PDA

View Full Version : Flush but reraised on river.

tehDiceman
10-25-2006, 01:41 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($7.14)
MP1 ($1.72)
MP2 ($3.60)
CO ($2.24)
Button ($0.98)
Hero ($0.98)
BB ($3.06)
UTG ($2.31)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.18) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.08</font>, CO calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.34) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.1</font>, CO calls $0.10.

River: ($0.54) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.94</font>, Hero????

Jouster777
10-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Tough one...to state the obvious, your decision hinges on whether he is ~3x as likely to have K/images/graemlins/heart.gif/boat compared to lower/images/graemlins/heart.gif/bluff

You are probably beaten here but with only $0.45 left he'll show up with something goofy often enough to make it a call.

Vammakala
10-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Calls getting 3-to-1. He called you twice, unless he has like AJ (doubtfully) or AK, I don't think you have to worry about a bigger heart. And raise to 10c pf, 4 BB + 1 BB/limper.

Actually I wouldn't mind a call here preflop part of the time too (dominantly bigger part probably), you're in bad spot with marginalish hand (considering it's full ring and you're out of position). No need to make the pot huge against random hand.

Also the flop bet is too weak in my opinion as is the turn. Try betting between half the pot and pot. If you're going under in any other than very large pots, I suggest you really look at the bet and think of what it will succeed. In this one, you got to river quite cheaply where you made your first "properly sized" bet.

But this kind of hands are iffy and I think you're just putting the money in when you're most likely behind. Call and you can check-fold the flop and have lost 1c extra /images/graemlins/wink.gif Or raise properly and don't go two barrel on an unknown. And if you go, do it properly with bigger bets.

tehDiceman
10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
i called it, he had AJ, smoked my money, and im pissed.

:-( it just seems like i CANT play cash games anymore, that is all i played forever and a day, played a SNG like 3 days ago and now i just cant win cash games anymore, ever. lost 3 bucks on two hands alone. one was this one, the second one i had trip Q on the flop and he called my all in of 2.50 something and pulled something stupid and beat me. dont remember, dont care, im still pissed.

maybe im just a suck fish. what a kick in the nuts.

netstorm
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
May I add one comment that you should reload preflop. playing with 50BB isnt an optimal play. As played, I would call this bet.

Make a 3/4 to PSB on flop. You are giving flush draws enough odds to call this.
If he calls that, he's either really fishy (and this happens plenty) or he is slowplaying trips. Either check or 1/2 pot bet the turn. Your turn bet shows a lot of weakness, and most people would attack this bet.

tehDiceman
10-25-2006, 11:35 PM
you bring up an excellent point, one problem i have in cash games is not betting enough. i have no problem shoving all in on a good flop in a tourney, cash games "hit home" a little more for me since my bankroll is sub 50 bucks. another reason i dont reload often either as if i do, i have a feeling i would suckout my bankroll on my good hands that are trumped big from the getgo and i just dont know about it until the showdown.

Whitty81
10-25-2006, 11:55 PM
This might sound counterintuitive from a bankroll perspective, but at the penny stakes (I started with a $25 bankroll), the best advice is to:

1) 4-table
2) pot bet the flop on all of your raises
3) be very wary of aggression from the totally non-crazy opponents.
4) Aim to be TAG

The play at those stakes is so passive (or suicidal aggressive) that pure TAG play (especially in position) will be very profitable.

tehDiceman
10-26-2006, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This might sound counterintuitive from a bankroll perspective, but at the penny stakes (I started with a $25 bankroll), the best advice is to:

1) 4-table
2) pot bet the flop on all of your raises
3) be very wary of aggression from the totally non-crazy opponents.
4) Aim to be TAG

The play at those stakes is so passive (or suicidal aggressive) that pure TAG play (especially in position) will be very profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think im a quick enough player to 4 table. i sometimes have trouble with 2 and i dont do it very often. i tend to lose so much money at cash tables that i dont play them often anymore(none in the last three days). im trying to rebuild my bankroll after some heavy overbankroll losses. bout 3 more dollars to go until i have my deposit bank on this round and hopefully the .01/.02NL tables will be a little nicer to me after that.

with my constant losses on those tables, (down 9 bucks on .02NL table) i couldnt see myself playing them when i only had 20 bucks in my bankroll. now that it is 47, im a little better off and willing to try and win some of that moolah back. here is to hoping.

over the course of the last three days, my playing style has definetely gone the way of tag. the last tourney i played i was at around 100 hands with stats of 12ish/9/12. it was only 100 hands, but i am playing that way at the cash tables too and then the only hand that beats me hits on the river and i've gone all in for a couple bucks. after a few tables of those terrible beats, my bankroll suffers.

ymu
10-26-2006, 03:52 AM
I like the raise preflop at NL25 (maybe) and higher, but not at lower stakes. You get loads of players at micro-stakes open limping or limping behind with AK/QQ+ let alone AJ/99+. You won't get them to fold an A ever. You also won't get many of them to fold second pair, or a gutshot, or a 3 straight or backdoor flush on the flop. It's generally better to tighten up if you're not opening the pot, especially OOP, and c-bet a bit less OOP if there's an A on the flop (more of the players at these stakes will call raises with bad As and they don't think about kickers).

Other than that I don't hate the way you played this, except for the bet-sizing. Full pot on flop, half pot or c/c turn (depending on how aggressive he is) when you pick up a flush draw and have a chance to stack trips - he's not full most of the time on the river and he isn't going to fold trips ever.

ymu
10-26-2006, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
over the course of the last three days, my playing style has definetely gone the way of tag. the last tourney i played i was at around 100 hands with stats of 12ish/9/12.

[/ QUOTE ]
These stats look perfect - I was going to suggest aiming for 15/10. Take advantage of limpers and minraisers to call behind with good speculative hands in position for cheap. Don't take draws too far unless the implied odds are there, and know who will call off a 2x pot raise with TPNK or a straight on a flush board etc etc - try and get into pots with them.

This works well up to NL10 - after that, you'll need to start opening up a bit - but build the bankroll first.

AJGibson
10-26-2006, 04:13 AM
If you play with 50BB you should adopt a short stack strategy. This basically consists of being uber tight pre flop. Then when you do get a decent hand get it all in as quickly as possible.

Ed Miller recommends this in GSIH, basically ther idea is when you are learning or playing against better players than yourself you should adopt this stragegy. I prevents the better players from outplaying you on later streets as usually all your money goes in on the flop.

It also seems like a great way to get used to the game while you're on a short funds, but is also effective enough to build your bankroll.