PDA

View Full Version : a standard situation -- but what to do?

arden street
10-26-2006, 07:36 AM
in reviewing this hand i don't like the way i actually ended up playing it but not sure what would be best, though i have an idea, i thought i would see what ppl reckon.

cheers

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($4, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $3.8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ??

clearcut
10-26-2006, 08:08 AM
stack sizes? I'm probably raising this flop depending on his stack

arden street
10-26-2006, 08:34 AM
sorry yes, villian had $23 and i had him covered

kabouter
10-26-2006, 08:38 AM
without any reads, I would raise or call depending on what mood I'm in /images/graemlins/wink.gif
The villain needs to have a big stack though.
Villain could have made trips though maybe 3 tens? He called your raise so I wouldn't put him on AA/KK

CaseS87
10-26-2006, 08:38 AM
I like raising. Big raise, about the size of the pot.

Sir Winalot
10-26-2006, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like raising. Big raise, about the size of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this line too. If he calls you can most of the time decide to check behind or bet again on turn if you miss and bet again if you hit.

I would probably fold if he pushes over you though.

AJGibson
10-26-2006, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably fold if he pushes over you though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A pot sized raise would be to ~$15, after this villain only has $7 left to go over the top when he pushes. You'd be offered 6:1 to draw out on him, turning down those odds would be a clear mistake IMO.

ftball0000
10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm all in here, flush draw, 2 overs, and a backdoor straight draw

arden street
10-26-2006, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm all in here, flush draw, 2 overs, and a backdoor straight draw

[/ QUOTE ]

this is how i played it, but he had a set and i was drawing slimmer than i thought (EQ = only 26%!?)

i guess there's a pretty good chance he would call a push with overpairs (though he's still ahead but not as much) but little chance he would call with less than that.

so i'm thinking in retrospect a raise would have been better to see how much he liked his hand? and then i spose a fold to a reraise would be the go. though hopefully he would call and check the turn.

subzero
10-26-2006, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so i'm thinking in retrospect a raise would have been better to see how much he liked his hand? and then i spose a fold to a reraise would be the go. though hopefully he would call and check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
As pointed out earlier, you are not folding if villain re-raises. Villain would only have about $7 behind. Against a set, you're about a 3:1 dog to the river. You'd have pot odds to call at that point.

You have position, so another line would be to call and re-evaluate on the turn. But I'm leaning towards raising all-in on the flop.

4_2_it
10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Nothing wrong with the AI here. You have enough equity against his range to do this. Unfortunately for you, the hand he held was at the highest end of his range.

AJGibson
10-26-2006, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is how i played it, but he had a set and i was drawing slimmer than i thought (EQ = only 26%!?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Try not to be results orentated, a set was only part of his range here.

I prefer a call on the flop really, the flop is fairly dry, given that you probably have the best draw. I don't see very many worse hands calling your push, and I'd like to play poker on the following streets. As kabouter said, it depends what mood your in. There's certainly nothing wrong with pushing.