PDA

View Full Version : How to play TPTK?

Spartak
10-26-2006, 12:27 AM
new to NL I struggle with how much action to give with TPTK, is this a bad fold?

Here is a hand I just played at NL 50
BB seems quite good player over a small sample although this is first time I have been involved in a hand with him.

I have $74 and BB has me covered

Folded around to me in SB I have A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif
I raise to $2, BB calls

flop is

4/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Pot is $4

I bet $3, BB raises to $9, I call.

Turn is T/images/graemlins/club.gif
Pot is $22

I check, BB bets $15, I fold.

mother_brain
10-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Yikes.

Spartak
10-26-2006, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the fold?

mother_brain
10-26-2006, 12:53 AM
i dont know the whole hand seems to have gone down the pooper starting with the PF raise. But probably pretty normal way to play it.

carnivalhobo
10-26-2006, 12:55 AM
as long as there isnt a lot of history with you and him in blind battles folding the flop is ok, but you played it fine.

DeuceSeven
10-26-2006, 01:11 AM
The only thing I don't like is calling the raise on the flop. I think if I'm calling the flop, I'm betting the turn. I would have folded the flop given no blind battle reads.

Edit: Also that T is a very scary card as it completes a str8 and makes a higher pair then your 9s.

Spartak
10-26-2006, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I don't like is calling the raise on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it standard to be so passive with TPTK?
Couldnt he have a worse 9 here, something like J9s, Q9s or T9s especially in a blind battle.

Oranzith
10-26-2006, 01:15 AM
no, i do not think so. THis is a PSR. he aint messing around. you're beat

DeuceSeven
10-26-2006, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I don't like is calling the raise on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it standard to be so passive with TPTK?
Couldnt he have a worse 9 here, something like J9s, Q9s or T9s especially in a blind battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said this guy seems pretty good. You didn't tell us if he defends his blinds or if he get aggressive post flop. He might think you have 2 high cards and missed the flop and made a continuation bet. If I notice a guy raise a preflop raiser with these type of boards then I put in a reraise on this flop even if I have AQ.

Given no reads, I'd pick a better spot.

SubaruSTiMike
10-26-2006, 01:53 AM
you have bad position, and A9o isn't that greatof a hand to play. OOP

SubaruSTiMike
10-26-2006, 01:54 AM
oops didn't see it was folded to ya, yeah raise it up if you wanna get fancy and steal blinds, do the cbet thing and i think i'd fold to the reraise...if i call though which i soemtimes do i'd check fold like you did.

Montezuma21
10-26-2006, 02:12 AM
this is a very tought spot and extremely read dependent. i think i would probably have played it the same way you did. which is not to say it's ideal. his range could include another 9, two pair or better, or air. (maybe less likely)
If I feel that i'm up against a good player, i might fold the flop jsut to avoid the hassle and potential expense of playing this hand OOP. If the player is slightly laggy and more agro, i'm probably raising to 25 and calling a push. If he's very passive i would call hoping for him to check down with a worse 9

Sir Winalot
10-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Grunch:

I'd pot the flop and fold to the rr usually. But with your villain being good and this being a blind battle I think both calling and folding is good here.

He's not firing again with air on turn and you have 2nd pair here. Folding the turn is goot.