PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone assume God is logical?

UATrewqaz
10-25-2006, 11:38 PM
One assumption I see very frequently is that God, if he exists, must have some sort of logical basis or reason for everything he did or does.

Many Christians believe man was created in God's image and human beings can be VERY irrational and emotional.

Could many of the logical "problems" we see with various religions stem from the fact that perhaps God is not logical? Maybe not all his actions are driven by cold, logical calculation.

FortunaMaximus
10-25-2006, 11:41 PM
His information bases are. His actions are logical, but they introduce enough fallacious elements to keep it interesting. Because the experiment is not for his own benefit.

Prodigy54321
10-25-2006, 11:53 PM
there are too many possibilities for us to navigate...our only supposed windows into god are things like the bible, qur'an etc and other supposed evidences in the natural world..most of these supposed evidence point toward (what seems to be considered) a logical god..so this is what we consider and discuss..there is no other basis to go off of.

dknightx
10-25-2006, 11:57 PM
what, in the bible, has lead to believe that God is a "logical" (human logic) god?

MidGe
10-26-2006, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what, in the bible, has lead to believe that God is a "logical" (human logic) god?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and where in the bible does it say he is intelligent? I think their is sufficient evidence for his lack of intelligence.

FortunaMaximus
10-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Well, the book was written by intelligent men with an agenda in the early centuries. And the upgrades have worsened the product. Telephone game.

And... It's just a book.

Prodigy54321
10-26-2006, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my main point doesn't depend on whether or not the bible says god is logical..

my point was that we cannot really consider and discuss random possibilities..we must go off of some kind of evidence..no matter how flimsy..and these supposed evidences are the only ones on which to base our definitions of god..there is no other basis to go off of.

I never said that the bible says that god is logical..(but that's what I believed was the general concensus among christians..although I'm not sure if we're thinking about he same degree of logic)

I would say that most christians consider god to be logical..instead of just making random decisions...

I suppose I am wrong about this as well???

you're going to have to explain your view of christianity, because it is confusing me.

txag007
10-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Great question! Let me ask it a different way:

Do you really want a god that you can completely understand?

Prodigy54321
10-26-2006, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

(I'm going to guess that you don't think this is the correct answer /images/graemlins/smile.gif please elaborate)

David Sklansky
10-26-2006, 02:26 AM
"Do you really want a god that you can completely understand?"

Most people wouldn't. Just like most people don't want a world where there it is very advantageous to understand chemistry or to have the willpower to exercise. But since people can't change that, they make up stories that postulate a god that doesn't reward those things.

Lestat
10-26-2006, 03:23 AM
The God of the bible is anything but logical and I don't even think many Christians would put up much of an argument to the contrary.

Why do most atheists demand logic? Because all-knowing and irrationality don't mix well.

Lestat
10-26-2006, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have to live with the threat of eternal torture hanging over my head every second, then yeah... I'd like to understand him.

FortunaMaximus
10-26-2006, 04:06 AM
Does that threat influence your moral decisions? It may be a necessary step for predatory species to evolve.

cambraceres
10-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Why is this getting so hairy?

Can it not be simple?

Psychologically gratifying

Cam