PDA

View Full Version : Too little, too late PokerRoom (the make a difference campaign)

kidpokeher
10-25-2006, 11:42 AM
MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Support our efforts to ensure the freedom of the internet in the land of the free. Support the right of all U.S. citizens to play poker online. Make a donation now to the PokerRoom.com campaign fund!

All donations will be used to lobby for the protection of online poker, America's favourite online skill game. We are currently looking into the best way to organise our response by increasing our involvement with a number of grass roots organisations and lobby groups.

Everyone that makes a donation will automatically be included in an exclusive newsletter that will detail our progress with the lobbying. Updates will also be included in Pokah!

https://www.pokerroom.com/account/donation.php

I already cashed out but I donated the leftover $.60 change, lol.

LotteryOrPoker
10-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Are you kidding me?! They come out promoting people contacting their Congressmen and donating money to lobbying efforts AFTER the bill is signed by the President and you are going to essentially spam for them?! The place is on the verge of going busto anyway.

They are going to use this money lighters and gasoline before they torch the home office for insurance money. I would rather donate my change to the 700 club. Both groups are equally as worthy.

Sniper
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The place is on the verge of going busto anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

What FACTS is this statement based on?

Bilgefisher
10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I am all for contributing to a worthy cause. I do have some reservations about donating to a large income company. I have no idea how much they make, but I do know that they don't need my money to successful campaign their cause. This should be a business investment on thier part.

kidpokeher
10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Err... I'm not spamming for them. I'm simply pointing out the ridiculousness of getting involved after the bill was signed, instead of before. I guess my thread title wasn't clear.

LotteryOrPoker
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters, Reuters:

[ QUOTE ]
Bwin could be pushed to the brink, having paid heavily for Swedish online poker site Ongame earlier this year to gain access to the U.S. market, said Leopold Salcher, an analyst at Austria's RCB. "This could break their neck," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/news/story?id=2610365

Secondly their stock value:

52wk Range: 13.35 - 105.50
Last Trade: 16.31 €

Third, already having been in trouble, they are forced to dump 60-80% of their market share (depending on which stats they provide that you believe). You read this forum and post in here enough, you have seen all of this. Why ask a rhetorical question? This is not new.

dragonystic
10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Err... I'm not spamming for them. I'm simply pointing out the ridiculousness of getting involved after the bill was signed, instead of before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth do you believe it's too late to do anything? The bill getting signed was the beginning not the end.

There are many battles to be fought in the near future. It's in poker players best interest to have as many well funded groups fighting for us.

Don't be so damn defeatist.

LotteryOrPoker
10-25-2006, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Err... I'm not spamming for them. I'm simply pointing out the ridiculousness of getting involved after the bill was signed, instead of before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth do you believe it's too late to do anything? The bill getting signed was the beginning not the end.

There are many battles to be fought in the near future. It's in poker players best interest to have as many well funded groups fighting for us.

Don't be so damn defeatist.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the incompetence this site has shown in the past, I would rather not have them on my side. I would prefer to let the opposition have them, it would help our odds.

thylacine
10-25-2006, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Support our efforts to ensure the freedom of the internet in the land of the free. Support the right of all U.S. citizens to play poker online. Make a donation now to the PokerRoom.com campaign fund!

All donations will be used to lobby for the protection of online poker, America's favourite online skill game. We are currently looking into the best way to organise our response by increasing our involvement with a number of grass roots organisations and lobby groups.

Everyone that makes a donation will automatically be included in an exclusive newsletter that will detail our progress with the lobbying. Updates will also be included in Pokah!

https://www.pokerroom.com/account/donation.php

I already cashed out but I donated the leftover $.60 change, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players already make a huge donation. It's called rake .

Sniper
10-25-2006, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters, Reuters:

[ QUOTE ]
Bwin could be pushed to the brink, having paid heavily for Swedish online poker site Ongame earlier this year to gain access to the U.S. market, said Leopold Salcher, an analyst at Austria's RCB. "This could break their neck," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Third, already having been in trouble, they are forced to dump 60-80% of their market share (depending on which stats they provide that you believe). You read this forum and post in here enough, you have seen all of this. Why ask a rhetorical question? This is not new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask the question, because it is clear that you are not understanding the information that is being presented to you.

First, don't believe everything you read... there is no reason to believe that BWIN is going busto... BWINs current market value is over 500 Millon... and they are expected to continue to show a profit. The margins in this business are huge.

Second, saying that the stock went down therefore its going to zero is flawed reasoning... you do not know if the higher value was merely irrationally too high and its just corrected to true value. If this stock was going Busto, the stock price would be much closer to zero /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Third, as far as I can tell, the US market is a much smaller percentage of BWINs business, than of many of its competitors.

Before you make statements about a company going busto, you might want to get your facts straight!

LuckyTxGuy
10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I said it 100 times before this ban went through...these companies were sitting around on their thumbs acting like there was no chance that 70%+ of their income could disappear overnight. As I predicted, internet gambling/poker was the largest industry to just sit by silently while their business was outlawed in their main country of business.

Now they all come along and start campaigns to write your elected officials etc. Brilliant! A day late and a dollar short.

LotteryOrPoker
10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters, Reuters:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask the question, because it is clear that you are not understanding the information that is being presented to you.

First, don't believe everything you read... there is no reason to believe that BWIN is going busto... BWINs current market value is over 500 Millon... and they are expected to continue to show a profit. The margins in this business are huge.

Second, saying that the stock went down therefore its going to zero is flawed reasoning... you do not know if the higher value was merely irrationally too high and its just corrected to true value. If this stock was going Busto, the stock price would be much closer to zero /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Third, as far as I can tell, the US market is a much smaller percentage of BWINs business, than of many of its competitors.

Before you make statements about a company going busto, you might want to get your facts straight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, I will ignore the analysts, ignore the decline in their stock value, and ignore the fact that 60-80% of their market is US. I have seen you state zero facts. You just spout off, and say whatever you like without backing it up at all. Reading your posts (not just in this thread), is like reading Negreanu's blog and entries about politics. Get a grip and a clue.

LotteryOrPoker
10-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Since you are so confident Sniper, are you out buying up their stock? lmao.

emptyshell
10-26-2006, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now they all come along and start campaigns to write your elected officials etc. Brilliant! A day late and a dollar short.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, how does it help us now? I'm not sure I understand the attitude of many of the posters here. I would bet that the poker industry agrees that they should have acted sooner, but they can't go back in time. Why not be more supportive of efforts now?

Sniper
10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yes, I will ignore the analysts, ignore the decline in their stock value, and ignore the fact that 60-80% of their market is US. I have seen you state zero facts. You just spout off, and say whatever you like without backing it up at all. Reading your posts (not just in this thread), is like reading Negreanu's blog and entries about politics. Get a grip and a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Analysts have a tendency to provide bad advice... this is well proven by extensive analysis that has been published in regard to their calls. When an analyst has a buy on a stock at 100, and then switches to a sell when its at 10, it is clear that the analyst is reactive and not proactive... This is a Fact!

While you should not ignore the recent decline in the stock price, just because a stock has gone down does not mean it is going Busto, which is what you said... This is a Fact!

In the case of this particular company, their overall market for US players is much smaller than others... This is a Fact! (you can follow the impact of their loss of US players in the tracking thread)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but my statements are based on the facts... this is not a company going busto! /images/graemlins/wink.gif