the president (and fate of the free world) is determined by a handful of undecided soccer moms in Ohio and FL. And they ALWAYS vote for the dude with the most sex appeal. Obama '08 BABAY!

Soulman
10-27-2006, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but he is talking about the republican nomination. To get to the general election a candidate must first win their party's nomination. As for republicans and democrats, the far right and far left wings of their parties, respectively, control the nomination process. In order, to get the republican nomination you have to be acceptable to the social conservative right. You dont have to be their first choice, but you have to be at least tolerable to these people. And the more they like you, the better. There is a basic mistake some people make when talking about presidential politics. They will mention how one candidate or another would make a great presidential candidate in the genral election, but overlook that that candidate might not be able to get their party's nomination in the first place (sometimes for the very reasons that make them a good general-election candidate).

McCain, for example, would have been a much more attractive candidate in the general election of 2000 than Bush was, even Bush acknowledged this. But McCain ticked off the social conservatives with attacks on them during the S. Carolina primary campaign, and that was it for him.

Frist is a moderate Republican believe or not, so he has to do something to endear himself to the social conservatives. That is why he bent over backwards to get Prohibtion II through. He was sucking up to the social conservatives because has to prove himself to them somehow. Somebody like Gingrich wouldnt have to to do this, because his social-right credentials are already established.

Could Frist win. Absolutely!!! If he can get the Republican nomiation than he will make an attractive general election candidate for the very reasons he is not the best candidate to get the Republican nomination. Also, this same dynamic works in reverse on the Democratic side. The Democrats are inclined to put up a liberal leaning candidate because thats what the liberal Dems want. For example, some people think Hillary could get the Democratic nomination. If that happens, and Frist finds a way to get the Republican nomination...... Oh Crap!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, nice post.

mosch
10-27-2006, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
McCain ticked off the social conservatives with attacks on them during the S. Carolina primary campaign, and that was it for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bigger factor was that Bush/Rove went on about McCain having a black baby with a prostitute (he has an adopted Bangledeshichild), said that McCain's wife was a drug addict and that McCain cheated on her, and that McCain supported gay rights.

McCain didn't attack social conservatives. McCain got attacked because Bush/Rove pandered to racists, [censored]-bashers and idiots.

On top of all that, he was accused of treason (during the time he was a POW).

As for Frist, sure, he could be a candidate. That was obvious from the moment he started claiming that Terri Schiavo should be out playing raquetball. Sadly, in modern America you don't need that many people to win an election. If you can con the christians into thinking you care about god, the wannabe wealthy into thinking you care about their tax bills and the south into thinking you care about their guns, you're in.

Poofler
10-27-2006, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, in modern America you don't need that many people to win an election. If you can con the christians into thinking you care about god, the wannabe wealthy into thinking you care about their tax bills and the south into thinking you care about their guns, you're in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget scaring people in -EV cities about possible terrorist attacks. Osama has his eyes on Louisville next.

dikshit
10-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Can't the Christian right see he's not one of them; as a top medic it's so cynical the way the panders to them.

Also, aren't this group rather coy about voting for someone who the phrase 'moral turpitude' fits ideally.

If an ordinary citizen is linked to insider trading that would be him stuffed. The fact that with his baggage he is even being considered as a potential candidate should be used as a campaign against the party in general that takes the moral high ground 'Do as I say, not as I do' stance.

coachkf
10-27-2006, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By pushing the anti-gambling bill and similar stuff he hopes to grab hold of that huge chunk of the today's GOP that is the Christian hard right.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised how much of the "christian right" that he ticked off with this bill. Only the leadership of the Christian right are salivating over punishing online gaming. The common folks in the pew could either care less or partake in some form of gambling and are sympathetic to online gamblers.

I'm speaking in general here, and to my own experiences, being a member of a Baptist church in the South, and knowing a lot of other members (not just in my own church) who enjoy poker online and off.

Brice
10-27-2006, 10:52 AM
If the dems are stupid enough to counter with Obama or Hillary, then Frist will cruise to the Oval Office.

MJL
10-27-2006, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope Frist runs for president because there's absolutely no way he would win (go Democrats!)

[ QUOTE ]
Main article: Bill Frist medical school experiments controversy
While in medical school, Frist obtained cats from animal shelters, under pretense of adoption as pets, for school research experiments in which he killed the animals. In a 1989 autobiography, Frist described how he "spent days and nights on end in the lab, taking the hearts out of cats, dissecting each heart." After some time, Frist said "I lost my supply of cats," so he chose to deceive animal shelters, an act which he described as "heinous and dishonest." He attributed his behavior to the pressures of school. The incident sparked controversy after a 2002 Boston Globe story repeated the account.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went thru all the post and thought I made a mistake and wound up in the Political Forum.