PDA

View Full Version : 25NL 6 max: Flop straight to monotone board.

floppy
10-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Thoughts on response to Villan's raise?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $29.80
CO: $23.35
Hero: $114.65
SB: $24.75
BB: $34.80

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.85</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.05, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $4</font>

Reef
10-25-2006, 03:35 PM
fold preflop.

--
call and raise any non spade turn

but also fine if you popped it to $15.

floppy
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the button, doesn't that seem super nitty?

IceMuncher
10-25-2006, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the button, doesn't that seem super nitty?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had JJ or something. Folding 98o to a pf raise, is never 'nitty', even with the button.

robinmbuk
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]With the button, doesn't that seem super nitty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not super nitty. I'd rather have something like 65s than 98o. 98o only really makes the ignorant end of straights while the pf raiser makes the top end. But I don't think a call here pf is too bad. People on this forum just seem tight pf.

Leviathan101
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I think 98o is a fold here preflop most of the time. I call and mix it up to suprise people but generally fold here.

generally people on this forum are tight preflop, because it is generally more profitable to be tighter. Playing 89o here is not really considered a great move simply because you totally miss a lot of flops, and without a reason to believe you can take the pot away, its not really a good idea. What do you do if you cold call and the flop comes K95r? Fold if he leads?

a big danger with 89 is when you flop TJQ. If he raised preflop, then c/r you AI someone in the hand now what? AK is most defintely a part of his range. If you have a straight like 567 you are much less likely to get action. JTo is a better hand then 89 simply because you straights are more likely to be best and you can still get action a lot from a lot of straights you can make.

EDIT: oh ya the flop.

I raise the flop here almost everytime. If you're pretty deep, I fold to 3 bet. If you're shorter, I call the 3 bet AI. Any reads on villian?

floppy
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for pointing out the particular dangers of 98.

Villain had just sat down, so no reads.

One problem here is connected to what you were saying about 98: villain could have a high spade and a gutshot to a higher straight for 12 outs, so a reraise doesn't mean I'm drawing dead here, not in the least.

A call would allow me to see if the next card is a blank, but that calls into question why I'm playing these cards in the first place. (That's a little unfair, since only 1/16ths of my flopped straights are going to be monotone.)

pokerchap
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
its 98o? not nitty at all to fold even if it is the button.

RR AI and let him call with the Ace of spades+ some pair or something.